Sorry, currently we have no listings for this cemetery. This cemetery was adopted by Joyce Church on February 14, 2000. Her results are forthcoming.
Please contact the SCHGS with any questions.
The following is taken from Cemeteries in Sumner County, Kansas by Harvey and Ruth Swan (1983).
"Conway Springs Cemetery, Springdale Twnsp, R 3 W, T 31, Sec 2, NW 1/4 or NW 1/4. Location from Conway Springs: 1 E.
This cemetery was originally known as Green Valley Union Cemetery.
In a Warranty Deed dated Sept 1, 1880, and filed Oct. 1, 1880, Joel L. Booth and wife Eliza deeded to The Trustees of the Green Valley Union Cemetery, the following real property for the sum of $20.00: Beginning at the Northwest corner of Section 2, Township 31 South, Range 3 West, in Sumner County, Kansas, then East 42 rods, thence South 17 rods, then West 42 rods, then North 17 rods to the beginning, so long as used for cemetery purposes.
Later W.S. Hawley, Eli Whitmore and W. T. Edwards, the only surviving Trustees of the Green Valley Union Cemetery gave a Warranty Deed dated Feb 20, 1900, and filed April 9, 1900, to the City of Conway Springs, the following described land:
Beginning at the Northwest corner of Section 2, Township 31 South, Range 3 West, then East 42 rods, then South 17 rods, then West 42 rods, then North 17 rods to beginning, EXCEPT a certain parcel or lot of said ground described as follows: Beginning at a point 293 feet East and 160 feet South of Northwest corner of Section 2, Township 31 South, Range 3 West, same being a part of the Lot 4 of the land heretofore described and deeded to John McKibben, et al, in Trust, May 24, 1897, all in Sumner County, Kansas.
It is believed at this time the name was changed to its present name of "Conway Springs Cemetery".
On what is believed to be the oldest identified grave marker is this inscription: "Alzora, daughter of R and E.J. Monnet; wife of John A. Reeves; died May 2, 1879; age 18 years, 10 months, and 14 days."
This page was created by Cindy Ball and is now maintained by the Sumner County Historical & Genealogical Society