Sorry, Currently there are no listings for this cemetery. If you would like to "adopt" this cemetery by completing a thorough inventory of grave stones, please contact the SCHGS for further instructions.
The following is taken from Cemeteries in Sumner County, Kansas by Harvey and Ruth Swan (1983).
"Green Castle Cemetery, Illinois Twnsp, R2W, T30, Sec 35, NW 1/4 of NW 1/4. Location fro Anson: 2 1/2 N, 1 E.
The cemetery was established in 1881.
A Warranty Deed from Jesse W. Green and wife, Lizzie M. was given to the Trustees of the Argonia Monthly Meeting of the Church of Friends, dated Jan. 19, 1884 and filed Jan. 22, 1884, for the following described tract of land:
"Beginning at the NW corner of the ? of the N 1/2 of the NW 1/4 of Sec 35, T30, R2W, in Sumner Co., Kans, then E 25 rods, the S 13 rods, then W 25 rods, then N 13 rods to beginning."
A Quit Claim Deed from Homer Harsh, CE Haworth, and Ray McCall, Trustees of the Argonia Monthly Meeting of the Church of Friends, Argonia, Kansas, to Illinois Township, dated April 5, 1946, filed April 30, 1946, states this tract has 2 acres and covers the same land description as the first deed.
The a third deed was written in 1955 which states: "Beginning on the North line of the Northwest Quarter of Sec 35, 18 rods East of the Northwest corner thereof, thence East 7 rods, South 13 rods, West 7 rods, and North 13 rods to the place of beginning, to be used only for parking area and cemetery purposes and when it ceases to be used for such purposes said tract shall revert back to The Argonia Monthly Meeting of the Church of Friends, Argonia, Kansas."
This Deed was authorized by a majority vote of the members of the Argonia Monthly Meeting of the Church of Friends, Argonia, Kansas, at a regular meeting held on October 19, 1955.
The last deed is where the church used to stand.
The oldest marker read: DM Green, died Sept. 21, 1882, age 38 years, 6 months.
On the marker of Mary Kerns, a 28 year old lady, is this inscription: "How Many Hopes Be Buried Here".
This page was created by Cindy Ball and is now maintained by the Sumner County Historical & Genealogical Society