|The county was formally organized by the governor's proclamation on February 7th, 1871, and the first county seat election, and election of permanent county officers, was held on September 26th, 1871. The county was divided into three commissioners districts, and into four voting precincts. The election of the first precinct was held at Belle Plaine; the election of the second precinct was held at the house of Henry Brown, in Greene Township; the third precinct held their election at Wellington; the fourth voting precinct included the southwest quarter of the county; the election was held at Colson and Ryland's Ranch. This territory has since been divided, and now includes the following named townships: Morris, Chikaskia, Downs, Jackson, South Haven, Falls, Caldwell and Bluff.|
The first county officers elected were the following named individuals: County Commissioner, First District, David Richards; Second District, A. D. Rosencrans; Third District, Reuben Riggs; County Clerk, C. S. Broadbent; County Treasurer, R. Freeman;Probate Judge, G. M. Miller; Register of Deeds, J. Romine; Sheriff, J. J. Ferguson; Coroner, Charles D. Brande; County Attorney, George N. Godfrey; Clerk of the District Court, W. A. Thompson; Superintendent of Public Instruction, A. M. Colson; County Surveyor, W. A. Ramsey.
Officers elected to office in the Fourth Precinct: C. E. Sullivan, Trustee; M. H. Lester and George Mack, Justices of the Peace; Frank Barrington, Clerk; G. W. Peters, Treasurer; C. P. Epps and John J. Youell, Constables; T. S. Anderson and Noble Jewitt, Road Overseers. The total number of votes polled in the county was 805.
During this time a great race was being made to determine where the county seat should be located. The towns contesting for the county seat were, Wellington, Sumner City, Meridian and Belle Plaine. Gov. Harvey issued a proclamation on February 7th, 1871, appointing Meridian as the temporary county seat; in accordance with the prayer of a petition from Meridian, also appointed W. J. Ughler, J. S. McMahon and J. J. Abell, Temporary County Commissioners. As a matter of fact, Meridian was at this time, a purely imaginary town, as its site had not been so much as staked out or stepped off. It was not until July 17, 1871, that the town company was organized. No steps were taken toward providing for the seat of county government at Meridian, and when the commissioners met on June 15, 1871, on the open prairie near the supposed site of the town, they ordered the future business of the county to be transacted at Wellington. After much wrangling between towns, and several elections, Wellington became the permanent county seat.
Township Map of Sumner County
Sumner County News
|Click HERE for a very large modern map. Map shows towns, creeks, rivers and cemeteries as well as roads in the county. Map will open in a new tab or window. You will most likely need to right click on the image to show the map full size.|
Click HERE for Map legend. Click HERE for Detail Views from Map.
(Note : These images are VERY large.)
|Sumner County Cemetery Listing on Find-A-Grave||Sumner County Cemetery Listings on Interment.net|
|Sumner County Historical and Genealogical Society
Wellington, Kansas 67152
|Sumner County Historical and Genealogical Research Center
208 N. Washington
Tuesday 10am - 4pm.
(May be closed for lunch)
Also Open by appointment.
|Sumner County Mail List on Rootsweb||Sumner County Message Board on Rootsweb|
|General Kansas Mail List on Rootsweb||General Kansas Message Board on Rootsweb|
|Sumner County Message Board on Genforum||General Kansas Message Board on Genforum|
|Surnames on Our Family Tree|
|Sedgwick County | Butler County | Cowley County |Harper County | Kingman County|
Kay County, Oklahoma | Grant County, Oklahoma
|Proud Member of the Trails To The Past family of web pages. Dedicated to free genealogy.
Your Host for Sumner County Billie Walsh