A Standard History of Kansas and Kansans

Volume III

by William E. Connelley Chicago : Lewis, 1918

===================================================================================================
NOTICE: In keeping with our policy of providing free information on the Internet, data may be used by non-commercial entities, as long as this message remains on all copied material. These electronic pages may NOT be reproduced in any format for profit or for presentation by other persons or organizations.

Persons or organizations desiring to use this material for purposes other than stated above must obtain the written consent of the file contributor.

This file was contributed for use in the Kansas AHGP Jackson County by Chyrl Lawrence-Bulger
===================================================================================================

 

Charles J. buckingham The experiences oŁ Charles J. Buckingham in Kansas cover almost half a. century. He came to the state in 1868, was for many years successfully identified with the farming, stockraising and public life of Leavenworth. and Wabaunsee County, but in 1912 retired and moved to Topeka, where he enjoys the comforts of a city home at 1029 Lane Street.

He was bom in 1837, in Clermont County, near Miamiville, Ohio. His people were among the earliest and most prominent pioneers of this section of Southern Ohio. His grandfather, Enoch, a native of Pennsylvania, was one of the first white men to effect a permanent settlement in. the neighborhood of Cin­cinnati. He was born about 1770, and -went to the Ohio valley before the lands had been opened to set­tlement by treaty with the Indian tribes. To locate on the Little Miami Elver at that time and under such conditions was a very hazardous undertaking. Most of the early pioneers in that section of Ohio put up log houses, but his first habitation was a hollow sycamore log, of immense size, and served the purpose of a human habitation, in some respects even better than the typical log cabins of that day. Enoch Buckingham subsequently located near Milford, where during the Civil war Camp Dennison was established. He and a few other daring spirits were the first settlers of the Little Miami Valley.  He died in 1846.

   Of his family of seven children one was Horatio Buckingham, who was born in l806, and, like his father, became a man of considerable importance in the Miami Valley, owned extensive landed properties, was a merchant, and by his character and achieve­ments gained the respect and esteem of a large com­munity. In 1834 Horatio Buckingham married Miss Jane Day. Her father, a native of New Jersey, was also among the early arrivals in Clermont County, Ohio, and was a substantial farmer there. Horatio Buckingham was born on the western bank of the Miami River in Hamilton County, Ohio. He and his wife Jane had five children. The names of his children were:  Agnes Day, Charles J., Albert G., Louisa J., and Oregon. Agnes married J. W. Paxton, of Clermont County, Ohio, where he was a farmer. She died in 1915, at the age of eighty-one years. Albert, who was a farmer in Hamilton County, Ohio, died in 1912. Louisa, who is still living at an ad­vanced age -in Ohio, though an invalid, married Thomas M. Vandervort.  Oregon died in infancy. By a second marriage, to Euphema Chamberlin, Horatio Buckingham had three sons;   Louis B., Walter 0. and Victor, but the last named died when two years old.

   Charles Jeffreys Buckingham was reared, and. edu­cated in the vicinity of his birthplace in Southern Ohio. On coming to Kansas in 1868 he located six miles north of Lawrence in Leavenworth County. There in partnership with his brother he bought a section of land, but somewhat later he acquired his brother's interest, and began extending his holdings until he was the owner of about 1,000 acres. In that locality for about a quarter of a century he was one of the most extensive and also one of the most successful farmers and stockraisers. The suc­cess with which he directed his private affairs brought him the" confidence of his fellow citizens, and in 1889 he was elected treasurer of Leavenworth County, and by re-election in 1891 filled the office four years. In 1899 he removed to Wabaunsee County, and again acquired a ranch property, on which he raised stock for fifteen years. Before settling in Topeka Mr, Buckingham made some large investments in Western Kansas land, principally in Ford County, and these he still owns.

   In 1861 he married Miss Virginia Gatch, of  Cler­mont County, Ohio. Her father, Rev. George G. Gatch, was a native of Buckingham County, Virginia, and a son of Rev. Philip Gatch, one of the first itinerant Methodist ministers of Southern Ohio. Mr. and Mrs. Buckingham became the parents of two children. Presocia, who was born in 1862, is the wife of Prof. 0. G. Markham, dean and professor of Baker University. Agnes, who was born in 1864, died at the age of fifteen.'

   Mr. Buckingham married for his second, wife Mahala Hughes Gatch. They were married in 1868, and she died in 1880, the mother of two children, Edwin and Sarah. Edwin is a successful real estate man at San Antonio, Texas. Sarah, who was born July 4, 1871, first married Mr. Henry Aller, of Leavenworth, Kansas, in 1894, and her daughter by that marriage is now a student in Washburn College. Mr. Aller died in 1897, and she is now the wife of  Mr. Lloyd B. Smith, vice president of the Topeka

 


Charles Jeffreys Buckingham was reared and educated in the vicinity of his birthplace in Southern Ohio. On coming to Kansas in 1868 he located six miles north of Lawrence in Leavenworth County. There in partnership with his brother he bought a section of land, but somewhat later he acquired his brother's interest, and began extending his holdings until he was the owner of about 1,000 acres. In that locality for about a quarter of a century he was one of the most extensive and also one of the most successful farmers and stockraisers. The success with which he directed his private affairs brought him the confidence of his fellow citizens, and in 1889 he was elected treasurer of Leavenworth County, and by re-election in 1891 filled the office four years. In 1899 he removed to Wabaunsee County, and again acquired a ranch property, on which he raised stock for fifteen years. Before settling in Topeka Mr. Buckingham made some large investments in Western Kansas land, principally in Ford County, and these he still owns.
In 1861 he married Miss Virginia Gatch, of Clearmont County, Ohio. Her father, Rev. George G. Gatch, was a native of Ruckingham County, Virginia, and a son of Rev. Philip Gatch, one of the first itinerant Methodist ministers of Southern Ohio. Mr. and Mrs. Backingham became the parents of two children. Presocia, who was born in 1862, is the wife of Prof. O. G. Markham, dean and professor of Baker University. Agnes, who was born in 1864, died at the age of fifteen.
Mr. Buckingham married for his second wife Mahala Hughes Gatch. They were married in 1868, and she died in 1880, the mother of two children, Edwin and Sarah. Edwin is a successful real estate man at San Antonio, Texas. Sarah, who was born July 4, 1871, first married Mr. Henry Aller, of Leavenworth, Kansas, in 1894, and her daughter by that marriage is now a student in Washburn College. Mr. Aller died in 1897, and she is now the wife of Mr. Lloyd B. Smith, vice president of the Topeka [p.1239] Iron & Bridge Company. Mr. Buckingham married for his third wife Mrs. Melcena Odell, of Jefferson County, Kansas. Mrs. Buckingham has a son by her former marriage, Frank Odell, who is in the real estate business at Dodge City, Kansas, and largely interested in the growing of wheat in Western Kansas.
 


Charles Wilbur McCampbell. Associate professor of animal husbandry in the State Agricultural College at Manhattan and secretary of the State Livestock Registry Board whose offices are in the same city, Charles W. McCampbell is a native Kansan and for ten years has broadened and amplified his experience and authoritative knowledge of all phases of the livestock industry, not only with reference to Kansas but to the world at large. While he has perhaps rendered his greatest service as an instructor of the younger generation of Kansas farmers, some of his practical demonstration work and experiments have attracted national attention from livestock men.

He was born on his father's farm in Marshall County, Kansas, February 1, 1882, is still a young man, and his usefulness has not yet reached its prime. He comes of two old and highly respected American families. The McCampbells are of Scotch ancestry, and from that stock he inherits the traits and characteristics which have made Scotch people leaders in every part of the world. In the maternal line he is of English and German ancestry. In both lines the family has been represented in Kansas since pioneer times. His maternal grandfather, Heber Freeman, came to Kansas in 1862, settling in Washington County. The paternal grandfather, William McCampbell arrived in Kansas in 1869 and also settled in Marshall County. Both grandparents came from Iowa. The parents, James A. and Kate (Freeman) McCampbell, were born in Ohio and were married after they came to Kansas. They then settled on a farm in Marshall County, and after many years of industry there moved to Manhattan, where they now reside. They have two sons, Charles Wilbur and Andrew Delos. Both sons grew up partly in Marshall County and partly in Wabaunsee County.
 

Charles W. McCampbell attended the public schools at Alma, Kansas, then attended the Normal University at Salina, and having definitely determined that his tastes and inclinations were toward the agricultural profession, he entered the Kansas State Agricultural College at Manhattan, where he was graduated Bachelor of Science in 1906. The year following his graduation was spent in the employ of the United States Department of Agriculture in the Bureau of Animal Industry.
 

With this practical experience he returned to the Agricultural College at Manhattan, and continued his studies in the veterinary school until graduating in 1910 with the degree D. V. M. He then became an instructor in the department of animal husbandry at the college.
Concurrently with the latter office he has held the position of secretary of the Kansas State Livestock Registry Board. Through these two positions he has carried on his work which has brought him an enviable reputation. A few years ago Mr. McCampbell carried out the most extensive and carefully managed horse feeding experiment ever conducted, and undoubtedly the most valuable from a practical standpoint. The results of this experiment are now considered as a standard of reference among progressive horsemen all over the country.
 

Mr. McCampbell is president of the National Association of State Livestock Registry Boards, is a member of the American Society of Animal Production, and is secretary of the Kansas Horse Breeders Association. He is also a member of the Phi Kappa Phi, the Alpha Zeta, the Alpha Pai, all national fraternities, and a member of the Beta Theta Pi social fraternity.
In 1913 he married Miss Jessie Edwina Apitz of Manhattan.


Prof. Julius Terrass Willard. Not so many years ago many men regarded the application of science to agriculture as an idle theory and it is within the lifetime of such men as Prof. Julius Terrass Willard, dean of the division of general science, professor of chemistry, and chemist of the agricultural experiment station, in the Kansas State Agricultural College, at Manhattan, that these doubters have been convinced. Applied science has not only revolutionized many phases of agriculture but is bringing this most important of industries to the forefront in scholarly study and research. America has held her position for many years as a granary of the world, but future conditions will tax her power to produce crops and livestock, and the cry for food from hungry people in this and other lands may find no adequate supply. To such men as Professor Willard the country must turn for expert assistance in preventing this condition.

Julius Terrass Willard was born on a farm near Wabaunsee, in Wabaunsee County, Kansas, April 9, 1862, and is a son of Julius F. and Mary Elizabeth (Terrass) Willard. The progenitor of the Willard family, Simon Willard, came from England to Massachusetts in May, 1634, settling near Boston. The name is well and favorably known in New England to the present day. Julius F. Willard, father of Professor Willard, was born in Farmington, Connecticut, August 2, 1835, and, as a member of the New Haven colony, popularly known as the Beecher Rifle and Bible Company, came to Kansas in 1856, settling in Wabaunsee County, where be engaged in farming until 1911.
 

In Wabaunsee County, Kansas, Julius F. Willard was married in March, 1861, to Mary Elizabeth Terrass, who was born in Ohio and came with her parents to Wabaunsee County, Kansas, in 1855. Her parents came to America from Germany but her father, Jacob Terrass, was of French lineage. Mrs. Willard died in 1885, at the age of forty-four years, the mother of five children of whom Julius T. was the eldest. March 27, 1889, Mr. Willard married Viola Bangs, and in 1911 moved to San Diego, California, where he now resides. He bears well the weight of age.
 

Julius T. Willard was reared on the home farm and there, in his youth learned valuable lessons through toil and perseverance which have influenced his whole career, and been potent factors in the success which has crowned his life of earnest effort. He attended the best school in the county, was studious and ambitious, and very early developed an interest in sciences. At the time there were fewer opportunities for schooling than at present, but he took advantage of all within his reach, and, in 1879, entered the Kansas State Agricultural College from which he was graduated in 1883 with the degree of Bachelor of Science, and has been identified with the institution almost continuously since. During his college course he gave much extra time to chemistry and spent the year 1887-88 in the study of that science in the Johns Hopkins University.
 

Mr. Willard began teaching as a student assistant in 1881, and was made a regular assistant on gradustion. In 1888 he was elected assistant chemist of the agricultural experiment station, and in 1890 assistant professor of chemistry. He was promoted to the associate professorship in 1896. From 1897 to 1901 he was professor of applied chemistry. Since 1901 as professor of chemistry he has served the state not only as head of the department of chemistry of the college, but also as chemist of the State Board of Agriculture and, since 1906, as a food analyst for the State Board of Health. He is an unusually faithful and efficient worker, and has given mucli valuable service in each of these capacities. Since 1897 he has been chemist of the agricultural experiment station, and was its director from 1900 to 1906, and has been vice director since 1907.
 

As a classroom instructor Professor Willard has few equals in clearness of presentation and permanency of results. He prepared a textbook for class use in organic chemistry, and smaller publications for other classes. In his connection with the experiment station his work has been of marked and permanent value. He has written numerous scientific articles and has produced valuable bulletins for the experlment station. He has been most interested in plant improvement and animal nutrition. In Bulletin No. 115 he described a method which he devised for exactly calculating a ration of specified characteristics. Since 1910 he has been given the added duties of chemist of the engineering experiment station. In 1908 he was honored by his Alma Mater with the degree of Doctor of Science.
 

In 1909 Professor Willard's faithful and efficient service for the college was recognized, and he was appointed to the newly created position of dean of the division of general science, a division of the college by which over one-half of the teaching is done. In this capacity Dean Willard has shown marked executive ability and strong leadership. He is recognized as having more deflnite information about the history and internal administration of the agricultural college than any other member of the faculty. He is also recognized as one of the most faithful and efficient workers, being an example in this respect for all of the teachers as well as the students connected with the institution. He has for years been a leading member of most of the important faculty committees, and has done as much as any one man, excepting the president of the college, toward directing the educational and other activities of the college with which he has been so long connected.
 

In 1884 Professor Willard was united in marriage with Mies Lydia Pierce Gardiner of Wakarusa, Kansas. Her father was from Rhode Island, and her mother was a Buffington, and from Pennsylvanis. They have one son, Charles Julius, who was graduated [p.1348] in 1908 from the Kansas State Agricultural College, and in 1910 from the agricultural college of the University of Illinois. He is engaged in practical and scientific agriculture.
Every Kansan is proud of the State Agricultural College and well he may be for seldom can be found a body of more thoroughly qualified instructors than is gathered here, and second to none is Professor Willard. Devoted as his life has been to the work of a teacher and student, research worker and administrator at the State Agricultural College and experiment station, Dean Willard has not been neglectful of his duties as a citizen and member of his community. Dean and Mrs. Willard have ever taken an active interest in the social and moral, as well as intellectual, welfare of the town and college. His life is not only an inspiration to thousands of young men and women of Kansas, but his labors and achievements are favorably known throughout many other states and even to the people of foreign nations.


Professor Willard is a fellow of the American Association for the Advancement of Science, and a member of the American Chemical Society and several other national scientific organizations. He is a member of the honorary scholarship society, Phi Kappa Phi, and is a master mason.
 


George H. Weeks. While Mr. Weeks has speat practically all his life in and around Belvue in Pottawatomie County, his reputation as a stock breeder is nothing less than state wide. His farm is famous for his splendid Percheron horses, and hardly less well known for his herd of Hereford cattle and his Poland China hogs.

Mr. Weeks was born January 18, 1877, and in the same year his parents removed to Pottawatomie County. His birth occurred in a rich and prosperous section of Northern Illinois, at LaMoille in Burean County. He is of English ancestry. His father, David Weeks, was born in Wiltshire, England, in 1835, and the grandfather was William Weeks, a native of the same country. In 1846 the family came to America, locating near Marsellus, New York, [p.1472] where the grandfather, William, died. He was a farmer. David Weeks was eleven years of age when brought to this country, and grew up near Marcellus, New York, and from there moved to Illinois. In 1877 he brought his family to Kansas and located on a farm five miles south of Belvue. That farm was his home until 1895, when he moved into the Village of Belvue. Few men in Kansas made a more generous success as a farmer than David Weeks, who died at Belvue in 1910. The quality of enterprise which was his has been transmitted to his children and George H. Weeks learned farming and stock raising under the capable direction of his father. Besides his original farm David Weeks had another place a half mile north of Belvue and altogether owned 1,100 acres. He made liberal provision for his children, giving each of the nine sons and daughters eighty acres and a similar tract to his wife. Three of the sons each bought eighty acres from their father, George H., R. W. and

J. D. David Weeks was a republican and held various township offices. He was a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. The maiden name of his wife was Mary Wiley. She was born in New York State in 1842 and is still living at Belvue. The record of the children is as follows: R. W., a merchant at Belvue; Charles E., who lives on the old homestead in Wabaunsee County, five miles south of Belvue; Charlotte, wife of Charles Locke, a farmer in Wabaunsee County; J. D., who was a successful farmer and died at Belvue in 1915; Elizabeth, wife of James Craig, who now owns and occupies an orange farm at Lake Hamilton in Florida; Minnie, who lives with her mother, widow of George Anderson, an electrician who died at Topeka; George H., who is the seventh in order of birth; Carrie, wife of Dr. J. A. Steinmeyer, a dentist at Topeka; and Loreene, wife of Fred Klasse, a Topeka merchant.
 

George H. Weeks received his early training in the public schools of Belvue, graduating from high school in 1897. Since leaving high school his energies and time have been assiduously devoted to farming and stock raising. He has developed one of the best known studs of Parcheron horses in the State of Kansas. He has about a dozen stallions of that famous breed. As a Hereford cattle raiser he has at this writing a herd of about 100, and he also raises many Poland China hogs and is an extensive buyer and seller. His main stock farm is located adjoining Bebrue on the south and west and comprises 220 acres. He also has 170 acres in Wabaunsee County and a farm of 240 acres north of Belvue. Besides this ample property he owns two dwelling houses in Belvue and is a stockholder and director in the Belvue State Bank.
He has not neglected those other interests which claim the attention of a public spirited, broad minded citizen. He attends the Methodist Episcopal Church, is affiliated with Pottawatomie Lodge No. 52 Ancient Free and Accepted Mason, at St. Mary's, and with Topeka Consistory No. 1 of the Scottish Rite. As a republican be has filled the office of township trustee.
In 1902 at Wamego he married Miss Nettie Helm, daughter of R. H. and Laura (Chase) Helm. Her father is a well-to-do retired farmer and he and his wife live at Wamego. Three children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Weeks: Georgia, born in October, 1905; Laura Gayle, born in October, 1911; and Lula Ethel, born in August, 1914.

 


William J. Stewart, M. D. His first years in. Kansas Doctor Stewart spent in the role of a practical farmer, but since finishing his medical course has been in successful practice as a physician and surgeon at Summerfield, Marshall County.
Doctor Stewart is of Scotch-Irish ancestry. His grandfather, William Stewart, was born at Strabane, Ireland, in 1808, and married Nancy Wilson, a native of the same place, born in 1806. Both of them were of Scotch-Irish families. They married in the old country and all their children were born in Ireland as follows: Charles, who became a farmer and died in Colorado; Belle, who lives at Laroy, Indiana, widow of James McKnight, a Union soldier and a farmer; Jennie, wife of James Carson, now postmaster at Hebron, Indians; and John Stewart. William Stewart and wife brought their family to America and became pioneer settlers in Lake County in the extreme northwest corner of Indiana in 1845. William Stewart followed farming and developed a tract of land in that wild section of country and he died at Crown Point, Indiana, in 1883 and his widow survived him and died in that city in 1902.

John Stewart, father of Doctor Stewart, was born in Strabane, Ireland, in 1843, and was two years of age when his parents settled near Crown Point, Indiana. He grew up on the old homestead, and at the age of nineteen, in 1862, enlisted for service in the Union army in the Ninth Indiana Infantry. He saw a great deal of active and strenuous service in the Army of the Cumberland. He was at the battles of Missionary Ridge, Chattanooga, Chickamauga and many other historic engagements in that section of the South. Following the war he returned to Crown Point, Indiana, took up farming and is still living in that community. He is a republican and member of the United Presbyterian Church. He married Melissa Young, who was born in Ohio in 1845 and is still living. Their children are: Dr. William J.; Clayton, a ranchman at Big Springs in Western Texas; Alice, wife of S. A. Vickers, who is in the horse and mule commission business at Sioux City, Iowa; Frank, who holds the degree Ph. G. from Northern Indiana University at Valparaiso, subsequently graduated from the School of Medicine and Surgery at Chicago, and is now a physician and surgeon at Eskridge, Kansas; Nellie, wife of Otto Gibbs, a farmer at Valparaiso, Indiana; Agnes May, who after proper training served three years as a missionary of the United Presbyterian Church in Egypt and is now the wife of Charles Simpson, a farmer at Hebron, Indiana; Ross, a farmer at Hebron, Indiana; Lizzie, wife of Fred Simpson, at Hebron, Indiana, farmer; and Harry, who still lives on the old homestead in Indiana.

Doctor Stewart grew up on his father's farm, attended the local schools and the high school at Hebron, and completed his preparatory education in the Northern Indiana University at Valparaiso. He came to Kansas in 1898, and for seven years was engaged in farming in Wabaunsee County. In 1905 he left the farm and entered the Medical School of Washburn College at Topeka, from which he was graduated M. D. in 1909. He was given his medical degree by the Medical School of the University of Kansas at Lawrence in 1914. Doctor Stewart after graduating began practice at Summerfield and has been enjoying a large and lucrative practice in that city for the past eight years. His offices are in the First National Bank Building, a structure be owns. He also has a residence on Main Street and a farm of 100 acres in Wabaunsee County. Doctor Stewart is a director in the First National Bank of Summerfield. He is a republican in politics and an active [p.1473] member and president of the board of trustees of the United Presbyterian Church. In 1896, at Crown Point, Indiana, he married Miss Mary Baird, daughter of Andrew and Mattie (Knox) Baird. Both her parents are now deceased, her father having been an Indiana farmer. Doctor and Mrs. Stewart have two daughters: Gertrude, born April 10, 1897, was graduated from the Summerfield High School in 1916 and is now attending the United Presbyterian College at Tarkio, Missouri. Martha, born February 6, 1905, is still a student in the public schools of Summerfield.


Frank A. Moss. For over thirty years the name Moss has been significant of the finest integrity and ability in connection with the banking affairs of St. Mary's. The First National Bank of that city is practically a product of the financial genius of the Moss family. The founder and for many years the president was the late John A. Moss, and that office is now filed by his son, Frank A. Moss.
 

The late John A. Moss was born in London, England, May 5, 1846, and had an experience that identified him with the frontier towns of Kansas. He grew up in his native city, and learned and followed the occupation of bookkeeper there. When he was twenty-one years of age he landed at New York City on May 5, 1867, and at the time was on his way to California. He proceeded across the continent only as far as Fort Harker, now known as Kanopolis, Kansas. There he found employment in the Quarter-master's Department of the United States army under Colonel Inman. From this Government service he found his next station in the Kaw Valley National Bank of Topeka, Kansas, and gained further experience in banking as an employee of the Adams Bank of Topeka and later the Maston Bank of Kansas City, Missouri.
 

Removing to Clay Center, Kansas, John A. Moss and John Streater established the Streater State Bank, which was subsequently merged with the [p.1480] Farmers and Merchants Bank. Mr. John Moss was cashier of that institution until 1885, when he came to St. Mary's and founded the First National Bank. He was its first cashier and subsequently became the controlling stockholder and filled the office of president until his death on June 17, 1905.
 

The First National Bank of St. Mary's is an institution with an enviable record. It has a capital stock of $50,000, surplus of $10,000 and undivided profits of $6,000. The present officers of the bank are: Frank A. Moss, president; Mrs. L. F. Moss, widow of the late John A. Moss, vice president; and E. H. Bushey, cashier. John A. Moss was a republican in polities and was a Knights Templar Mason.
His widow, who is still living at St. Mary's, bore the maiden name of Louise Frances Berlin. She was born in Latrobe, Pennsylvania, in 1856. There were only two children, the older being Ada, wife of J. J. Graham, who owns and conducts the Specialty Printing Company of Kansas City, Missouri.

Frank A. Moss, only son of his father, was born at Clay Center, Kansas, April 17, 1882, but has lived at St. Mary's since he was three years of age. He attended the public schools there, graduating from high school in 1899, and took his collegiate work in Washburn, from which college he holds the degree A. B., granted in 1903. On leaving college Mr. Moss at once returned to St. Mary's and was given the post of assistant cashier in his father's bank. From that he was promoted to cashier and in January, 1917, entered upon his duties as president.

Mr. Moss was formerly an alderman of St. Mary's and under the commission charter holds the office of Commissioner of Finance and Utility. He is a republican and is active in the Masonic Order. He is affiliated with Pottawatomie Lodge No. 52, Ancient Free and Accepted Masons, at St. Mary's, Wamego Chapter No. 53, Royal Arch Masons, and Topeka Consistory No. 1 of the Scottish Rite, Besides his home on Palmer Street Mr. Moss owns a farm of ninety acres in Wabaunsee County.

September 14, 1904, at Topeka, he married Miss Edith Guibor, daughter of Dr. C. H. and Fannie (Inmsa) Guibor. Her father was a successful Topeka physician, who died in that city in 1901. He was a widely known specialist in diseases of the nose, throat and lungs. Mrs. Guibor is still living in Topeka. Mr. and Mrs. Moss have two children: Francis Eleanor, born October 2, 1905; and Frank Berlin, born September 28, 1908.
 


Josiah Thomas Genn. Sixty years ago, when Kansas was a territory and the bone of contention between the slavery and anti-slavery forces, Josiah Thomas Genn arrived and homesteaded a tract of land just south of the Kansas River, not far from the Town of Wamego. In the same year that he took his homestead Pottawatomie County was organized. Mr. Genn still has that homestead, a highly developed farm, has much other land in addition, and gives more or less active superintendence to the growing of his crops. With the growing weight of years he retired to a home in Wamego and has gradually resigned many of the responsibilities which formerly engaged his time and energies. He has long been one of the prominent men in that section of the state.

He comes of an old Maine family. During colonial days three brothera of the name Genn came from Scotland. One went to Massachusetts, one to Virginia and the other, great-grandfather of Mr. Genn, established a home at Buckaport, Maine. Josiah Thomas Genn was born at Atkinson in Piscatiquis County, Maine, August 22, 1832, eighty-five years ago. His father, Capt. Thomas Genn, was a sturdy and honest seafarer. Born in Maine in 1799, he was a fisherman from the age of thirteen, and year after year he regularly took his boat to the banks of Newfoundland and made his annual eatch of fish. The only exception to this work was when he went to California in 1849, spending two years in the gold country. He died at Atkinson, Maine, in 1858. Politically he was a democrat and was always an earnest Christian and a supporting member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. He married for his second wife Mrs. Betsey (Lewis) Studley. That was her third marriage. Her first husbands were named Cook and Studley. Capt. Thomas Genn and wife had six children: Sallie Jane married Gilman Lyford, a carpenter, and both died in Piscataquis County, Maine; Mary Lewis married Washington Varney, a farmer and a veteran of the Civil war, and they died at Mila in Piscataquis County; Servina married W. E. Gould, a merchant and township official most of his life at Milo, where both of them died; Sabrey died at Dover, Maine, in 1911, and her husband, Zebulon Dow, a farmer, died at the same place in 1915; the fifth in age is Josiah Thomas; Helen, who now lives at Lawrence, Kansas, married W. F. Cotton, and they came to Kansas in 1857 and settled on a farm in Wabaunsee County, where Mr. Cotton died. The mother of these children was born in Maine in 1799 and died in Wabaunsee County, Kansas, in 1863.

Josiah Thomas Genn secured his education in the public and private schools of Atkinson, Maine. At the age of twenty-four he began working on a farm for himself and soon afterward, in 1857, came to Kansas, locating in Wabaunsee County. On April 1, 1857, he took up a homestead of 105 acres located a mile south and a half mile west of Wamego, near the south bank of the Kansas River and in Wabaunsee County. Mr. Genn still owns that homestead and altogether has 300 acres. In earlier years he was a successful horse and cattle raiser and has done much diversified farming. In 1917 he supervised the planting of 150 acres in corn and fifty acres in wheat and at this writing both give promise of excellent crops.

Since 1899 Mr. Genn has lived at Warnego. In that year he became a depositor in the First National Bank, soon afterwards was elected a director and is now its vice president. He is also a stockholder in the Wamego State Bank and is the owner of considerable real estate. including his home on Ash Street and other dwelling houses on Ash, Vine and Maple streets.

Many times Mr. Genn has been called to office and public trust and responsibilities. His first big public service was when he enlisted in 1862, on May 20th, in Company L of the Eleventh Kansas Cavalry. This regiment for a time was commanded by Col. P. B. Phumb and afterwards by Colonel Moonlight. He saw active service along the frontier and in the campaigns against the Indians in the far Northwest. Mr. Genn participated in several fights with Indians in Montana. He went in as a private and was mustered out in September, 1865, as a sergeant. He has always remained a faithful old line republican. While living in Wabaunsee County he served as a justice of the peace, and at Wamego was elected to the city council, serving six years. On account of advancing age he finally resigned that office. He was also street commissioner six years and park commissioner fifteen years, serving as president of the board ten years. Formerly he was president of the Wamego Cemetery [p.1481] Association. He is a Mason, being affiliated with Wamego Lodge No. 75, Ancient Free and Accepted Masons, is king of Wamego Chapter No. 53, Royal Arch Masons, and belongs to Topeka Consistory No. 1 of the Scottish Rite.

Mr. Genn married at Topeka July 3, 1858, the year after he came to Kansas, Miss Malina Hilarity Cotton. She was born at Hartland, Vermont, June 21, 1832, and died at Wamego, Kansas, in June, 1915, at the age of eighty-three. She and her husband were married almost fifty-seven years.


Judge Robert C. Heizer. For fourteen years Judge Robert C. Heizer has been on the district bench at Osage City, and the dignities and honors of his later years are a merited tribute to a man who has always relied upon the principle of self help and endured many of the vicissitudes and hardships of early life in Kansas.

He was brought to Kansas in 1858, when two years of age. He had been born at Vermont in Fulton County, Illinois, in 1856. On coming to Kansas his parents located on a quarter section of land along the Santa Fe Trail in Osage County, in the vicinity of what is now Scranton. It is interesting to note that this old homestead is still owned by the family.
 

While growing up in that rude and simple community Judge Heizer obtained his early education by walking four miles a day to and from the schoolhouse. Subsequently he was sent back to Illinois to attend the common schools, and also had the advantages of the State Normal. For a time he taught, and following the leading of his ambitions for a legal career he spent two years of reading under Judge William Thomson. He was examined and passed the state bar examination under the old law, and for the past thirty-five years has been a successful attorney.
Judge Heizer had three brothers, but all of them are now deceased. His parents were Samuel and Elizabeth A. (Kirkpatrick) Heizer, his father a native of Kentucky and his mother of Missouri. The family were slave holders before the war, but afterward released their negroes and they came to Kansas as free state people. In religion the parents were old-school Presbyterians. For a time Samuel Heizer conducted a general store in Illinois, and meeting business reverses he sold out and came to Kansas, making the journey by boat as far as Kansas City and thence by wagon to Osage County. By trade Samuel was a tanner and currier.
 

Kansas was still a territory when the Heizers became identified with the country around Scranton. It required the hardest kind of work to make a home, and the acres of prairie were broken up with horses and oxen, and the first home was built from native lumber, which was used when still green and when it shrunk there was ample ventilation without the need of opening windows or doors. The family also endured the plague of grasshoppers and the many successive droughts during the decade of the '70s. In spite of it all Judge Heizer's father prospered, and he acquired considerable other land besides his homestead. He finally returned to Kentucky and engaged in merchandising, but soon found that the weight of years was bearing upon him and he returned to die in Kansas. He was a most devout Christian and held Scripture reading and prayer every might in his home. He had an implicit belief in a fixed division between right and wrong, and he guided his life according to what he believed. was right. He was a republican but never held any offices. He died in 1889, and his wife in 1901.
 

From 1882 to 1886 Judge Heizer held the office of county attorney. The duties of that office were exceedingly burdensome and difficult at the time, since it was the period of whiskey troubles, and Judge Heiser had to lead the forces of law observance, and after a hard fight they won.
On February 2, 1882, he married Minerva E. Whitman, a daughter of Professor J. F. Whitman. Professor Whitman was a noted educator in Kansas, at one time was professor of science of agriculture in the College of Pennsylvania, and later came to Kansas and was identified with Baldwin University and with the Agricultural College of Kansas. He was a native of Pennsylvania. Judge and Mrs. Heizer have four children: Florence M., who is a talented young woman, possessing a fine contralto voice, and is teacher of music and English in the high school of Manhattan; Robert S. is a practicing lawyer at Topeka; Crane is a graduate of the University of Michigan; Margaret lives at home; and Charles is now attending school at Emporia.
 

Only a few friends of Judge Heizer are aware that his earliest ambitions as a youth were to become an actor and make a figure on the dramatic stage. Eitber he had no opportunity to follow such a career or his plans changed, and anyway he has made a most successful lawyer. He has been a resident of Osage City since 1879. He was attorney for the Osage City Savings Bank, which later failed, and he had much to do with winding up its affairs. He has always been active in republican politics.
 

Governor Stanley appointed him judge of the Thirty-first District Court over the counties of Osage, Pottawatomis and Wabaunsee. He has been re-elected to this office four times without opposition, and has administered his office with an impartiality and dignity that do credit to the bench of the state. He has been consistently a worker for the benefit of his home city and county, and he helped organize the electric light plant at Osage. In a business way he has prospered, and besides owning the 160 acres of the old homestead he has about a thousand acres of farm land and considerable town property.
 

Judge Heizer is not affiliated with fraternal orders or with any church, but Mrs. Heizer is active in the Presbyterian Church, as are her children.
 


Stuewe Family. For thirty-four years the name Stuewe has been prominently identified with the material prosperity of Wabaunsee County. Those of the name here are all descended from Helmuth Stuewe, whose grandchildren and great-grandchildren are numerously represented in the county. John E. Stuewe was the son of Helmuth. He was a native of the Duchy of Mecklenburg, Germany, and was a farmer there. He married Lisette Schroeder. All their children were born in Germany and were named in order of birth, Edward, Ferdinand, Albert, Matilda, Meta, John H. and Otto.
In order to avoid the compulsory military duty incumbent upon the young men of Germany, John E. Stuewe with his father, wife and children, immigrated to the United States in 1871. They had friends living in Mitchell County, Kansas, and hither they moved and both Helmuth and John E. Stuewe, his son, homesteaded a quarter section of raw prairie land. On the land was plenty of limestone, and from this was built their first home. The rafters were made by axe from living trees.
 

Owing to a lack of means they were unable to shingle the roof of this house. To provide such means and also money sufficient to buy provisions, the two oldest boys, Edward and Ferdinand, hired out as farm hands in Dickinson County. The money they earned was entrusted to the mails and was stolen. To lose such an amount now would be considered lightly by members of the Stuewe family, but it was then a calamity, leaving the family practically destitute. John E. Stuewe at this crisis dug cellars for his neighbors in order to secure the money necessary to get flour and other of the simplest provisions at the local stores. The winter following their arrival the roof of the old house consisted of long grass which grew plentifully on the bottom lands. Their own land was broken with oxen and everyone worked hard and endured privations for the common good. The early pathway of the Stuewe family in Kansas was by no means strewn with roses. For a few years they barely existed and had to suffer the afflictions [p.1591] of draught and the grasshopper plague. How they managed to get through and gradually prosper would furnish material for a heroic story, but here it is possible only to suggest the outlines of that struggle.
 

In 1883 Ferdinand and Albert moved to Wabaunsee County and embarked in the creamery business in Alma. Both were young and strong and were willing to work long hours in order to get ahead. Helmuth Stuewe died in Mitchell County. In the early '90s the rest of the family moved to Wabaunsee County and here John E. Stuewe and wife passed the remainder of their days.
 

In Germany the youth of the land are taught the cardinal virtues of industry and economy. This was characteristic of the Stuewes. They worked hard, saved, were honest and at all times commanded wide respect. John E. Stuewe was a man of superior education. He stood about six feet tall, weighed nearly 200 pounds, was industrious and was a credit to the land of his adoption.
 

Ferdinand Stuewe was born March 19, 1853, and for the most part was educated in the old country. He was about eighteen when he crossed the ocean. In youth he was apprenticed to a merchant. It is customary in Germany for boys to enter articles of apprenticeship in merchandising lines as in the trades. This experience was no doubt of immense value to Ferdinand Stuewe and gave him the habits and practices which have made him so successful in later-years. His early life on the plains of Kansas was one of ceaseless toil. He helped build the old house in Mitchell County which is still standing, and aided in breaking the virgin soil.
 

After coming to Alma he married in October, 1885 Amelia Pope. In 1895 he engaged in farming and the cattle business and founded the Bank of Alma, of which he has since been president. As a republican he was elected and served two terms as treasurer of Wabaunsee County. In spiritual matters Mr. Stuewe adheres to the German Evangelical faith, which was that of his forebears. Eight children have been born to his marriage: Albert, Frieda, Paul A., Victor, Elma (deceased), Julius, Alma and Esther.
 


John W. Peters. For a number of years has been one of the leading ranchers and stock raisers and dealers in Wabannsee County. His home is at Eskridge and he has spent the greater part of his active life in that community.

Mr. Peters was born in Monroe County, West Virginia, March 2, 1862. His birth occurred after his father died and he was only two or three years old [p.1592] when he was orphaned by the death of his mother. He is of substantial Holland Dutch ancestry. His forefathers came from Holland and were colonial settlers in Pennsylvania. His grandfather, John Peters, was a native of Pennsylvania, and became a pioneer in Monroe County, West Virginia, or Old Virginia as it was then, Poterstown and Peters Mountain in that vicinity were named in his honor. He had a large plantation for the raising of tobacco and other crops and also kept a tavern and was a man of more than ordinary local prominenee. His death occurred at Peterstown. J. A. Peters, father of John W., was born at Peterstown in Monroe County in 1817, and died there in January, 1862. He spent his active life as a farmer, was a democrat, and was a working member of the Missionary Baptist Church. He married Sarah Peck, a sister of Senator Peck of West Virginia. She was born in Monroe County of that state in 1819 and died there in 1864. John W. was the youngest of their children. A record of the others is as follows: Ann, wife of B. M. Shumate, a farmer at Gardner, Kansas; Elizabeth, living in Monroe County, West Virginia, widow of Charles Walker, who was a farmer; S. C. Peters, a stockman, banker and capitalist at Union, West Virginia; Henry C., likewise a prosperous farmer and stockman at Union, West Virginia; J. P. Peters, in the livestock commission business at Kansas City, Missouri; Sarah, living at Kansas City, Missouri, widow of W. T. Blacker, who conducted a coal and feed business and was a large property owner in Kansas City, Missouri, his widow being now manager of his estate; and John W.

John W. Peters after the death of his parents was reared by his sister Mrs. B. M. Shumate. With her he came to Kansas in 1870, first locating at the Town of Doniphan in Doniphan County, next to Troy in 1871, and in 1875 to the vicinity of Rochester, Missouri. In the fall of 1879 the Shumate family came to Alms in Wabaunsee County. Mr. Peters attended public schools in these different localities, and his education was finished at the age of seventeen. He then went to work for a livestock firm feeding and herding cattle on the prairies of Wabaunsee County. Four years later he and his brother J. P. engaged in the mercantile business at Eskridge, conducting a store there for four years. Since then Mr. Peters has given his time and attention to the cattle business on a large scale. He feeds, grazes, buys and sells cattle, and his main ranch comprises 1,160 acres in Wabaunsee County, besides eighty acres adjoining Eskridge. Mr. Peters is unmarried and has his home on Pine Street in Eskridge. He is a democrat in polities and in Masonry is affiliated with Eminence Lodge No. 205, Ancient Free and Accepted Masons, Burlingame Chapter No. 4, Royal Arch Masons, and Topeka Commandery No. 5 of the Knights Templar.


Richard E. Thoes, present postmaster of Alma, represents one of the oldest and best known pioneer families of Wabaunsee County. His father is still living at Alma, now in his ninetieth year, and is one of the survivors of that historic time when Kansas was a territory and the center of conflict between the free state and the slavery forces.

This Kansas pioneer is Mr. Joseph Thoes. He was born in the Rhine Provine of Germany in November, 1828. His father, John Thoes, was born in the same locality, was a farmer by occupation, and for nine years was a soldier in the French army during the Napoleonic wars. He finally took his family to Algiers in Northern Africa, and spent the rest of his life looking after a farm in that country. Joseph Thoes learned the trade of shoemaker during his early youth, and spent six years in France. In 1851, at the age of twenty-three, he came to the United States and landed in New York City, where he lived for two years, and on July 1, 1852, arrived at what was then practically the frontier outpost of the Missouri River Valley, Westport, now Kansas City, Missouri. After a year there he moved into Kansas and located in Wabaunsee County. He took up a homestead, and still owns that tract of land upon which his pioneer efforts were expended more than sixty years ago. He is now owner of a fine and well cultivated farm of 260 acres four miles south of Alms. For some years he has lived retired in Alma. He began casting his vote as an American citizen in support of the republican party, but of late years has been a democrat. At one time he was county commissioner of Wabaunsee County, and during the Civil war he was in the State Militia and was called out to repel Price's raid. Joseph Thoes married Augusta Diebold. She was born in Northern Germany in 1844 and is now seventy-three years of age. Their children were: Bertha, who lives at Alma, widow of Joseph Ech, who had a lumber yard at Alma; Emil, cashier in a bank at Manhattan; Emma, wife of Louis Polenske, a photographer living at McFarland, Kansas; Riehard E.;  Paulina, wife of A. W. Maas, a farmer seven miles west of Alma; and Laura, wife of Charles Simon, living at Yampa, Colorado.
 

Richard E. Thoes was born on the site of the present Town of Alma September 3, 1869. He grew up on his father's farm, was educated in the Alma district schools, and his active vocation for many years was farming. Since 1900 he has lived in Alma, spent three years in a lumber yard, seven years in the furniture and undertaking business, and in 1914 was appointed to the office of postmaster by President Wilson. Mr. Thoes is unmarried and makes his home with his parents. His father owns one of the comfortable homes on Main Street. Mr. Thoes is a democrat, was for several years trustee of Alma Township, has twice been master of Alma Lodge, Ancient Free and Accepted Masons, and is affiliated with Wamego Chapter No. 53, Royal Arch Masons, and Topeka Commandery No. 5 of the Knights Templar.
 


Samuel Bateman Chapman is the leading lumber merchant at Eskridge, and has been a Kansas business man for a number of years.
This branch of the Chapman family had its original seat in England and Mr. Chapman's ancestors were colonial settlers in Maryland. His father, Joshna Thomas Chapman, was born on the eastern shore of Maryland in 1817. At the age of seven he accompanied his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Joshua Chapman, to Meigs County, Ohio, where the grandfather cleared up a portion of the wilderness and converted it into a farm. He spent the rest of his life in that county. Joshua T. Chapman was reared and married in Meigs County and his active eareer was spent as a farmer. In the fall of 1865 he removed to Dupont, Indiana, where he continued farming until his death in 1884. He was a republican in politics and a very active supporter of the Methodist Episcopal Church. The maiden name of his wife was Mary Ann Green. She was born in Muskingum County, Ohio, and died at Dupont, Indiana, some years before her husband. A record of their children is as follows: Roxanna and Flora, both deceased; Samuel B.; Catherine, wife of Edward Gaskell, a resident of Dupont, Indiana; [p.1593] Viola, wife of Thomas Rowland, a carpenter and farm owner at Paris, Indiana.

Samuel Bateman Chapman was born in M---gs County, Ohio, September 19, 1845, and secured his early education in the local schools. Before he was nineteen years of age, in May, 1864, he left his father's farm and enlisted in Company H of the One Hundred and Fortieth Ohio Infantry. He was in serving with his regiment until mustered out the following September. He then returned home, and in the fall of 1865 went with his parents to their new farm at Dupont, Indiana. In 1868, Mr. Chapman married and began farming for himself at Dupont, Indiana. For about a year he was also engaged in the heavy labor of hauling saw logs.
 

Mr. Chapman came to Kansas in 1885, and has since been identified with the Eskridge community. He lived on and was actively employed in the cultivation of his farm of 320 acres two miles east and two miles north of Eskridge until the fall of 1904, when he sold his land and in February, 1905, moved to Eskridge and bought the lumber yard of J. D. McMichael & Company. The yard is located on Main Street, and he still continues business, furnishing lumber and all classes of building material to a large trade over this section of Wabannsee County. Mr. Chapman owns his home on Main Street and has considerable other local real estate.
 

In polities he is a republican, and is affiliated with Eminence Lodge No. 205, Ancient Free and Accepted Masons, and is present commander of W. H. Earl Post No. 75, Grand Army of the Republic.
 

By his first marriage Mr. Chapman has two sons; Emmett A., living with his father; and Claude C., who for a number of years was in the lumber business in Idaho and is now in the same business at Los Angeles, California. At Butler's Switch, Indiana, in 1881, Mr. Chapman married for his present wife Miss Dana McNutt. She was born in Switzerland County, Indiana, in 1855. They have three children. Horace Edgar is employed in a lumber yard at Burley, Idaho. Harvey who was educated in the public schools of Eskridge, is assisting his father in the lumber business, and he married Nettie E. Hakes. The youngest child is Nellie V., still at home with her parents.
 


George W. B. Beverley, M. D. A resident physician and surgeon at Alma since 1903, Doctor Beverley is an Englishman by birth and secured his early training and his professional qualifications in some of the best schools of that country.

His birth occurred in the county or shire of Hereford, England, August 27, 1872. He was christened George William Bertram Beverley. His father, Addison Beverley, spent his life as an English farmer and stock man. He was born in Yorkshire in 1840 and died in Somersetshire in March, 1916. He became widely known as a breeder and raiser of the famous pedigreed white faced cattle and his cattle were frequently exhibited and were sold throughout the British Empire. During his later years he served as justice of the peace in Somersetshire, presiding at Long Ashton sessions. In matters of polities he was originally a conservative and later became a liberal. He was a leading member of the Church of England and served as warden for many years. Addison Beverley married Elizabeth Bray, who was born in Hereford County, England, in 1840, and died in Somerset in April, 1917. Of their children Dr. George Beverley is the only one living in the United States. Ethel May, the oldest, resides in Somerset County, but is now employed in Red Cross work in a war hospital. Elizabeth Alice Gertrude died at the age of twenty-four in Somerset County. Brenda Marguerite is the wife of Charles B. Turner, the latter being an expert in a munition factory and their home is at Weston-Super-Mare in Somerset County. The fourth among the children is Doctor Beverley of Alma. Addison Ernest, the next in age, was formerly connected with a bank at Four Oaks in Birmingham, England, but is now in the heavy artillery service in the war. Kenneth Harold lives at Barnsley in Yorkshire and is a physician and surgeon on army duty. Evelyn Ids, the youngest, is unmarried, a resident of Somerset County and a trained nurse now on war duty.
 

Doctor Beverley was educated in the public schools of Hereford County, England, attended a boys' academy known as the Lucton School in the same county, and took his collegiate work in the University of Bristol. In 1897 he graduated from the College of Physicians and Surgeons of London with the degrees M. R. C. S. and L. R. C. P. Besides the thorough training implied in the possession of these degrees Doctor Beverley was for one year engaged in hospital work at Bristol. In 1899 he came to America, living at Montreal, Canada, from November until March, 1900, and then located in Kansas City, Missouri. From there he moved to Alma, Kansas, in 1903, and for the past fourteen years has been busily engaged in looking after a large general medical and surgical practice. His offices are in the Carroll Building and he also owns his home in Alma. Doctor Beverley served as coroner several years and county physician two years in Wabaunsee County. He is quite active in local republican polities, being chairman of the Republican County Central Committee.
 

His church affiliation is the Congregational, and he is a member of Alma Lodge No. 161, Ancient Free and Accepted Masons, Topeka Consistory No. 1 of the Scottish Rite, of Alma Lodge No. 76, Ancient Order of United Workmen, and the Alma Tent of the Knights of the Ma----cabees. Doctor Beverley is a member in good standing of the Kansas State Medical Society.

In 1898, at Bristol, England, he married Miss Agnes Louise Gray, a native of Oxford, England. They have three children: Gertrude Addison, a senior in the Alma High School; Dorothy Agnes, a junior in high school; and Jean Elizabeth, a pupil in the grammar school.
 


Joseph Camebon Lockhart, a veteran Union soldier and a resident of Kansas for nearly forty-five years, has had a successful business career as a farmer and rancher and is now enjoying the fruits of his well spent lifetime at Eskridge in Wabannsee County.
 

Mr. Lockhart was born in Salem Township of Luzerne County, Pennsylvania, February 12, 1838, and is now in his eightieth year, still active and vigorous for all his experiences. The Lockhart ancestors were Scotch and settled in Pennsylvania in colonial times. His father, George Lockhart, was born in Luzerne County, Pennsylvania, in 1807, spent his life there as a merchant and died in 1845. Politically he was identified with the whig party. George Lockhart married Maria Bidlack, who was born in Luzerne County, Pennsylvania, in 1819 and died there in 1893, at the age of seventy-four. Joseph C. was the oldest of their four children, John became a Union soldier and died while in the war. Isabelle, [p.1594] who died at Kingston, Pennsylvania, married L. C. Dart, an insurance man, also deceased. George died when a young man in New York City.
 

Joseph C. Lockhart acquired his early education in the district schools of Luzerne County and also for three years attended the Wyoming Seminary at Kingston, Pennsylvania. At the age of eighteen, having completed his education, he moved west to Illinois and for a time was a merchant at Polo. The Civil war soon came on and broke up his business with that of many others and in 1862 he volunteered in Company B of the Seventh Illinois Cavalry. He was in the service a little more than three years until mustered out in 1865. From his enlistment until the close he was practically in every battle and skirmish in which his regiment was engaged and made a most creditable record as a soldier.
 

Mr. Lockhart came to Kansas in 1874, locating on a farm near Auburn in Shawnee County. From there he removed to Burlingame and since 1904 has been retired at Eskridge. Mr. Lockhart owns farms in Wabaunsee and Lyon counties, and also in various parts of Western Kansas, having a total of 12,000 acres as an evidence of his hard work and good judgment. He is a stockholder in the National Bank of Commerce of Hominy, Oklahoma. Mr. Lockhart is a republican and a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
 

His Eskridge home is at the corner of Fourth and Locust streets. He has been twice married. The name of his first wife was Sarah Woodruff, who died at Topeka, Kansas. She was the mother of four children: Caroline, who is an author and lives unmarried at Philadelphia; George, who lives at Eskridge and assists his father in the management of the ranch; Grace, wife of L. D. Edgington, a banker at Hominy, Oklahoma; and Robert, on his father's ranch at Eskridge.

In 1890, at Sterling, Illinois, Mr. Lockhart married Miss Kate M. Reed. She was born in Chambersburg, Pennsylvania, of colonial English ancestry. Her father, Benjamin Reed, was born in Pennsylvania in 1823 and died at Sterling, Illinois, in 1909. Her mother, Harriet Clark, was born at Waynesboro, Pennsylvania, in 1825 and died at Sterling, Illinois, in 1907. Benjamin Reed was a cabinet maker by trade, but after moving to Illinois in 1854 followed farming. Politically he was a democrat and a member of the Lutheran Church. He and his wife had eight children: Eleanor, who lives at Sterling, Illinois, widow of James McDowell, a farmer; Emily, whose home is at Cedar Rapids, Iowa, widow of J. F. Bednar, who was a merchant; Mrs. Lockhart, third in the family; John, a retired farmer at Sterling, Illinois; Reuben, a carpenter at Casper, Wyoming; Frank, a retired farmer at Sterling; Clara, twin sister of Frank, wife of F. R. Taylor, a plumber at Sterling; and Edna, who is living unmarried at Sterling. Mrs. Lockhart was educated in the public schools at Sterling, Illinois. She is very active socially in Eskridge, being a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church and its Ladies Aid Society and also belongs to the Women's Christian Temperance Union, and the local Study Club.