Buffville, Cedar Township, Wilson County, Kansas

Contact Me:

gkewert@hit.net

The history of ghost towns is not always easy to trace.  By their very nature, there is not a whole lot of physical data at the original site.  Buffville, Kansas is not any different.  The purpose of this web-site is to gather as much information as possible about this now defunct village and provide a format to present that information to the internet public.

Most ghost towns originally grew up around some business venture, be it oil, the railroad, mining, etc.  Here too Buffville was not any different.  In 1903 the Kansas Buff Brick and Manufacturing Company opened their plant just a couple of miles south of Altoona {about 5 miles north of Neodesha}.

Buffville’s roots start out with a pure lack of identity. It was first known as Buff City.  However by 1910 the book “Kansas Post Offices (May 29, 1828—August 3, 1961)” by Robert W. Baughman © 1961 The Kansas State Historical Society, details that in that year from February 17 to September 2 it was known as Buffton.  Then for 10 days it was known as Buffington, then back to Buffton for one day and finally as Buffville from September  13, 1910 until the post office closed on October 31, 1943 The same book lists Margaret L. Jasper as the first postmaster.

 

Buffville, Kansas

From the 1910 Wilson County Kansas Atlas

Other community landmarks have not helped with the identity problem.  The local school although commonly called Buffville was originally and officially known as Mound Valley District #17.  The same goes for the cemetery behind the hill to the west of the town site; it is known as the Verdi Cemetery, however many people refer to it as the Buffville Cemetery.

 

Even though its birth can be more or less pinpointed to 1903 (company starts operation) or 1910 (Post Office originated), the death of the village was not quite so clear cut.  The Kansas Buff Brick & Mfg. Co. sold out to the United Brick & Tile Co. in 1929 and the plant closed complete within a few years.  As stated above the Post Office closed in 1943 and the last students went to school there in about 1950.  By the 1970’s there was very little evidence that a thriving community once stood on this land west of US Highway 75.

Last Updated:

Friday, January 06, 2006

Looking toward the old town site from US Highway 75—2005.

Shale mound providing raw materials to the Buff Brick Plant (about 1904).