Adair County Pioneers
First Families of Adair County
Daniel Boone in Adair County, KY.
- As early as 1773.
There are two sightings of Daniel Boone in Adair County, KY.
One as early as 1773 west of Columbia and another in 1776 southwest of Columbia near Patteson Cave,
as listed in the ACR Winter 2001 issue of the Adair County Genealogy Society
1773 - Daniel Boone and companion
McGary appear to have been in the county. This is verified by an inscription
on two trees found 6 miles west of Columbia. The tree parts are preserved at the Trabue Russell House.
1760s - First recorded history of
the area that would become Adair County is of the Long Hunters,
Colonel James Knox, who camped, hunted and explored in the Green River area.
The above was taken from the Adair County Web Site at: www.rootsweb.com/~kyadair/
Note More on the Long Hunters - Photos of Camp Knox [click]
Charles Weedon Sparks
Sparksville, Kentucky, population 100, is located in Adair County in the south-central part of the state. Sparkses were here before 1800 (probably from Pittsylvania County, Virginia) and here William Walter Sparks was born about 1820. He had a son, Charles Weedon Sparks (commonly known as Tired) born about 1844. Weed Sparks served in the Union Army and after the war moved to Texas. He returned to Adair County and settled at a place which he named Sparksville. See History of Sparksville, Ky.
A Few Firsts in Adair County History
A collection of Historical Interest by Michael C. Watson
Colonel William Casey was the first to bring a group of settlers into what is now Adair County in 1789.
The first Sheriff was Benjamin Bowmar, born 1775, died 1858. He was appointed by Gov. James Garrard when Adair County was created.
The first County Clerk was William Caldwell, also appointed by Gov. James Garrard. At the time, under the second Constitution of Kentucky, he was to serve as clerk of both County and Circuit Court.
The first Court was held in 1802 at the home of Mr. James Walker. His home was the located somewhere on what is today called Lindsey Wilson Hill.
The first Circuit Court Judge was Allen Wakefield, who was a Green County attorney, chosen to fill the seat for Adair, Green, Cumberland and Barren counties in 1803.
The first jailer John Field, Jr. He was appointed by Gov. James Garrard in 1803. He was the stepson of pioneer William Hurt, Sr. and son of Sarah White Field Hurt. She was first married in Virginia to John Field Sr. who died in Bedford County, Virginia.
First Trustees of the Town of Columbia were Colonel William Casey, Hugh Beard, Andew Ewing, William McNeely and Robert Hill. By January, 1804, John Field had been added.
Rev. William Boaz Moss, a Virginian, Robert Handy and George Burkes built the first structure, in what is now Adair County, that served as a church building. The "Old Pleasant Ridge Meeting House" is thought to have been constructed around 1782. It was made of logs, chinked with rocks and mud. This was the first church in the county and the first Methodist edifice. [more here]
Source: Adair County Review - Volume
18 - Spring 2004 Issue 1- Published by the Adair County Genealogical Society.
A Few Firsts in Adair County History pages 37-41.
Mr Watson can be contacted at the below address.
Michael C. Watson
Library Media Specialist
Anderson Co High
One Bearcat Drive
Lawrenceburg, KY 40342
502-839-5118, ext 2130
Occupants of the Area
"Pre-historic people occupied this land with its abundance of game and water. They left mounds and artifacts. Later, Native Americans had no permanent settlements but came to hunt and fish. Their trails followed the animals' trails."
In 1789, Col. William Casey
and his wife, Jane (Montgomery), with their family and about 30
other families established the Casey/Butler Fort--the first permanent settlement
in what is now Adair County. Their 1816 house, indicted by a historic
marker, is on KY Highway West 80. Columbia & Adair County:
Rich in History - Chambers of Commerce web site [click]