Edmonson Co., African-American Church Histories
Courtesy Barren’s Black Roots Volume 3, Michelle Gorin
Gorin Genealogical Publishing,
(c) May 1993. Source: The Jubilee History and
Biographical Sketches of Liberty Association, by G.
RE. Ford, Printed and Published by Times Publishing
Company of Smiths Grove, Ky., 1916.
Little Hope Baptist
Little Hope Baptist Church was organized March 15, 1886,
by Rev. John Jones, Rev. P. Murrell, deacon, J. W.
White, and others.
“The council was called from Icy Sink, Glasgow,
Mt. Union and Rocky Hill. Rev. P. Murrell was moderator
of the council and Sister Sarah White was secretary of
“The members upon which the church was
constituted were Brother Daniel Rountree, Rev Nathan
Pierson, Sisters Julie Ford and Millie Pierson; these
four were from Stoney Point Church by letters; then
Sisters Matilda Wood and Nettie Rountree by experience
and baptism. Then the church chose Brother Daniel
Rountree for deacon and the council ordained him. They
then called Rev. N. P. Pierson for their pastor and he
was ordained by the same council. After giving the new
church and its officials the right hand of fellowship,
the council motioned to adjourn.
“The church has had eight pastors up to the
present time, namely: Revs. N. P. Pierson, T. H. Swann,
B. Carter, J. Ingram, T. H. Brown, C. H. Dunn, C. W.
Bransford, N. P. Pierson and J. W. Willis.
“The church is a frame building, weather boarded
and in very fair condition. The church and property are
worth $1,000.00. They have an enrolled membership of
about thirty. There are two ministers belonging to this
church. Revs. N. P. Pierson, and G. R. Ford. Rev. J. W.
Willis is the present pastor, O. T. Ford secretary.”
“Was organized at the home of Matt Bransford in
the year 1868 by the following white brethren: Rev. Jim
Smith, Dim Davis, Oliver P. Shackleford, Bob Gillock and
John Slemmons, and Rev. Tolbert Rogers. The charter
members were: “Nick” Bransford, Warren Coats, Sr.,
Champion Dennison, Adam Martin, Davy Brown, Matt
Bransford, Virginia Martin, Sarah Dennison, Mariah
Bluford, Nancy Bluford, Rhoda Hodge, Alice G. Coats and
“The log church was built late in the fall of
1868. Warren Coats, Sr., and Richard Mansfield sawed off
the corners of the building Thursday, March 4, 1869.
Nick Bransford, Warren Coats, Sr. and Matt Bransford
were our first deacons. Rev. Tolbert Rogers was our
first pastor. This is the list of her pastors as they
succeeded each others as the years went by: Rogers was
succeeded by Ike Owens, Charley Cheatham, Newton
Gassaway, Luther Shobe, T. H. Brown, Y. W. Stark, G. R.
Ford, and T. B. Fant, the present pastor, who took
charge of the church Saturday, June 8, 1912.
“After worshipping in the log church
twenty-seven years, the structure burned in February,
1895. The members went ahead and built another house and
worshiped in it until July 10, 1910, which was the last
time they sent up their prayers in that house. In the
year 1909 the church invited the Liberty Baptist Sunday
School Convention to come here. The house being too
small and located in such an awful out-of-the-way place.
And they laid the foundation of the present house in
July 1910. Here are the names of the young ministers who
have gone out from this body to preach: “Little Ben”
Rogers, T. H. Brown, Richard Lively, and C. W. Bransford.
The association has never been held with this church. We
have outgrown the log church of our forefathers, it is
true, but we still believe as they did, “You must be
The Bransford’s mentioned above were guides at Mammoth
Cave National Park.