Monroe County African American Schools
Courtesy Barren’s Black Roots, Volume 3, Michelle Gorin Burris,
Gorin Genealogical Publishing
(c) May 1993.
Although the quality of these pictures are poor we felt that even a
glimpse of these schools was better than none at all.
Tooley’s Ridge School
Discontinued in the year 1936. This school was located on the ridge
between Meshack Creek and the Tompkinsville-Centerpoint highway, No
homes are now located in this area.
School was discontinued about 1940. It was located in the Forkton
community, building later torn down by the County School Board and
moved to a section of the county northwest of Rock Birdge, later
known as the Bowman School.
Fountain Run School
Erected in 1913 at the edge of Fountain Run, enrollment in its last
year was 23. Mrs. C. H. Crawford was the teacher.
Bethlehem: Erected in 1928, discontinued in 1940.