2000 MONTHLY PICTURE

 

2000jan.jpg (98536 bytes)

(click on picture to see an enlarged view)

JANUARY -  (Scottsville Marching Band - 1899)

This is the Scottsville Marching Band in 1899.  The Band members were thurman Dixon, Ed Welch, bob Welch, Lute Settle, Harry Spillman, Ira House, Paul Welch, Leo Davidson, Will Gilliam, Herbert Dixon, Roy ____, Lester Garrison and Garney Bowers.  In the background, Waley Carver and Roscoe Huntsman.  The building in the background is the Scottsville Hotel, built after fire destroyed the previous one in 1865.  This building was also destroyed by fire in 1918.  The last hotel on this site was the Jacksonian built in 1919 and razed in 1973.
2000feb.jpg (74679 bytes)

(click on picture to see an enlarged view)

FEBRUARY - (Scottsville City Band 1918)

The Scottsville City Band in 1918.  This aggregation, which could play a stirring march with the best of them, is shown above in new uniforms which were bought that year.  The group consists of, left to right, Frank Hinkley, (the second man is unidentified), Henry Hughes, Harry Collins, Buel Simmons, Leo Stamps, Ray Kemp, Harold Pearson, Charlie Settle, Fred Hale, Val House, Sr., Ed Dixon, Hugh Read, Arthur Greer and Carline Gilliam.  The photo was made on the Public Square in the spot now occupied by the Gulf Station (now House of Style), and the Graves Building (now WVLE and the Chamber Office).  A two story house, the old Bryant residence, stood on that spot at the time.  The corner of the Jacksonian Hotel, which had just been built, may be seen at the right.
2000mar.jpg (104072 bytes)

(click on picture to see an enlarged view)

MARCH - (The Holland Band)

The Holland Band was a much sought-after attraction for public events and though the date of the photo is not known, it is believed to have been made about 1915 in front of the Henry Clay Hughes home.  Front row, left to right:  Auswald Wade, Earl Sturdivant, Ed Thomas, Will Francis, Harvey Francis and Claude Francis.  Back row, left to right:  John Hudson, Edgar Hargett, Homer Tracy, Bob Downing, Sam Downing and Knox Tracy.  Most likely this ban was sponsored by the Modern Woodmen of America.  Camp #13949 at Holland was chartered April 9th, 1909.  some of the men pictured were charter members.
2000apr.jpg (79243 bytes)

(click on picture to see an enlarged view)

APRIL - (Little Bo Peep Nursery School)

This fine group of youngsters were 1950 students in the Little Bo Peep Nursery School organized and taught by Mrs. Jess Strausberg at her home on West Cherry Street.  Left to right:  Rita (Williams) Shaw, Don Bertram, Mike Hancock, Gail (Strausberg) Henkel, Linda (Simmons) Keen, Ray Kemp, Jr., Martha Holland, Beth (Morton) Perlo, Leland Pruitt, Patricia Garmon, Michael Cooksey, Carolyn Pitchford and Billie Allen.
2000may.jpg (85052 bytes)

(click on picture to see an enlarged view)

MAY -  (Scottsville City Band - 1920s)

This is all that is known about this photo.  On the back is written:  Sale of lots from Shady Brook on the Gallatin Road in the 1920s.  The late Polly Lighfoot house is in the background.
2000jun.jpg (110487 bytes)

(click on picture to see an enlarged view)

JUNE - (the Holland Band - 1912)

The Holland Band at a July 4th, 1912 celebration at the Forest Springs resort which was located about eight miles southeast of Scottsville in the Mt. Union community near the Tennessee line.
2000jul.jpg (57712 bytes)

(click on picture to see an enlarged view)

JULY - (The Tabernacle - 1897)

One hundred and two years ago the large wooden pyramid structure known to us as the Tabernacle was completed on the Scottsville Holiness Camp Ground.  The builder was J. M. Guthrie, a master builder, assisted by E.A. Austin's father among others.  It was a shelter type with arched supports, used in warm weather assemblies by the church members.  A clarifying court judgment was handed down in 1935 that the original camp ground trustees could not deed away the property to the Free Methodist Church.  The deed by some of the former trustees the previous year was nullified.  The Tabernacle and campgrounds remained the property of the community to be used by all denominations for religious purposes.  In 1938 a movement was started to repair and remodel the old Tabernacle, extending the size, enclosing the open spaces with large hinged doors and windows to be opened or closed to suit weather conditions.  A large platform to accommodate 200 singers was constructed, seating expanded to 1200, ground and parking improved.  This was done with a great deal of NYA help under the Works Project Administration Program.  It was home for many years in May and October to the Allen County singing Convention.  This was the largest public event in the county.  In 1949, wiring of the Tabernacle and grounds was completed, the roof repaired, the overhead sealed for better acoustics, and water extended to the site.  In 1989, under the auspices of the National Heritage Council, the Tabernacle was again restored.  It is in excellent condition for the crowds expected to attend the performance of 'Continental Harmony', July 4, 2000.
2000aug.jpg (64291 bytes)

(click on picture to see an enlarged view)

AUGUST -  (Just One Of Those Songs - 1967)

With curtain time for the star-studded musical show, "Just One Of Those Songs" only hours away, the cast of approximately 150 is anxiously awaiting Friday, the opening night.  This production was under the direction of Mrs. R. M. Meredith, Mrs. John Meredith and Douglas Van Fleet, director of the Scottsville High School Band.
2000sep.jpg (67573 bytes)

(click on picture to see an enlarged view)

SEPTEMBER - (Scottsville High School Band)

This Scottsville High School Band was organized in the summer of 1966 under the direction of Douglas Van Fleet.  There were 70 members in the marching and concert band.  They are appearing here in their newly acquired uniforms which consisted of plumed hats, green jackets with brass buttons and green trousers.  A handsome sash of green, white and gold encircles the chest and ends in white and gold tassels.  They participated in many parades and competitions, winning many honors, one of which was marching in the Governor's Inauguration Parade.  Some of the other band directors included:  Ed Nichols, Emily Polson, Pat Flowers, and Mike Hernon, who was the director when the schools merged in 1974.
2000oct.jpg (107567 bytes)

(click on picture to see an enlarged view)

OCTOBER - (Allen County High School Band)

Sam Kent began his career with the Allen County High School Patriot band in the 1969-70 school year and continued in this capacity through the 1990-1991 year, at which time, he assumed duties with the Middle School Band.  He retired after the 1995-96 school year.  They are pictured here in their new Patriot style uniforms in 1973-74 depicting the mascot of the high school which was a Revolutionary War Patriot.  Sam Kent with the help of the Band Boosters raised the money for these uniforms.  They were recognized numerous times for their notable achievements throughout the state.
2000nov.jpg (78077 bytes)

(click on picture to see an enlarged view)

NOVEMBER - (Allen County-Scottsville High School Band)

The Allen county-Scottsville High School Band began the 1974-75 school year under the direction of Sam kent.  The band was invited to the Lions Club International Parade in Dallas, Texas in 1975 and to Montreal, Canada in 1979.  The band traveled to Washington, D.C. in 1984 and to Philadelphia Pennsylvania in 1990.  In 1991, Leo Labrallozo assumed the duties of Band Director after Sam Kent transferred to the James E. Bazzell Middle School.  When Mr. Kent retired in 1996, Shawn Huff replaced him at the middle school.  In 1997, Shawn Huff became the director of the Allen County-Scottsville High School Band.  Johnny Hall is Assistant Director at both the James E. Bazzell Middle Schol and Allen County-Scottsville High School.  Mrs. Gina Huff is coordinator of the color Guard.  The recently purchased new uniforms, and with 120 members is the largest band in ACSHS history.  The Patriot Band competed this past spring in St. Louis at the national Adjudicators International.  The ACSHS Patriot Band continues a tradition of excellence and continually receives numerous awards in both its concert and marching bands.
2000dec.jpg (70756 bytes)

(click on picture to see an enlarged view)

DECEMBER - (Scottsville Brass Carolers)

The Scottsville Brass Carolers was formed in the 1970s by band director Sam kent and is still in existence today.  The group is composed of students from the High School's Band program including any alumni who join them from time to time.  The Carolers visit downtown businesses and nursing homes during the Christmas Season spreading musical cheer.  This group consisted of Matt Oliver - trumpet, Franklin Foster - Coronet, Rachel Roberts - Trumpet, Ken Goforth - Trumpet, Sam Kent - Coronet, Amy Goforth - French Horn, Danny Shook - Trombone, Phil Kent - Trombone, Second row:  Brian Robinson - Baritone Horn, Rick Robert - Sousaphone, Hanna Roberts - French Horn.