1977 MONTHLY PICTURE

(click on thumbnail picture to see an enlarged view)

77-01.jpg (36768 bytes)

(click on picture to see an enlarged view)

JANUARY -  (Stagecoach Inn - drawn by Donna Hoskins, 9th  grade)

This Inn was the old Colonial Foster home located on Highway 31, which was the main route leading from Nashville to Washington.  Built around 1840, this L-shaped house was built of home-made bricks made on the farm by slave labor.  It was used as a Stagecoach Inn and it has been said that this was a stopping place for Andrew Jackson and other famous people.
77-02.jpg (19003 bytes)

(click on picture to see an enlarged view)

FEBRUARY - (Scottsville Church of Christ - drawn by Emmanuel Lyons, 12th grade)

The Church of Christ was organized by five members on a Sunday in June, 1887.  However, it wasn't until 1898 that they built their own building on the land that was donated by Mrs. White.  This building was used until 1941 when they bought the building on 2nd and Maple Streets, where they now continue to meet.  the old building on East Main Street is now used as an apartment building.

 

77-03.jpg (27529 bytes)

(click on picture to see an enlarged view)

MARCH - (Old Burris Mill - drawn by Lynn Graves, 12th grade)

Burris Water Mill, located on Big Trammel Creek near Highway 100, was built around the turn of the century on land owned by Willie Dinwiddie.  Burris Mill was one of the early landmarks of this area.  The name was derived from one of the early operators, Charlie Burris.  He was a tenant on the Dinwiddie farm and was buried in the vicinity of the old mill.  Various parts of the mill have been preserved by family members.
77-04.jpg (38866 bytes)

(click on picture to see an enlarged view)

APRIL -  (The Ohlenmacker House - drawn by Jeff Siddens, 11th grade)

According to the deed the Ohlenmacker House was located at the Gallatin Road and Turnpike.  It was formerly a log house built over one hundred years ago.  It was owned by John and Lily Kiger who passed it down to C.C. and Harriett Kiger.  Their daughter married Mr. Ohlenmacker, who was of German descent.  Mr. Ohlenmacher was a prominent music teacher in Allen County in the early 1900's.  Marvin wood bought the house in 1949.
77-05.jpg (21816 bytes)

(click on picture to see an enlarged view)

MAY -  (Scottsville Depot - drawn by Julia Brogli, 9th grade)

The frame station was built about 1887 and was a combination station providing passenger service as well as freight.  The exterior was constructed of board and batten.  The passenger end was all sealed except 15' X 18' room, which is not even floored.  It has a gable shingle roof on the passenger end and a tin roof over freight room and shed.  The shed was enclosed July of 1920.  It had a screened in passenger platform located adjacent to the main track.   The depot is located on"East End".
77-06.jpg (19382 bytes)

(click on picture to see an enlarged view)

JUNE - (First Baptist Church 1899 - drawn by Krystie Stinson, 12th grade)

The First Baptist Church of Scottsville was constructed in 1899 by Mr. J. M. Guthrie and is still in use as the auditorium.  In 1899, the population of Scottsville was 824.  The Baptist Church had a membership of 119, including some former slaves.  The building committee for the new church included L. J. Settle, J.S. Lewis, and James N. Shire.  Rev. G. Dockery was pastor.  Other early pastors included M. F. Ham, Sr., who served for about forty years, and his son, Bro. Tobias J. Ham, who was here one year.  The latter's son was the evangelist at the meeting when Rev. Billy Graham was converted.
77-07.jpg (22703 bytes)

(click on picture to see an enlarged view)

JULY - (Old Scottsville Hotel- drawn by Elizabeth Shook, 8th grade)

The first hotel in Scottsville was the Scottsville Hotel built in 1835.  It burned in 1865 but was replaced by this building.  However, it burned again in May 1918 and the Jacksonian Hotel was built in 1919 on the same site of the Old Scottsville Hotel.  A new public library was built on this site.
77-08.jpg (22084 bytes)

(click on picture to see an enlarged view)

AUGUST -  (The Old Scottsville Jail - drawn by Steve Garmon,11th grade)

The old jail was built about 1886.  It had solid brick walls, with an iron cage in the center for security purposes.  It was given the nickname of "The Red Top" among the local people.  This structure was torn down in late 1965 and was located on East main Street.
77-09.jpg (24410 bytes)

(click on picture to see an enlarged view)

SEPTEMBER - (The Mulligan House - drawn by Shane Lyle, 11th grade)

The date of this historical home seems to go back to the early 1800's.  It was constructed in three stages.  The first structure consisted of a log kitchen put together with wooden pegs and containing an arched stone cooking fireplace.  A separate dining room was added and later connected to the log kitchen.  The third addition consisted of the two story front part of the house.  The house contains two stairways, one of which is solid walnut, walnut mantels, walnut woodwork.  All doors are walnut and the floors are yellow poplar.   It has 5 fireplaces and 7 outside doors.  There are chair rails (Shaker style) around the walls with the original black hooks.   A calacanthus flower in front of the house was received in 1842.  The house is located at the corner of West Main and South Welch Street.
77-10.jpg (26185 bytes)

(click on picture to see an enlarged view)

OCTOBER - (Old Railroad Tunnel - drawn by Ron Parkhurst, 10th grade)

The tunnel is located south of Scottsville on the Briarfield Road.  It was built approximately in 1866 by the Chesapeake and Nashville Railway and a railroad station called Rodemer was located here.  There was a side track here in order to pick up cross ties.  Also located here was a tie yard, one store, two residences and a blacksmith shop.  The railroad was a main artery of travel to Nashville, providing daily passenger service as well as a market outlet for their products.  In July, 1976 the L & N Railroad received permission from the Interstate Commerce Commission to abandon the line from Hartsville, Tennessee.
77-11.jpg (17019 bytes)

(click on picture to see an enlarged view)

NOVEMBER - (Old Bethlehem Church - drawn by Michael Brown, 11th grade)

The Baptist Church of Christ on the head of Difficult, formerly called Difficult Church, but now called Bethlehem, was constituted on 31st day of January, 1801 by Joseph Logan, John Hightower, James Atwood, his wife, Margaret; William Straight, his wife, Dorcas; William Thomas, his wife, Mary; Thomas Spillman and Polly Richardson.  The first three pastors were: Joseph Logan, John Hightower and Alexander Devin, respectively.  The original structure was a log building and was replaced in 1847-48 by this building in the sketch.  This was replaced at a later date by the present building which is located three miles from Scottsville, on the Glasgow Road.
77-12.jpg (27323 bytes)

(click on picture to see an enlarged view)

DECEMBER - (Scottsville Courthouse   - drawn by Judy Russell, 12th grade)

Built in 1903, the third courthouse was a large two story brick building having a cupola on top with clocks facing in each four directions.  The courthouse was later painted white.  This building became inadequate and after the dedication of the new city-county building in 1965, this old landmark was destroyed.  The old bell was saved and places inside the new building.  The space occupied by the old courthouse is now a four way intersection.