1978 MONTHLY PICTURE

 

78jan.jpg (28776 bytes)

(click on picture to see an enlarged view)

JANUARY -  (Woodcock Place- drawn by Penny Jones - 11th  grade)

The home of Dr. J. P. Willoughby, a veterinarian, was originally built by Mr. Greene Woodcock prior to the Civil War and was located on the Glasgow Road near the present city limits. In the years just prior to its destruction by fire, it was known as "The Haunted House".
78feb.jpg (34270 bytes)

(click on picture to see an enlarged view)

FEBRUARY - (Etta Newman House - drawn by Brenda Kay Willoughby, 9th grade)

One of the early homes of Scottsville was the property of Mrs. Etta Newman. The house was the former home of William Mansfield, an early judge of Allen County.
78mar.jpg (31616 bytes)

(click on picture to see an enlarged view)

MARCH - (L. & N. Railroad Trestle on 101 South - drawn by Ron Parkhurst, 11th grade)

The L & N Trestle, located on Highway 101 South, completed the line between Scottsville and Gallatin, Tenn. The original owners of the line, Chesapeake and Nashville, constructed the line in 1886 and the trestle was completed in the same year. The L & N railroad acquired the line in 1906 and renamed it the Scottsville Branch.
78apr.jpg (35166 bytes)

(click on picture to see an enlarged view)

APRIL -  (Fowler-Comer Bldg. & Drub Store - drawn by Julia Brogli, 10th grade)

The Fowler-Comer company, located on the northeast side of the public square, was owned by Mr. Wick Comer and his nephew, Mr. W. B. Fowler. In the early 1920's, general merchandise was sold by different clerks, including Miss Etta Newman. Mrs. Helen Hanes was milliner. Style shows were held with models parading from a balcony on one side, down into the store, and up to the balcony on the opposite side. Music was furnished by Mr. C. A. Gilliam and others. The Drug Store was owned and operated by Mr. R. M. Meredith and Mr. Herschel Smith.
78may.jpg (33601 bytes)

(click on picture to see an enlarged view)

MAY -  (Follis House - drawn by Freda Pruitt, 10th grade)

The Follis House built in the 1870's was a rooming and boarding house operated by Mr. and Mrs. Shelby Follis, grandparents of Mr. T. W. Crow, Sr. The house was the first rooming and boarding house to be built in Allen County and was located on East Main Street facing North where Napier's Standard Service is now located.
78jun.jpg (49509 bytes)

(click on picture to see an enlarged view)

JUNE - (Forest Springs Resort - drawn by Jo Conner, 12th grade)

Forest Springs, located near the present Mount Union Community, was famous for its mineral springs. People came from miles around to drink at least five different kinds of mineral water. Bathing in it was believed to be very good for one's health. Many were attracted to the area for social activities which included skating, bowling, dancing, and croquet. A "still house" nearby added to the gaiety. The hotel was opened around the turn of the century by a Mr. Evans. Cabins were rented by the month to many Allen Countians as well as people from far away places. Mr. S. S. Kemp was one of the last owners of the resort. The springs dried up when timber was cut from the land.
78jul.jpg (33232 bytes)

(click on picture to see an enlarged view)

JULY - (A. S. Walker - drawn by Jeff Siddens, 12th grade)

The Emma Johnson Apartment dwelling on the corner of Second and Maple Streets was built by a prominent pioneer landholding family named Walker. The house was built by slaves of hand-hewn logs and hand-chiseled stones. The large basement housed living quarters for the slaves, where they cooked and lived in one large room, and still contains the dungeon used for recalcitrant slaves. This is the oldest house in Scottsville, and was the home of Dr. A. S. Walker, a physician. The entire block of land from the Public Spring to the Johnson Apartment House was part of the A. S. Walker property, and contained barns and stables behind the dwelling for their horses and cows.
78aug.jpg (18587 bytes)

(click on picture to see an enlarged view)

AUGUST -  (First Motor Driven Hearse- drawn by Jeff Stillwell,12th grade)

Allen County's first motor driven hearse was this S&S Cadillac brought to Scottsville by T. W. Crow, Sr. and his brother Aubrey. The Crow brothers organized their funeral establishment in 1915.
78sep.jpg (25005 bytes)

(click on picture to see an enlarged view)

SEPTEMBER - (Read Lumber Co. - drawn by Rita Hendrix, 11th grade)

The J. D. Read Lumber Company was one of Scottsville and Allen County's booming businesses in the late 1800's and early 1900's. The business was destroyed by fire. The site was purchased by the Johnson Brothers and is now occupied by Johnson Lumber Co.
78oct.jpg (28624 bytes)

(click on picture to see an enlarged view)

OCTOBER - (Tabernacle - drawn by Claire Walchak, 9th grade)

The Tabernacle on the Holland Road, grew out of two tent revivals held by Dr. H. C. Morrison, a Methodist minister. The building was erected in the summer of 1897 by Jim Guthrie and the first meeting was held in October of that year. The tabernacle is now the property of the county and can only be used for religious purposes.
78nov.jpg (37089 bytes)

(click on picture to see an enlarged view)

NOVEMBER - (Citizen-Times Office - drawn by Janet Guy, 11th grade)

This building was occupied by the Citizen-Times from 1920 to 1929 and stood on the site of the present building on East Main St. The Citizen-Times was founded by Roy R. Pitchford, Sr. and is a consolidation of "The Citizen" (established 1908) and the "Allen County Times" (established 1890). The Citizen-Times is the second oldest business in Allen County and is still operated by the Pitchford family.
78dec.jpg (35133 bytes)

(click on picture to see an enlarged view)

DECEMBER - (Shady-Brook Tourist Camp - drawn by Donna Hoskins, 10th grade)

The original Shady Brook Tourist Camp located on US 31-E was built by Mr. Oscar Paris in 1926 and operated by Mr. Paris as a service station and camp ground for tourists. Remodeling over the years added living quarters, a restaurant, and motel units. The first motel units added were heated by wood stoves. After the original building burned in February 1971, the motel units were sold, remodeled and are now Shady Brook Plaza.