1979 MONTHLY PICTURE

 

79jan.jpg (32115 bytes)

(click on picture to see an enlarged view)

JANUARY -  Old East Main Street - drawn by Anthony Stovall - 12th grade

This was a typical winter scene of East Main Street in the early 1900's. The old Allen County Courthouse is in the center background. On the right in the foreground is the R. E. Wilson Livery Stable near the Railroad Depot.
79feb.jpg (35175 bytes)

(click on picture to see an enlarged view)

FEBRUARY -   Barlow House - drawn by Roy Shockley - 12th grade

The Barlow House still stands on the same property which James J. Barlow acquired through a land grant. IT is believed that the house was build about the same time of his marriage to Pamela A. Follis in 1843. Although most records of this historic landmark have been destroyed by the fire in the clerk's office in 1902, it is known that during the Civil War, soldiers were quartered in this house and they laid the floor in the newer part. Three generations of the Barlow family were born in this house, which is still occupied by Mrs. Jack Barlow today. It is also believed that this was the first meeting place for the Masonic Lodge in Allen County.
79mar.jpg (30542 bytes)

(click on picture to see an enlarged view)

MARCH - Graves Infirmary - drawn by Roy Shockley - 12th grade

The Graves Infirmary was opened in 1919 by Dr. Lattie Graves, who was assisted by his brother dr. Pellie Graves. At the death of Dr. Lattie Graves the Infirmary was closed. In 1946 Dr. F. J. Halcomb and Dr. Earl P. Oliver reopened the Infirmary and operated it until 1952. In 1953 it was reopened as Halcomb & Oliver Clinic.
79apr.jpg (32989 bytes)

(click on picture to see an enlarged view)

APRIL - Sallie Edmunds House - drawn by Tina Gardner - 9th grade 

The Sallie Edmunds House was located a short distance above the Public Spring, on Maple Street where the Allen County Schools' Superintendent's Office is now. The first library in Allen County was established in 1918 by Miss Edmunds with approximately 100 books donated by townspeople, and her own periodicals. At the age of 73 in 1928, she wrote an historical account of early Scottsville-street by street. Her history was sealed in a jar, placed in the cornerstone of the New Masonic Hall on the second story of the Dr. Johnson Building to remain for 100 years. She was active in the Women's Christian Temperance Union, and was both feared and admired by residents.
79may.jpg (19829 bytes)

(click on picture to see an enlarged view)

MAY -  Public Springs - drawn by Mendy Foster - 10th grade

The Public Spring has always been in Scottsville. Early history records the fact that the present site for the county seat was chosen "because of the large spring there", which early settlers had found never diminished its flow of water even in the driest season of the year. Much of Scottsville's history began around the Spring. Very young boys got their financial start in life by carrying water for the men working at the Thompson Spoke Mill. A yoke was fitted across the shoulders from which a bucket hung on each side. County Court Day was a big event in Scottsville and was held in the area around the Spring, with traders and preachers coming from a wide area for this important day each month.
79jun.jpg (16273 bytes)

(click on picture to see an enlarged view)

JUNE - Scottsville High School Gym - drawn by Mary M. Sackett - 12th grade

The wooden frame structure of Scottsville High School Gym was built in 1927. At that time it was the best in this part of the state. District tournaments were held here. It was replaced with the present gym in 1960.
79jul.jpg (24936 bytes)

(click on picture to see an enlarged view)

JULY - Holland's General Store - drawn by Cindy Meador - 10th grade

The Holland General Store has served the community continuously since the present building was built by Mr. Henry Clay Hughes in 1902. The store also housed the Holland Post Office for many years. Remodeling has changed the front and interior, but structurally the building is the same today.
79aug.jpg (26406 bytes)

(click on picture to see an enlarged view)

AUGUST -  L. & N. Railroad Trestle on Gallatin Road - drawn by Ron Parkhurst - 12th grade

Mr. A. O. Harmon walked from his home near Walker's Chapel to Petroleum and waited to take this picture of a train passing on the trestle. The railroad and trestle were built in 1886 by the C. & N. Co., and later sold to the L. & N. Co. All services of the railroad were discontinued in 1977.
79sep.jpg (39094 bytes)

(click on picture to see an enlarged view)

SEPTEMBER - Hobdy House - drawn by Duane Dedman - 10th grade

This house was known as "The Old Cowden Place" deriving its name from the owner, James Cowden, who moved form Scottsville in 1896. Several different families lived in the house from 1896 at which time Mr. and Mrs. A. Hobdy purchased it from Garland Braswell. The original house had slave quarters behind it. Hannah Fishback, a Scottsville native, was living in one of them at the time she was freed. Ellen Fishback, her daughter, later was employed by the Hodby family. Mr. and Mrs. Hobdy and their eleven children lived there until Mrs. Hobdy's death in 1958. This house is now owned by Mr. and Mrs. Hal Bryant.
79oct.jpg (28363 bytes)

(click on picture to see an enlarged view)

OCTOBER - Old Land Grant Home - drawn by Karen P. Ogles - 12th grade

This early American homestead is located on a hill in the Gainesville Community on what is now known as the John Grubbs farm. This farm is all that remains of a 1500 acre land grant given to the Jeremiah Stark Family from the Governor of Virginia. This tract of land extended from the intersection of Highway 101 to Old Port Oliver. You will find an old cemetery near Bethel Church in Gainesville where many of the Stark slaves were buried. Descendants of this Stark family live in Allen County and own this farm.
79nov.jpg (34631 bytes)

(click on picture to see an enlarged view)

NOVEMBER - Hobdy and Read - drawn by Barbara Huffine - 8th grade

The above building on East Main Street was built prior to 1914. It was the location of the first Ford dealership by Hobdy and Read (A. Hobdy and W. A. Read). The parts department was a grass sack in which they kept Ford parts and stored it in with the chickens, etc. The building later housed J. L. Turner & Son and at present Dollar General Corporation.
79dec.jpg (31804 bytes)

(click on picture to see an enlarged view)

DECEMBER - Scottsville's First Fire Truck - drawn by Julia Brogli - 11th grade

The Scottsville Volunteer Fire Dept. was organized around 1914 and had 10 members. They owned one truck which held a 250 gallon pumper. The other equipment on the truck was just the bare necessities. Mr. Eldon (Prock) Morgan was Fire Chief at that time. This picture was taken in 1923.