1980 MONTHLY PICTURE

 

80winner.jpg (16362 bytes)

(click on picture to see an enlarged view)

1980 calendar art winner - Concord United Methodist Church - drawn by Mendy Foster - 11th grade

Concord United Methodist Church located on Chapel Ridge road about 7 miles from Scottsville, Ky. was built on unclaimed land. Later this small valley was included in a boundary of land claimed by Wilson Foster who deeded the Church boundary to the Church Trustees in 1806. The first church was a one room building, built of logs with a fireplace in one end. The sanctuary of the present church was the second church which has been remodeled several times with additional conveniences added each time. The Church building has stayed virtually the same until 1968 when unfortunately on June 23, 1969, a flood washed the church off its foundation. The building has since been remodeled and restored. Attendance ranges form 40-60 each week and church membership is 72. Even though the membership is small the church has been one of God's great blessings to the community to which it serves.
80jan.jpg (26096 bytes)

(click on picture to see an enlarged view)

JANUARY -  Stony Point Methodist Church - drawn by Sherry Wade - 8th grade

Stony Point Church was organized in 1807 at the home of Alexander and Lydia Mayhew, they having settled where the present church now stands. The church now standing is the fourth. The first and second buildings were of log, and the third was a frame building. It burned on August 21, 1943. The new and present church was dedicated on August 20, 1943. This church is one of the most beautiful in our county. The records states many Baptists and Presbyterians give Stony Point as their place of conversion. That fact attests to the active part this church has played in community life. The church was split during the Civil War. At the site of the Stony Point church, the Southern Methodists held their services and the North element went to meetings at Pleasant Ridge.
80feb.jpg (18100 bytes)

(click on picture to see an enlarged view)

FEBRUARY -   Smyrna Cumberland Presbyterian Church - drawn by Hershel Cook - 9th grade

Smyrna Cumberland Presbyterian Church is located in the New Row Community and is one of the smallest churches in the county, and is the only Presbyterian Church in the County. Organized in March 1840 the records of the church show that 5 acres of land was purchased in 1850 for $25.00 and the frame building erected. Bro. C. G. Chick held the longest pastorate serving the church some 25 or 30 years. The first building was used until 1965 when the present brick church was built. The frame building was moved nearby and is used occasionally.
80mar.jpg (27836 bytes)

(click on picture to see an enlarged view)

MARCH - Harmony Missionary Baptist Church - drawn by Johnna Walker - 10th grade

Harmony Baptist Church was established June 17, 1844 in the Pope community of West Allen County. The land for the church building was donated by John Taylor. The present building is the third structure to be built which was built in 1948.
80apr.jpg (31475 bytes)

(click on picture to see an enlarged view)

APRIL -  Pleasant Ridge Methodist Church - drawn by J. David Haven - 10th grade

Pleasant Ridge United Methodist Church is located off 31 E, 4 miles west of Adolphus, Ky. The first church was organized and constructed around 1850. It was a one room crude log church with no chimney built for smoke to escape, just a hole left in the roof. This church burned and was replaced by another log building. Since 1903 a church was built, remodeled and today a beautiful brick church occupies the spot where once the first log church was built. The church has been one of God's great blessings to the Pleasant Ridge Community to which she serves.
80may.jpg (22393 bytes)

(click on picture to see an enlarged view)

MAY -  Mt. Union United Methodist Church - Brenda Kay Willoughby - 11th grade

Mt. Union Methodist Church is located near the border of Ky. and Tenn. state line in what is known as Mt. Union Community in Allen County. In 1832 the people of that community felt the need of a prayer meeting. At that time there were only 3 Christians living there. They held weekly prayer meetings in homes and with many conversions felt the need of a building in which to have a school for the children and a place to worship. A church was organized in the home of Jacob Teel with 13 charter members. A log house was built which was used for both school and worship. This first church stood until the close of the Civil War and was then replaced by another. The present building was completed in the fall of 1944 replacing the last 3 buildings which were made of hewn logs and put together with wooden pegs.
80jun.jpg (19194 bytes)

(click on picture to see an enlarged view)

JUNE - Mt. Gilead Missionary Baptist Church - drawn by Tonda Minix - 19th grade

Mount Gilead Baptist Church is located on Highway 671, known as Pitchford Ridge, 7 miles east of Scottsville, Ky. Thomas Scrivener, Richard Ragl and Ben Roark constituted Mt. Gilead on the west side of Barren River near Brown's Ford in Allen County, Ky. on December 29, 1829 with 15 members. There have been 5 buildings built on land where present church now stands. The first one was on land gotten from Hugh Brown and that is how Brown's Ford got its name. The third and fourth were built, improving each time until now. The 5th church was built sometime after 1906.
80jul.jpg (26088 bytes)

(click on picture to see an enlarged view)

JULY - New Salem Missionary Baptist Church - drawn by Alice Woodward - 10th grade

New Salem Missionary Baptist Church was organized March 4, 1843 at the home of Jacob Beheler with a large number of Baptists present. Bro. William Semands was called as the first pastor. In April the church met at "Bethany Meeting House" on Long Creek, and continued to meet there until 1850 when a new church was built. The Church shown in this picture is of hand hewed logs and hand sawed lumber and served the congregation until 1956 when the present church was built. The logs from the old building were sold to the State Historian of Tennessee to be used in the home of his daughter.
80aug.jpg (21837 bytes)

(click on picture to see an enlarged view)

AUGUST -  Liberty Missionary Baptist Church - drawn by Katrice Williams - 12th grade

Liberty Baptist Church is located about 5 miles Northwest on Highway 1332. It was organized May 17, 1843 with 26 Charter Members. The first building was a log structure located about 1/2 mile from the present site. The present building was erected and dedicated in the year 1888.
80sep.jpg (36284 bytes)

(click on picture to see an enlarged view)

SEPTEMBER - Big Springs Missionary Baptist Church - drawn by Duane Dedman - 11th grade

Big Springs Missionary Baptist Church located in the Settle Community was constituted as a Baptist Church June 18, 1847 at Big Springs schoolhouse. Isaac McMurry was called as the first pastor. Shortly after the constitution of the church a site was selected and a frame building was erected on the hill directly above the huge spring from which the school and church took their names. When the decision to build a new church was made in 1913, the church site was moved to its present location near Settle store. The seats in the present church and the bell in the churchyard are from the original church.
80oct.jpg (27388 bytes)

(click on picture to see an enlarged view)

OCTOBER - Bethel Missionary Baptist Church - drawn by Rose Bewley - 10th grade

Bethel Missionary Baptist Church is located about 12 miles north of Scottsville, Ky., Allen Co. at Gainesville. It was constituted in 1802 and was represented in the Green River Association that same year. The church became known as "The Stark Meeting House". Jeremiah Stark gave the land and materials to build the church. The building in which the church meets today is the original building, with major changes being made from time to time. The Church was reorganized in 1814 and became known as Bethel Baptist Church. Bethel first united with the Gasper River Association. In 1820 the Church entered the Drakes Creek Association. In 1841 the Bays Fork Association was constituted of Trammel Fork Rocky Springs and Bethel. In 1913 the name of Bays Fork Association was changed to the Allen Association. Bethel was the parent church of Cedar Cross in 1923 and Liberty in 1843. Three ministers have been ordained from Bethel Church, R.P. Brunson in 1841, Wilbert Taylor in 1942 and Jim Wood in 1975.
80nov.jpg (22841 bytes)

(click on picture to see an enlarged view)

NOVEMBER - Mt. Union General Baptist Church - drawn by Tina Gardner - 10th grade

Mt. Union General Baptist Church is located on Highway 231, Bowling Green Road. This Church was organized following a revival held by the Rev. Moses J. Bonner in a one room log schoolhouse known as Mulberry Hill, located near Halfway, Ky. ON Feb. 8, 1864 the first General Baptist Church in Allen Co. was organized with 13 charter members. From 1864 to 1869 the congregation met at Mulberry Hill schoolhouse. In 1869 fire destroyed the schoolhouse and the congregation held services in the home of Elder Holland. At one of the services they voted to erect a church building and at that time named the church Mt. Union. The land was given to the church by Wm. D. Thacker and wife, Dosia G. Thacker. Edward L. Ayers and wife, Patsy A. Ayers donated the land on the other side of the church.
80dec.jpg (15493 bytes)

(click on picture to see an enlarged view)

DECEMBER - Trammel Fork Missionary Baptist Church - drawn by Lisa Hardcastle - 12th grade

The present members of this church have every reason to be proud of the long and glorious history of this church. There has been a Trammel Fork Baptist Church thirteen years longer than there has been an Allen County, Ky. It was established in 1802, united with the Green River Association reporting 70 members. This church helped form the following Associations...Gasper River, 1812...Drake's Creek, 1820...Bays Fork, 1841. At a meeting of the Bays Fork Association in Scottsville, in 1913, the name Bays Fork was voted to be dropped and Allen be substituted as the name of the Association. The present building was built in 1908. In 1843, this church ordained a young man to preach the gospel. His name was Mordicah F. Ham. Many years later his grandson, another Mordicah Ham, was preaching in a revival in North Carolina, a young man was saved and later became a preacher of the gospel. His name is Billy Graham.