1991 MONTHLY PICTURE

 

91jan.jpg (33208 bytes)

(click on picture to see an enlarged view)

JANUARY -  (Rev. Letcher O. Cliburn Homeplace - drawn by Jerri Lynn Farley - 12th grade)

Letcher O. Cliburn was born April 14, 1860 and died May 17, 1942.  Mary (Brown) Cliburn was born Nov. 7, 1860 and died Oct 29, 1943.  Mr. and Mrs. Cliburn married Sep 22, 1880 and moved into this house which he had built.  He was a well-known carpenter in the area.  He built houses and made caskets.  They were the parents of 8 children: Bert, Everette, Garnet, Cliff, Kate, Pervis (Story), Etta (Stewart), and Johnnie.  He was ordained a Baptist Minister in July 191 and was also the County Surveyor for many years.  The house had a center hall and a large fireplace in the living area and a parlor on the left of the center hall.  There was a kitchen and dining area on the back.  There were three bedrooms upstairs.  Mr. and Mrs. Drewie Bewley bought the farm from Everette Cliburn and completely renovated the house using only the foundation and partitions.  It is located seven and 1/2 miles southeast of Scottsville on Highway 671, Pitchford Ridge.  (Courtesy of Vennie Stewart Richardson)
91feb.jpg (18666 bytes)

(click on picture to see an enlarged view)

FEBRUARY - (Sinking Springs School - drawn by Jason Marr - 11th grade)

Sinking Springs School was located about 7 miles from Scottsville on Highway 234 off Highway 101 North.  There was an earlier building, but exact site is unknown.  On July 7th, 1893 Sid Williams and wife Elizabeth deeded 3/4 acre of land to H.N. Willoughby, W.B. Tabor and Jessie M. Buchanon, trustees for Sinking Springs district number 13 in the Allen County System, as the site for a school building.  The original deed is now the property of Porter Towe Tabor.  It continued to be used as a school until it burned in July 1956.  Among the earliest teachers were Sallie (Tabor) Strait, Ezma (Morgan) Grubbs, Mautie (Willoughby) Reynolds and Mattie Pope.  The County Board of Education office has several census lists of the children in the district.  The earliest is 1913 when a Mr. Trammel was Superintendent.  Teachers registers with rather complete records were begun in 1926 when Clara Willoughby was the teacher.  At that time the building was valued at $600.0.  Irene (McCoy) Motley's salary in 1930 was $485.90.  In 1932 the term was only six months.  It began in July and ended December 23rd.  Some of the other teachers were: Ila (Osborne) Erwin, R.H. Brawner, Gladys (Stovall) Williams, Carline Williams, Ida Nell (Tabor) Allen, Vera French, Bailey Lyles, Marion (Ervin) Davis, and Irene White.  The land is now owned by Ed Herrington.  (Courtesy of Irene Motley)
91mar.jpg (34139 bytes)

(click on picture to see an enlarged view)

MARCH - (John and Sue Jackson Home - drawn by J.R. Russelburg - 10th grade)

This home at 311 West Cherry Street was built in 1914 by Judge William Cook.  He lived there until the early 1920's when the house was purchased by Humphrey Huntsman, father of Dr. Glenn Huntsman.  It was bought in 1943 by S.H. Massey, Sr., for his daughter, Ruby Claire Jackson.  All three of her children lived in this house.  They are: Sherry Jackson Grubs, Mary Bess Jackson Harper, and john Coleman Jackson.  Mrs. Jackson lived in this house until 1980.  At that time, she moved into her parents' house which is located directly behind this house.  The house was remodeled and since that time, her youngest child, John, his wife, Sue (Cornwell Jackson, and their son, John, reside here. (Courtesy of Sue Jackson)
91apr.jpg (29476 bytes)

(click on picture to see an enlarged view)

APRIL - (Hanes Hedges - drawn by Staci Carver - 10th grade)

This nine room frame home near Mt. Union on a Long Creek Farm was built in 1890 by Mizelle Hanes.  It is nestles among century-old beech and maple trees.  The house was restored and redesigned in 1939, eliminating the front balcony.  The residence is on a log foundation and has the original handmade brick chimney, which is still functional.   Mizelle and Susan (Law) Hanes had 8 children; Mollie married Charles Upton; Ollie married Jefferson Blair; Essie married Ester Napier; Rosco married Helen Pitchford; Echo married Allene Keen; Vessie married W.D. Coley; Dessie died in infancy; and Estile married Viola Binnion.  Mizelle, a farmer, was the great-grandson of Benjamin Hanes.   Benjamin was a Revolutionary War soldier and fought in the last battles of the war at Williamsburg, Hanover County and Yorktown.  In 1802 Benjamin, with his family, was journeying to the West.  Upon reaching Long Creek, one of the oxen died.  He settled and built a log cabin; this, the settlement became known as Hanestown.   (Courtesy of Susan Hanes - granddaughter of Mizelle Hanes)
91may.jpg (30883 bytes)

(click on picture to see an enlarged view)

MAY -  (Taylor School - drawn by Kenneth Williams - 12th grade)

This building was constructed in July of 1909.  It is located about 2 miles south of Petroleum on Macedonia Ridge, on what is known as the old George Wolfe farm.  It is now owned by Joyce Carter and is still standing.  The first known Taylor School was located on the Luke Mayhew farm about one mile south of this site.  It had been there since the 1860s.  Two of the early teachers in the old school were Harriette (Foster) Newman, mother of Ed Newman, who taught in the 1890s and Gussie Hinton who taught in 1901.   The first teacher in the 1909 school was Lillian Foster.  Some of the other teachers were: Lester Hinton, Goodson Spann, Ed Chandler, Hosea Sullivan, Pate Meador, Garland Jones, Porter Lamb, Clara House, Mautie (Eilloughby) Reynolds, Levy Gerald and Oscar Guy.  The school was consolidated with Petroleum in 1936 or 1937, Nadine (Marion) Davis was the last teacher.  (Courtesy of Merie Foster)
91jun.jpg (32517 bytes)

(click on picture to see an enlarged view)

JUNE - (Smith Ayers Homeplace - drawn by Charles Steenbergen - 12th grade)

The home of Sidney Smith Ayers was located in the Halfway community north of Scottsville on the west side of the Bowling Green pike, now known as Highway 231.  On Jan. 21, 1885, Smith Ayers bought the farm containing 104 acres from George Dudley Read and his wife Frances Belle (Spann) Read.  It is not known who built the house nor when it was built.  There were three large rooms downstairs and one large room upstairs.  Smith Ayers was the son of John and Elizabeth (Lynn) Ayers and the grandson of David and Polly (Alexander) Ayers.   Smith Ayers married Donnie Bell Read who was a descendant of John Read, Sr. John Read came form Great Britain in the early 1700s and settled in Culpepper Co. Virginia.   Three of his grandsons, Samuel, Theophilus and Robert Coleman came to Allen County prior to 1812.  Donnie Ayers was descended from Robert Coleman Read. The Ayers were the parents of 8 children, six of whom lived to adulthood.  They were Duncan, Charles David, Robert Lee, Allie Read (Buchanon), Minnie Ellen (Richards), John Dudley, Fanny and Clarence.  After Smith Ayers death in 1929, the home was sold at auction to Fonville and Georgia (Ayers) Smith.  Georgia is the granddaughter of the Ayers.  The house was destroyed by fire in 1932.  The Smith's then built a house closer to the Bowling Green Road.  It is presently owned and occupied by Chloe Spencer.   Several other people now own parts of the original farm.  (Courtesy of Mrs. Naomi Spencer)
91jul.jpg (25628 bytes)

(click on picture to see an enlarged view)

JULY - (John Aldridge "OLL" Downing Homeplace - drawn by Tina Kelsey - 12th grade)

The home of John Adridge "Oll" Downing and Nannie (Siddens) Downing, located in Holland, was built by Mrs. Downings grandfather, James Siddens.  The house, constructed of yellow poplar, may have been built for Mr. Siddens' bride, Angeline Crittenden Long, around 1860, the year they were married.  They reared a large family with many descendants still living in Allen County.  Mr. and Mrs. Downing bought the house in 1905.  Their four childre, Bess Broughton, Nell Barton, Joe and Henry Downing, were reared in this house.  During the years in which the Holland Normal School trained teachers, many girls boarded with this family.  Mrs. Downing called them "my girls."   Later, teachers at the Mt. Zion School lived with the Downings.  This home was always open to ministers, family and friends.  Mr. and Mrs. Downing lived here to celebrate their 70t wedding anniversary.  He died in 1972 and she in 1975.  the house is presently owned by Annice Conner, Burl Broughton, and Sue Nell Harwood, great-great grandchildren of James Siddens and grandchildren of "Oll" and Nancy Downing.  Two great-great-great grandchildren of James Siddens have lived in this house, one of them being its present occupants, Joel Broughton and his wife, Sara.   The original house was constructed in the traditional L-shape.  The porch and columns were added after the Downings purchased it.  The brick work and shutters were added in the mid-thirties.  (Courtesy of Mrs. Annice Conner)
91aug.jpg (33785 bytes)

(click on picture to see an enlarged view)

AUGUST -  (Jimmy Cecil Loyd Sr., Homeplace - drawn by James Maynard - 10th grade)

Jimmy Cecil Loyd, Sr. was born Jan 17, 1901.  He died Sept. 12, 1972.  Ella E. (Moulder) Loyd was born Dec. 1, 1908.  They were married Jan 6, 1925 in Gallatin, TN.  To this union were born 8 children:  Elsie Evelyn (Stafford), Thelma Ramona (Nealy), Jimmy Cecil Jr., Nellie Ray (Jent), David Jackson, Laura Joan (Sams), Marilyn Faye (Shaw).  Betty Jean is deceased.  jimmy Cecil bought the old home place from his mother just before her death in 1923.  In 1937 he built this house in front of the old home.  To raise his family, Mr. Loyd cut timber, worked in the oil fields, and worked in a factory in Kentucky and Indiana.  It is located three and a half miles south of Scottsville on the old Gallatin Road.  Mr. Loyd still resides there.  (Courtesy of Mrs. Nellie R. Jent)
91sep.jpg (24390 bytes)

(click on picture to see an enlarged view)

SEPTEMBER - (Robert "Bob" Burton Home - drawn by Danny Troutt - 12th grade)

This home was built in 1906 after the first home burned.  The first home was located down the hill from this one.   Other additions were made in 1921.  Lucille (Burton) Celsor, the only child of "Bob" and Lydia (Meng) Burton was born here.  The house is still standing.   In 1951, Waymon L. Stone and his wife, Dorothy (Dietz) Stone purchased the farm from "Bob" Burton.   They built a new home in 1970.  This farm is believed to be a part of the block of land owned by Mordicea Ham.   Mrs. Celsor remembers as a child some of the Ham family coming back and having a picnic there.   It is located off the Bowling Green Road, Highway 231 North, at 1521 East Old State Road.  (Courtesy of Mrs. Lucille Celsor and Mrs. Naomi Spencer)
91oct.jpg (30825 bytes)

(click on picture to see an enlarged view)

OCTOBER - (Frank and Johnnie Hughes Home - drawn by Deborah L. Petra - 12th  grade)

This house was built in the late 1800s by Thomas Hughes, an uncle of Frank Hughes.  It was first owned by the families of Carpenters and Hughes.  The house was designed by laying down sticks to show how they wanted the rooms placed.  One room has eight corners.  Years ago the family owned oxen, and they were shod near the house.  many oxen shoes have been found over the years in the yard.  In 1908 John Seay Downing and his wife Pearl bought the house and 500 acres of land.  They were the grandparents of Johnnie Hughes.  Other grandchildren of Mr. and Mrs. Downing who live in Allen County are Jessie Clay Tracy and Mary Arterburn.  Recently John and Jane Newman purchased all the farm with the exception of a few acres surrounding the house from Mr. and Mrs. Hughes.   It is located 3 miles form Holland on Walnut Hill road.  (Courtesy of Johnnie Hughes and Mary Arterburn)
91nov.jpg (28665 bytes)

(click on picture to see an enlarged view)

NOVEMBER - (Raleigh School - drawn by Rhonda Graves - 12th  grade)

Raleigh School was located five miles north of Holland on Highway 99 in the Amos community.  It was built in the 1800s by the parents in the community.  It was destroyed on March 18, 1925 by a tornado.  The parents built the present day building.  It is now owned by Murl Wilson.  The last school year was 1956-57.  Some of the teachers were Jake Hood, Noel Harper, Herbert Douglas, Cammie (Jent) White, Will Johnson, N.S. Shaw, Ethel Arterburn, Hattie (Crowder) Hanes, Virgie (Arterburn) Lloyd, W.E. Taylor, Lera (Crowder) Hanes, Ed White, Elder Russell, Warner Dyson, Earl Garrison, Raymon Brawner, Terry Douglas, Willie (Hudson) Law, Annice (Brown) Tracy, Byrna (Brown) Bewley, and Nancy Cook.   (Courtesy of Susan Hanes)
91dec.jpg (28292 bytes)

(click on picture to see an enlarged view)

DECEMBER - (Joe Spears Homeplace - drawn by David Workman - 11th grade)

This home was located about 6 miles north of Scottsville on the Travis Road, 2 miles off Hwy 231.  Charles Joseph Spears was the son of Thomas and Malissa (Boucher) Spears.  He was born July 19, 1855.  He and Robert Delaware Smith were married Sept. 9, 1874.  They were the parents of 12 children: Artie Middie Jane, Mack, Lacy, Mary, Thompson, Willis, Blackburn, B. Harrison, Warren, Allen, (twins, who died in infancy) Ida Mertise (Callahan), Wavie Edith (Willoughby).  they built this house in 1883 and moved into it in 1884.   The house had two large rooms in the front with a wide hall and double doors opening into the front porch.  There were three fireplaces.  It had a large kitchen across the back.  Joe and Bob, as they were known to everyone, were very industrious.  They worked their land and provided well for their family.  At one time they ran Travis Post Office which was located in a small building across the road from their dwelling.  The post office was moved to the Albert Harris place about 1894 and remained there until 1901.  Besides farming he had a blacksmith shop.  He also hauled produce to Bowling Green and brought back merchandise for George Dudley Read's store at Halfway, Ky.  He sold milk, butter, poultry, eggs and vegetables in Scottsville, delivering these by horse and buggy.   In 1926 while coming home from his route, he had a stroke and was unable to drive, but, Prince, the horse, knew the way and took him home.  He died in 1927 and his wife, Bob, died in 1937.   (Courtesy of Ruby Spears Cliburn, granddaughter of Joe Spears.)