Another early community was Port Oliver, shown on Munsell's map of Kentucky, 1818, but not on the Kentucky Bureau of Agriculture, Labor and Statistics map, 1898-1899. In the 1790's George Washington Oliver settled at a natural salt outcropping located on the Barren River near the mouth of Big Difficult Creek. The site was a trading post on an old buffalo and Indian trail which had been recently surveyed and opened up for the use of white settlers. The trail (known later as the Stovall Road) ran from Lexington to Nashville, Tennessee. It entered Barren County just south of Rocky Hill, crossed the Barren River at Oliver's place (which had been named Port Oliver), passed through the present Gainesville and Scottsville and on to Nashville. Joseph Holman settled in the area in 1809 and ran the Holman Hotel located on Buck Creek about two miles west of Finney, near a Sulphur Springs. This may have been the old hotel at which President Andrew Jackson stayed overnight on his way from Washington to his home in Nashville. By 1815 Port Oliver was a settlement large enough to be divided into town lots of twelve acres each and, in 1824, it had its first post office with Fielding Fant, Nathaniel Duff and John Stark as postmaster and bondsmen. In 1825, however, the post office was moved across the river to Rocky Hill in Barren County and Franklin Settle, Simon Settle and H. Holman were postmaster and bondsmen. A 1939 newspaper article reported that the post office at Port Oliver was called Lewis Post Office in 1831 and was moved to Gainesville in 1856 where Miss Lucy Stark was postmistress (2).
Roy Butler, a riverboat captain whose home port was Port Oliver, described the Barren River of those days as a fine, blue and clear river, not muddy like the Mississippi. A small steamboat could navigate the Ohio River to the Green River, down the Green River to the Barren River at least as far as Bowling Green and often on to Port Oliver (3).
By 1833, George W. Erwin, owner of the Port Oliver salt works, extended his operations across the Barren River into Barren County. He used a pipe line made of wood to carry salt water back across the river. He boiled the salt water down to get the salt and stored the finished product in a warehouse. Port Oliver grew so rapidly that in 1839 the Kentucky General Assembly passed an act to enlarge the Port Oliver district from a half mile to a mile and a half in each direction and to allow the election of three trustees for the town. Jededia Smith, a worker in the salt mines, reported in his letters of 1846 that they were producing 300 bushels of salt per week (4).
Not much is known, often not even the location, of some of the early post offices in the county. Among these are Siddons, Hughes and Hippola. Siddons, probably a settlement near the Allen-Barren county line, was obviously named in honor of James Siddons, a resident of Barren County in 1810 and postmaster of Siddons in 1827. His father, William Siddons, had come from Virginia in the 1790's and purchased 900 acres of land on the Barren River. Hughes was named after its first postmaster in 1829--Absalom Hughes, a Revolutionary War soldier who had settled near the Allen-Barren County line. The bondsmen for Hughes
wereWipler Alston and Lorenzo Dow Henderson. The origin of the name Hippola is a puzzle. Perhaps it was named by a scholar who fancied the Greek word hippo meaning horse and polis meaning city and contracted the two words to Hippola, and perhaps Hippola was located on or near a horse farm owned by its first postmaster William T. Henderson in 1828 (5).
Stony Point in the southwestern part of the county was first named Bradburn in 1828 after its postmaster, William C. Bradburn. Samuel Ellis, a Welshman born in Brunswick County, Virginia, in 1791, John and James Mayhew from Bedford County, Virginia, and Allen D* Berry, a descendant of French Huguenot immigrants, took up land in the area. The Mayhews donated land for the Stony Point Methodist Church and churchyard where lie the remains of not only the earliest settlers but later comers like James Lovelace, Robert Calvert, Uriah Hinton and Andrew Travelsted (6).
State Line, shown on Lloyd's map of Kentucky, 1862, was located on the Allen County-Tennessee border just a few miles southwest of Scottsville. Iredell W. Foster was appointed its postmaster in 1833 but the post office was discontinued in 1844.
Adolphus, located south of Scottsville, near the Tennessee state line, was established as a post office in 1888 (application on Jan. 27)and named after Adolphus Alexander, son of Allen County pioneer James Alexander. The post office was named Adolphus because there was already a U.S. post office in Kentucky named Alexander. Another Alexander of note and a descendant of Adolphus and James Alexander was Dr. Birge Alexander who moved to Texas after the Civil War and settled in the southwest near Uvalde, Texas. A grandson of Birge Alexander married a sister of President Lyndon Johnson and lived in Austin, Texas in the 1930's (7). According to Mrs. Claudius Hinton Harris of the Kentucky Library, Western Kentucky University, later postmasters of Adolphus were Elonzo P. Hinton, 1888, Jessey M. Keene, 1889, Carvill Fykes, 1920-1935, Rufus Follis, 1935-1941, Mrs, Claudius Hinton Harris, 1941-1948, Kenneth Jones, 1948-1960, Mrs. Carol Wygal Graves, 1960 to present (1973).
A small settlement grew in south central Allen County when oil was discovered there in the 1880's. An earlier settlement nearby, called Oil Spring, is shown on Munsell's map of Kentucky, 1818, and a Kentucky Geological Survey map, 1877. Its residents wanted to name the first post office in 1886 Oil City but there was another town in Kentucky with that name so the residents settled for the name Petroleum (shown on a Kentucky Bureau of Agriculture, Labor and Statistics map of Kentucky, 1898-1899). Joseph W. Tiffany and John M. Hinton served as its first postmasters. Further east in the southern part of Allen County were three more settlements with post offices: Puncheon, located on Puncheon Creek (later named Pinchgut Creek) about twelve miles southeast of Scottsville, had Anderson Hammett as postmaster in 1850, and John Walden, 1851 to 1855. Hungry Creek, about ten miles southeast of Scottsville, had Wilson Austin as postmaster in 1862, and Doddy, on Doddy Branch Creek about eight miles southeast of Scottsville, had as postmasters: Benjamin C. Huntsman, 1880, William E. Hargett, 1866, Jack T. Glover, 1888, Benjamin C. Huntsman, 1889, and Oliver H. P. Pitchford, 1892.
Carpenter's Mill, in western Allen County, was established as a post office on November 16, 1836. This Carpenter's Mill is not to be confused with the Carpenter's Mill on Long Creek in southeastern Allen County, shown on Lloyd's map of Kentucky, 1862. This same map shows Claypool Mill located on the Warren-Allen county line just a few miles north of Allen Springsperhaps this could have once been referred to as Fed Carpenter's Mill. H. P. Scantland, Nicholas G. Henderson and William C. Hagans served as postmasters from 1838 to 1848 at which time the post office was changed from Carpenter's Mill to Allen Springs. Allen Springs is called Allens Springs on Lloyd's map of Kentucky, 1862, and on the Kentucky Geological Survey map of 1877. In 1836 J. T. Hamey provided a boarding house at Allen Springs where many invalids came to drink the curative sulphur water. He advertised in the Green River Gazette as follows: board per week for man and horse,$5.00; single person, $3.50; children and servants half price; spirits and wine charged separately. Samuel Carpenter who had served in the Kentucky legislature in 1841 was struck in 1844, in the midst of his campaign for election to the Kentucky Senate, with an attack of bilious fever. He arrived at Allen Springs to drink the waters and to rest, and soon returned to campaigning. He was successfully elected to fill the remainder of the term of Senator W. V. Loving, who had resigned, and the next term Carpenter again won the seat against another opponent, Richard S. Ford, of Scottsville. Though the U. S. Post Office Department soon caught out its error in establishing two almost adjacent post offices, Allen Springs had a post office from February 18 to September 16, 1837 with James M. Nanny serving as postmaster. After 1848 the following postmasters served: John Shanks, 1848; M. Y. H. Holland, 1851; Simeon M. Worley, Major Y. H. Holland, 1867; Sidney W. Pruitt, 1870;/James / T. Kirby and James McConnell, 1873; Daniel L. Hagerman,1874; Mrs. Milley J. Holland, 1875; James T. Kirby, 1876; William H. Rochester, 1877; Emery Faleer, 1878; and James 0. Perry, 1879. The Allen Springs of the 1870's was a thriving place. It was situated in the heart of the Carolina district of Allen Countythe transplanted Carolinians were hard-working, honest, religious people. Among them was the numerous Holland clan from the Pendleton District of South CarolinaBriton, William and Hezekiah Holland had arrived in western Kentucky in the 1790's. Some of the family, including Major Younger Hyder Holland, operated a tanning yard at Allen Springs. In July, 1870, tragedy struck the little community when a drunken spree at the springs resulted in the death of Calvin Willoughby and the flight from the county of two of the Maynard family brothers. In June, 1871, the local Republicans held a convention at the springs and chose as their candidate for the district Captain L. S. Beck. In January, 1872, a storehouse belonging to a Mr. Wadkins was robbed and burned at Allen Springs (8). So far this author has found no clue to locate Vernon which was established as a post office with Benjamin Downing as postmaster in 1839. It was discontinued in 1843 and may have been combined with a nearby post office. Cedar Springs, located northeast of Scottsville, near the Barren River, had Walter M. Thomas, one of the first county justices, as its postmaster in 1847. Postmasters Isham Thomas, Wesley Thomas and R. M. Spillman served until 1863 and Harrison Benedict, William Griffin, Toliver Moore, James H. Moore, William J. Oldfield, John J. Davidson, W. W. Moore served from 1865 to 1891. The area of Cedar Springs abounds in cedar trees, and has several springs, hence the name Cedar Springs.
In 1847, Samuel B. Gaines, who came from Virginia, settled in Barren County and operated a store, was appointed the first postmaster of Gainesville, located northeast of Scottsville and south of Port Oliver between two green hills on the banks of Big Difficult Creek. The settlement is called Games V. on Lloyd's map of Kentucky, 1862, but is properly identified on the 1877 Kentucky Geological Survey map. Henry Finney ran amill nearby in 1842 and the place was called Finney. It was a corn, wheat and sawmill combined, but after the death of Henry Finney in 1864, the mill was torn down and the material used to build a house for Benjamin Pulliam, a descendant of Joseph Pulliam of Culpeper County, Virginia, who had settled on the Green River in the 1790s (9).
Another settler in this same area was Jeremiah Stark who owned 750 acres on Difficult Creek, 29 slaves and 21 horses and cows. The old slave cemetery near his home later became the site of a church and cemetery. The Stark settlement grew so much that by 1840 over 200 people lived in the area. Duncan Stark, son of Jeremiah, owned a store and John Burks, a blacksmith shop. John W. Stark, a member of Captain Ridley's Company of "(General Simon B.)Buckner's Guards," was by the side of General Felix K. Zollicoffer when the latter was slain at the battle of Mill Spring. Thomas M. C. Goodnight, a tanner, Benjamin Neal, a physician, John Caruthers (who built his house in 1814), George Sorpena, a German stone mason who built many Allen County chimneys, members of the Edward Martin, Williams, Christman and Grubbs families lived in the area in the 1850's. Postmasters for Gainesville were E. P. Gaines, 1849; Edward P. Neale, 1850; Charles C. Stark, 1854; Andrew J. Johnson, 1861; John S. Godley, 1862; Benjamin F. Neale, 1870; John W. Stark, 1878; Obadiah F. Durham, 1884; John W. Stark, 1885; Robert T. Patton, 1892 (10).
Butlersville, located ten miles west of Scottsville, had a grist mill on Trammel Fork Creek, and had its first postmaster, John C. Hammond, in 1848. Other postmasters from 1849 to 1878 were Josiah W. Dickey, Wiley W. Davis, George D. Read, William C. Carpenter, William Gilbert, John W. Crow, Cyrus N. Simmons, and George W. Samuels. Mount Aerial, located in western Allen County north of New Roe and near the Simpson-Allen County line, had its first post office in 1854 with Willis E. Arnold serving as postmaster. Other postmasters were Joseph W. Crow, 1860; William Blackburn, 1864; Burrell Russell, 1864; William R. Pope, 1870; Jason C. Alderson, 1875; George P. Russell, 1886; Price Oliver, 1889; and Walter M. Lewis, 1892.
New Roe, probably named after Roe's (or Row's) Mill on Drake's Creek (now in Simpson County) is located in the southwestern part of the county near the Simpson-Allen County line and the Sumner County, Tennessee line. It is spelled New Row on the Kentucky Geological Survey map of 1877 but New Roe on Lloyd's Kentucky map, 1862. Among the early settlers were Joseph Anthony who came to Kentucky from North Carolina, married in Warren County in 1803, and surveyed and patented 550 acres of land on Drake's Creek (Middle Fork), Allen County. He had ten children and his tombstone still stands in good condition near his home at New Roe. Other settlers were John Hunt, Joshua and Isaac Reeder, Thomas and Jonathan Eubank (who came from the old Pendleton District, South Carolina), Raby Harrell (from North Carolina), Alexander Mayhew and David Walker. Charles A. Spears was the first postmaster at New Roe in 1844. Postmasters who followed from 1852 to 1884 were Chriswell H. O'Neal, Benjamin J. Gaines, Moses M. Chancy, William T. Tucker, Young L. Allen, Byrd F. Anthony, James David Nelley, Joseph T. Anthony, James D. Kelley and John E. Moore (II).
Alonzo, located near Middle Fork of Drake's Creek and northeast of New Roe, had a post office from 1886 to 1888 with Alonzo D. Brashear serving as postmaster. Since New Roe and Alonzo were so near to each other the U.S. Post Office Department decided to discontinue Alonzo, but pressure brought to bear on the department by the local Congressmen soon reinstated Alonzo with Calaway H. Mayhew as postmaster.
Chapel Hill, located near Alonzo and New Roe in the southwestern corner of the county, rests on top of one of the highest timber covered hills (Red Hill being the other) of the many hills in the region. William H. Walker served as its first postmaster in 1860, William H. Harris served intermittently during the Civil War but it was not until 1873 that Mordecai J. Pruitt began regular service again. He was followed by postmasters D. L. Hagennan and William H. Walker in 1874; Granderson F. Martin, 1882 to 1888; and James G. Martin, 1888 to the 1890's. There was one more small post office which had a brief tenure near Chapel HillClare, probably named after the wife of David W. Harris, postmaster in 1892. It is still a small settlement near Middle Fork School.
Trammel and Halfway are located in the western part of Allen County, fairly near the Warren County line. Trammel probably got its name from Nicholas and Philip Tramel (sic), members of Captain Benjamin Logan's Company who hunted in the area in 1779. This part of Warren and Allen counties along Trammel Creek was known as the Carolina district because so many of the settlers came from the Carolinas, as noted earlier in this book. Abner Nanny received a land grant south of the Green River on Trammel Creek on September 4, 1807. A Welshman whose grandfather had left the house of Nannau, Dolgelly, Merionethshire, Wales, and come to the Isle of Wight County, Virginia, in 1745, Abner had brought his father Uriah Nanny from Rutherford County, North Carolina, to settle in this new fertile land of Kentucky. Abner was well educated for a man of his time, and among the family possessions were a world globe, books, reams of paper, writing desks, book cases, three violas (or violins), and a grandfather clock (12). Other Welshmen also came to the areathe Ellis, Merritt, Jones and Evans families and John, Charles, Elias, Henry, Silas and Jordan Morganthe Morgans from Rutherford County, North Carolina.
William, Hugh, Ezekiel, Jarrett and Mark Justice came to this area from North CarolinaMark Justice receiving his land grant on Trammel Fork on July 20, 1799. Jeremiah, Hardy, Jesse and George Hinton, William Henry Walthall and Bryant Hood were among others who took up land here after they left Wake County, North Carolina. Sampson Tramel (sic) owned four hundred acres of land on Trammel Creek in 1815. Other settlers who gave Trammel Creek as the watercourse where their land lay in 1815 were: Andrew, Benjamin, Isaac and Israel Anderson, James R. Alexander, William Blackwell, Thomas Brown, John Bennett, William Barton, Samuel Calvert, Abraham Coal, John Co 11 ins, John Carrier, Henry Caldwell, David Chariton, William J. Corder,Ashby Duncan, John Durham, Drury Foster, John Gibson, Hezekiah Garrett, William Ham, Henry Huntsman, Jesse Hawkins, Elijah Hooten (Sr. and Jr.), and Manuel Hooten, R. William Jackson, Young Lamar and Robert Logan (13). John B. Russell was postmaster of the Trammel Post Office from 1881 to 1887. Halfway is a small settlement located about halfway between Bowling Green and a point in Tennessee (probably near State Line) on the old Scottsville turnpike. It was named Halfway during the days that the mail was delivered on horseback (14). Among the early settlers there were Thomas and Ezekiah Spann, Solomon Willoughb^ and William, Daniel and Jarvis Cornwell. Postmasters were Levi J. Spann, 1877; George D. Read, 1884; Edwin L. Richards, 1891; and Perry T. Barnes, 1892. Another nearby small settlement located southeast of Halfway near Bay's Fork Creek is shown on the 1898-1899 Kentucky Bureau of Agriculture, Labor and Statistics map of Kentucky and is called Travis.
Halifax, located five miles northwest of Scottsville, was established as a post office in 1879 with James L. Coleman as postmaster. Later postmasters were Isaac Tabor, 1879; Robert L. Buckhannon, 1880; Nicholas P. McDonald, 1881; James F. Weaver, 1883; T. G. Sledge, 1885; Chestine F. Settle, 1888.
William Holland settled in the southern part of Barren County near Long Creek about 1810 (15). This area became part of Allen County in 1815 and the settlement around his homestead became known as Holland. It had its first postmaster in 1881 with John H. Francis, F. G. Harlan (1882 until discontinued in 1886), Warren A. Huntsman (1886 to 1888), James Siddens, 1888 to 1890.
About 1814, at the very apex of Allen County on the Barren River, James J. Foster, using slave labor, built a fine brick house which still stands. Foster died in 1818 and the house and several thousand acres of land became the property of Isaac Satterfield (16).
Meador is a small settlement located between Big Difficult and Little Difficult creeks in the northern part of Allen County and was part of an earlier settlement near Big and Little Difficult creeks. Collins, in his History of Kentucky, Vol. I, names Thomas Settle as one of the soldiers serving in Captain William Harrod's Company in 1780 and the Barren County tax list for 1810 shows Thomas Settle. Felix T. Settle was the postmaster of Settle in 1887 and it was probably he who named the post office. Sidney P. Hardcastle served as postmaster in 1892. Another nearby area which had a settlement before 1815 was Bethlehem located near Upper Difficult Church on Difficult Creek. Some of the early settlers were: James and John Atwood, Thomas Ashby, John and Joshua Buckhannony" Peter Boucher; John Bartlett, John Bruntston, John, Albertus and Tobias Bright, Stephen Bridges, Daniel, Elijah and Vinson Cushenberry, Burrell Crowder, Jacob Dry, Morgan Finney, John and Anthony Griffin, Solomon Levi, Thomas Oliver, William Pulliam, Eli Roberts, Isaac Satterfield, James and Jeremiah Stark, Walter Thomas and Samuel Wickware (17).
Whitney, though it never had a post office, is located on the Barren River below the present reservoir and Cedar Springs. It was settled by John Whitney who came to Kentucky from South Carolina in 1790, obtained a land grant in what was Lincoln County in 1794, and owned eight hundred acres of land, ten slaves and four horses in 1815. The Whitneys multiplied and thrived, so that by 1860 the Whitney settlement was quite large. A later nearby settlement south of Whitney is Maynard, supposedly named after Hick Maynard, a native of Tennessee, who, either during or after the Civil War, built a store in that area--it was only two miles from the Boyle Post Office on the Tompkinsville road. Boyle had been named Brownsford before the Civil War and Charles Napier had been its first postmaster. It was later named Boyle after Boyle Stone. In still later years the post office was moved to Buncombe, later called Maynard. There was once a log church near Boyle on the Tompkinsville road. Jesse Graham had a mill, called Graham's Mill, located near Whitney (18). Before General Albert Sidney Johnston was forced to evacuate Bowling Green in February, 1862, he sent one of his generals, Felix K. Zollicoffer, on a scouting trip in eastern Allen County. Zollicoffer's army marched through the old Whitney farm, crossed Walnut Creek, stopped at the old Horse Mill (probably the same one mentioned as Jesse Graham's Mill) to buy whiskey at twelve cents per quart, marched past Hick Maynard's store and on down the "Negro Dug" road (so named because the road had been built by slave labor. In later years a barn was erected on the spot where the old Horse Mill had stood and it was always called the Horse Mill barn because the pillows were the mill rocks from the mill (19).
Walnut Creek, located in eastern Allen County, flows into the Barren River at the Whitney settlement. Some of the settlers who lived farther back on Walnut Creek in 1815 were: Benjamin Benedick, Jeremiah Blackwell, Joseph, William and Johnson Cockrille, Alexander Dinwiddy, William Dearing, Catherine Forgason, Thomas Griffin (a captain in the 14th Kentucky Regiment in the War of 1812), William Collins, John Gatewood, Christopher Hains (a Revolutionary War pensioner), Philip Hailer.Sr., William Holder, Richard Mitchell, George Shipley and William Tinsley.
Rodemer (which had postmaster James W. Frost in 1891) was on the Nashville turnpike about five miles south of Scottsville and Forest Springs (George P. Wade as postmaster in 1887) was located on the Nashville turnpike about ten miles south of Scottsville. Forest Springs was noted as a health resort. Mount Gilliard, location unknown to this author, was mentioned in 1851 in John G. Durham's day book. He mentioned going to Scottsville first and heading eastward to Mount Gilliard (20). Pope and West Fork, south of Trammel and Halfway in western Allen County, are settlements located on present-day maps and Fleet and Smyrna are located in southwestern Allen County. Bailey is located in northwest Allen County near the western Warren-Allen County line. Walnut Grove is located in south central Allen County near the Sumner County, Tennessee line and Amos, Roary, and Mount Union in southeast Allen County. Yesse, probably named after Yesse Oliver, is located south of Settle and Meador in northern Allen County.
NOTES: COMMUNITIES AND TOWNS
* Dolly Barmann, "Miz Seelback's Hotel," Trammel Fork Creek, p. 45.
1. U.S. Post Office Department, Records of the Postmasters, Record Group 28, NNR, National Archives, Washington, D.C. See also Luke Munsell, Map of Kentucky, Frankfort, 1818; Lloyd's Official map of the state of Kentucky,New York, J. T. Lloyd, 1862, both Munsell's and Lloyd's maps from the Library of Congress, Geography and Map Division, Washinton, D.C., and Kentucky Geological Survey Map, 1877, Filson Club. For members of the Kentucky legislature, see Lewis Collins, History of Kentucky, II, 770 (reprint).
2. Map of Allen County in 13th Biennial Report of the Bureau of Agriculture, Labor and Statistics of the state of Kentucky, 1898-1899, Filson Club. For the location of Stovall road see Todd County Standard, June 3, 1939. The Holman Hotel is discussed in Scottsville ^"Citizen-Times, May 24, 1939. See also the 1815 Allen County tax list at the Kentucky Historical Society, Frankfort.
3. Captain Roy Butler, Log Book, 1829-1870 (original owned by Wordney White, Bowling Green, Kentucky). Parts of the Log Book were published in an article in Allen County News, May 12, 1965.
4. Description of salt mining in Glasgow Daily News, July 1, 1939. For growth of Port Oliver and salt yield, see Acts of the Kentucky General Assembly, 1839, p. 27, and Jededia Smith letter,1846, manuscript collection, Kentucky Library, Western Kentucky University, Bowling Green.
5. U.S. Population Schedule, Barren County, Kentucky, 1810, and U.S. Post Office Department, Records of the Postmasters.
6. M. 0. Eubank to L. H., July 8, 1964.
7. Scottsville Citizen-Times, January 28, 1965.
8. Description of the Hollands from Home Mission Board, Mount Union Baptist Association, History of Mt. Union Association of General Baptists, 1876-1961, pp. 20-23. Other items taken from Clinton S. Potter diary, manuscript collection, Kentucky Library, Western Kentucky University, Bowling Green.
9 Finney Mill is discussed in Allen County News, May 24, 1939.
10. For a list of property of Jeremiah Stark see Allen County tax list, 1815. For John W. Stark and others see W. H. Perrin, Kentucky:A History of the State (reprint), p. 40 and Scottsville Citizen-Times, May 24, 1939.
11. Row's Mill is discussed in Acts of the Kentucky General Assembly, 1865, 1866, p. 450. Data on Joseph Anthony from M. 0. Eubank to L. H., July 8, 1964.
12. Logan's Company mentioned in Collins, History of Kentucky, I, p. 12. For a discussion of the Nannys see appraisement of estate of Abner Nanny, October II, 1822, Warren County Court, Wills and Inventories, Vol. II, p. 458, and Louise Horton, " A Brief Genealogical History of Some of the Descendants of John Nanny of Brunswick County, Virginia," (unbound copy, vertical file, Kentucky Library, Western Kentucky University.
13. For Mark Justice land grant see W. R. Jillson, Kentucky Land Grants, p. 345, and for settlers named see Allen County tax list, 1815.
14. Allen County News, March 16, 1972.
15. U.S. Population Schedule, Barren County, Kentucky,1810.
16. "Allen County Houses," vertical file, Kentucky Library, Western Kentucky University.
17. Allen County tax list, 1815.
18. R. C. Jackson to L. H., February 1, 1965, and Allen County News, April 8, 1971.
19. H. G. Whitney, Woodburn, Kentucky, to L. H.,February 15, 1964.
20. John G. Durham day book, 1849-1856, manuscript collection, Kentucky Library, Western Kentucky University.
[back to main page]