Join The Bourbon County Genealogical Society
Today! Learn how...
MILLS CHRISTIAN CHURCH HISTORY
Alan Dorschug, 4/13/08)
The first church in Ruddles Mill was the Stoner Mouth
organized in October 1786. Mt. Carmel Christian Church was built
The present Methodist Church was erected about 185O. Also, there
Presbyterian Church at Shawhan.
The Church of Christ (Christian Church) was organized at Ruddles
Mill, in the
Fall of 1841.
...The foundation was laid, as Bro. James Fisher lay on his
death bed, and
being what was called a radical Methodist, by his reading of the
was convinced of the truth of the Reformation. He sent for Bro.
John A. Gano
and on his bed of affliction, confessed the Savior, and
expressed a wish to
have a Church established, at Ruddles Mill, upon the Bible and
alone. The people united with the Church, at that time were;
Dimett, Hannah Fisher and Anne Fisher. William Fisher, the
father of Bro.
James Fisher, confessed the Savior, but refused to submit to
therefore, he was not received into the Church.
The Church was established, mainly through the efforts of Mr.
succeeded in gathering a substantial following for the Ruddles
Church. Other Elders were Samuel Rodgers, Willis O. Collins,
and W. A. Stewart. Deacons were Quinca A. Houston, John MeNear,
Wyatt, Sr., and George W. Bowen They took their membership to
Mt. Carmel, for
a while, before the building was completed. They were often
refused the use
of either House of worship, in Ruddles Mill. The Church lingered
through many persecutions, from the sects and the world.
Nothing much was done, until the Fall of 1853, when that
peerless and noble
man, John, T. Johnson, commenced a series of meetings, assisted
Samuel Rodgers, and reorganized the Church and urged the members
to start on
their new building.
An acre of ground was purchased, from the Dr. Preston Lindsay
$400.00. David Tate hauled the stone, for the foundation, with a
oxen. The foundation was laid by Hiram Toadvine. A rectangular,
structure was built, at. the cost of $2,700.00 and completed in
A dedication service was conducted, by Bro. R. C. Ricketts, Sr.,
to one of
the largest congregations ever to assemble at Ruddles Mill.
There were 66
additions and $800.00 was raised to pay off the Church debt.
In the early years, many revivals were held. In a letter, Bro.
Johnson wrote in 1853, he says that the house and the yard were
filled up. In
June 1855, Bro..Johnson wrote; 'In six days we had 60 additions.
continued a week longer, with 10 additions.' In February 1859,
had grown to 154. By June 1876, the number of persons united
with the Church
was 154. In February 188l, the number united with the Church, by
and otherwise, amounted to 288 members. Elders, at this time
Coilins, H. C. Eals, H. R. Wyatt and William Isgrig. Deacons
were; John R.
Montgomery, David Tate, Harry Eals and Larkin Munrow. In the
early years, the
records show many Ministers came and went. An average length of
probably a year.
J. R. Montgomery presented the Church with a handsome Communion
which was used until the early 1920's. A pulpit Bible was given
to the Church
by the Preston Lindsay heirs, in 1867.
There was also one given by Lillie Cromwell Victor, in 1887.
These old Bibles are preserved in a cabinet built and donated to
by Mr. a Mrs. Ray Keller, in 1966.
The earliest, available records, for Sunday School, show that
the Bible School had 5 teachers and 49 members present., with an
$1.18. The next records were in 1922. They show 4 officers, 6
teachers and 53
present.. The offering was $2.08.
From Paris Libary 4/1999 1st page only
- Silas Run Baptist Church