HOME MEMBERSHIP RESEARCH SERVICES SOCIETY PUBLICATIONS RESEARCH VOLUNTEERS SITE SEARCH
CONTACT US GUESTBOOK RESEARCH RESOURCES THE BOURBON COUNTIAN PIONEER CERTIFICATE AREA SOCIETIES

 

Join The Bourbon County Genealogical Society Today! Learn how...

 

Newspaper Articles

Submitted by Kellie Scott

 

These were copied out of an old scrapbook at the Bourbon County Library in Paris, KY by the Bourbon County Genealogical Society.  They are not the complete article but have been shortened. 

 

BUCKNER/SIMMS/ALEXANDER/WEIR

September 3, 1952  by Kent Hollingsworth

Xalapa Farm in Bourbon County

 

Virginian William Thomas Buckner founded the estate between Paris and North Middletown and the present residence in 1827.  A son, Henry inherited the 880 acres upon his return from the Mexican War. 

 

In 1897 Confederate Col. William Erskine Simms purchased the farm and later bequeathed it to his sons, William E. and Edward Francis Simms.  It was under Ed Simms that the farm became one of the most important thoroughbred establishments in the country.  During the 1920's he and John E. Madden and Arthur B. Hancock and Colonel Phil T. Chinn were generally regarded as the most influential commercial breeders in America.

 Ed Simms was born in Paris in 1870.  Simms was an active man an ran through his inheritance in a hurry.  Around the turn of the century  he borrowed $750 from Thomas P. Hayes and went to Texas with a promise not to return until he was rich. He arrived in Texas during the Sour Lake boom and emerged with a fortune.   Simms returned to Bourbon County in 1915 and bought out his brother, who had married Miss Lucy Alexander and resided in Woodford County. He died in 1938, survived by his wife Miss Lillie Weir granddaughter of Colonel James Weir; a sister Miss Lucy Simms and his brother William E. Simms of Woodford County. 

 

 

BUCKNORE

  

September 3, 1952 by Gene Maner

 

Walter Bucknore was born March 7, 1791 at Deep Spring Carolina County VA.  He married his cousin, Elizabeth Walker Buckner.  He came to KY about 1810.  Their one son, William A. Buckner married Sally Woodford.


 

CLAY

 

February 18, 1962  by Bettye Lee Mastin  Herald-Leader Home Page Editor

 

General Green Clay was the father of  Brutus Clay and Cassius M. Clay.

 

Ezekial F. Clay was the third son of Brutus Clay by his first wife Amanda Field.  The year after Amandaís death in 1843, Brutus had married her sister, Ann .

 

Brutus Clay had only one daughter named Martha.  She had a son named Nassie.

 

Brutus Clay died in 1878.

 

 

DAVID

 

May 27, 1956   By Rebecca Miller  Herald Leader Correspondent

 

In Bourbon County, KY near Shawhan, in a valley in a bend of the Licking River stands an old field-stone house, built in 1802, which is the ancestral home of one branch of the David family.

 

On the same farm nearby is an old log house, built by William David, a first settler.  In a  field adjoining the house  is the old family burying ground.  A field stone marker with this inscription rudely done and almost worn away was found with this inscription: W.D.-B 1700 ĖD 1774  This was the marker for the grave of the father of  the William David who built the stone house, and he was buried there before the Revolutionary War.

 

William David II  willed this land in 1819 to his son, Henry David, who in turn willed it to his son, John David.  At John Davidís death, his daughter, Elizabeth David Patton, inherited a part of this farm, and in later years, Elizabeth and her husband David Ballengall Patton, aquired the rest of the place. 

 

MCCKENZIE/METCALFE/EWALT/HEDGES/EWALT/MORIN/ROWE/STAMPS/DAVIS

 

June 8 1969  by Bettye Lee Mastin

 

Walnut Lea, home on Georgetown Road in Bourbon County.  At this time these things were in this home of Mr. and Mrs. McKenzie.  There was a  leather bound journal and a fleur-de-lis that was used by John Metcalfe, Yorkshire graduate of Cambridge who came to Virginia in 1715.  Precious in the days when paper was scarce, the ledger later belonged to Metcalfe's grandson who built the McKenzie home.  A quilt in the house was made by Elizabeth Ewalt Hedges made during the War Between the States.  Also in the house is a tiny cradle made in late 1840's or early 1850's by another ancestor Henry Rowe, born in Holland in 1770. 

 

Walnut Lea was thought to have been named for the avenue of walnuts that once led back from the road and for Walnut Branch Church in Fauquier Co. Va home of the builder's ancestors.

 

Walnut Lea has been in the McKenzie family since 1787 when it was bought by James Morin first cousin of Gov. Thomas Metcalfe. 

 James' wife Jane may have been a bride in the seige of Bryan Station. They had 5 children.

After his death his widow married William Stamps Jr. They had 10 children.  One of the Stamps boys, William like his father and grandfather married Lucinda Davis, sister of the Confederate President Jefferson Davis.  Jane Morin Stamps died in 1838 five years after the curious death of one of her oldest Stamps children.  Ann Stamps Martin was 41, the wife of a Paris attorney and the mother of seven children.  Her house still stands in downtown Paris not far in 1833 from stagnant ponds that may have contributed to local virulence of that dread year of cholera.  Frightened by the epidemic, Mrs. Martin fled home to her parents' household, only to die that night.  Hastily buried that very night, she lies in a cemetery at the left of the house, the victim of cholera-perhaps-or of a heat attack brought on by fear and the haste of her her flight.  The family was never sure of his cause. 

 

William Stamps, Jr lived until 1855. A  granddaughter  Elizabeth Ewalt Hedges bought out the other heirs in 1856.

 

MILLER

March 22, 1966  Bettye Lee Mastin  Herald Leader Lexington, KY

 

Elizabeth J. Goodloe Miller, widow of John Miller, a general in the National Guard who was fatally wounded as he tried to rally a disorganized regiment of the Union Calvary in what was to prove a Confederate victory, the Battle of Richmond, KY.  General Miller lived for a week after a ball entered his left breast, tore out a lung and passed out his back.  The war and his death brought financial reverses.  Mrs.  Miller moved to Paris where she and her daughters opened a girls school. 

 

The son of Virginians who settled in Madison County at the end of the 18th century, General Miller and his wife lived at "Elmwood" in Richmond where he was a dress goods merchant prominent in county and state affairs. 

 

 

Patterson/Lindsay

 

May 28, 1939- not sure what paper found in Bourbon Scrapbooks-

 

Colonel Patterson came to KY in 1775 when he was only 21 years old.  He was from PA.

 

Authorities think he built the first cabin in KY in what is now Fayette County.

 

In 1780 Robert Patterson returned to PA to marry his betrothed  Elizabeth Lindsay. They had a daughter named Catherine.

 

Rogers

March 20, 1960 by Bettye Lee Mastin -Herald Leader

 

William Rogers father of Benjamin Rogers

 

William Rogers first clerk under Barton Stone at Cane Ridge Meeting House.

 

Daughter Annie married July 27, 1853.  Groom James Thomas

 

Ginger - A slave

 

Uncle Ike-probably a slave by the way the article reads.

 

William had a daughter in law  - Mary E.

 

William had a son   B.F.

 

 

Talbott/Keiningham/Tubman/McClure/Hinton

August 28, 1966 clipping from Herald Leader   ( Lexington Ky Paper) by Bettye Lee Mastin

 

This article is mainly discussing a house in Paris on 504 Vine St.  I have picked the genealogy out of it.

 

Thomas Talbott a Maryland native who settled in Hampshire County VA before coming to Bourbon County.  He was one of five pioneer families, none of them related, with the same last name.  His son Aquila built the famed spire of the Bourbon County courthouse.

 

The Talbots sold this home about 1840 to Mr. and Mrs. Richard Keiningham.  Mrs. Keiningham was Louisa Thomas, a member of a prominent Frankfort family.  Her husband and his brother Benjamin were English merchants who opened a grocery and early business in Paris.

 

After Richard Keiningham's death, his widow and her widowed sister, Mrs. Emily Tubman used the home as a summer residence.  Twice each year they went by carriage to ? from August GA, a journey made more difficult by the ladies opinion of correct deportment.  Throughout the long trip neither lady would allow her spine to come in contact with the back of the carriage seat.  The driver of the carriage was one of Mrs. Tubman's slaves.  Freed and sent to Liberia during the colonization of that country, he became the ancestor of it's present of its present chief official Pres.  William V. S. Tubman. 

 

The house was not left empty during the winter.  A neighbor boy, James McClure lived in it and kept an eye on the widows famed flower gardens.  After Mrs. Keiningham's death in 1873 the property was bought by McClure, an official of the city's First National Bank.  Later the house passed to the McClures daughter, Mrs. C Oakford Hinton, wife of a public spirtited citizen who was a son of the famed Paris jeweler.

 

THOMASON/SCOTT 

 

October 4, 1964  by Bettye Lee Mastin

 

Settled in 1785, the Bourbon County farm of Mr. and Mrs. Emerson Thomason has been owned by two families during itís 175 year old history.   The farm was bough in 1893 by W.A. Thomason and his wife, the former Ella Boone Burris.  Now called Glen Echo, it was earlier known as the old James Scott home.  

 

The farm was first settled by James Scottís grandfather, William Scott.  Scott and his family came down the Ohio River in 1778.  Indians attacked the flat boats, and goods and the family Bible were washed away before the group landed at Corn Island near Louisville.  Indians drove the Scotts inland where they stayed awhile at Fort Harrod.  Scott first located on 1,000 acres along Flat Creek in what is now Bath County, then settled on the Bourbon County farm where he died about 1804.   He had a son named Robert.

 

Robertís son, James was born on the farm in 1802 and was still living in 1883.  James married Emeline P. Offutt in 1853 and they had 3 children.

 

TODD

Monday October 8, 1956  ( not sure what paper - this was cut out )

 

Mary Todd, wife of Rev. Todd.  She was born in Paris, Jan 13, 1800 and was a daughter of the Rev. John Todd of Providence Church VA.  The Rev Andrew Todd was a pastor of Hopewell Presbyterian Church from 1824.

 

The Kentuckian-Citizen - August 2, 1945

Sixty Years Ago Today July 8, 1885

 

Mrs. Henry Giltner is living in this county near Hutchinson, on the place that was settled by hers deceased descendants great grandfather over 100 years ago.

 

Twenty three years ago the 4th of July at Green River Bridge, Ky., Major Thomas Y. Brent and Those. Jeff Current of Bourbon, were killed, as was Col.  Chenault and other Confederates.  The next day at Lebanon, Col C.S. Hanson were captured.

 

John S. Vimont, though now the oldest male citizen of Millersburg is superintending the building of his new brick house, and is as active and lively as he was in his younger days.

 

The cradle in which the baby of Walter McCann is being rocked has been used by 22 babies.  It was made 52 years for Charles McCann by  his father, the late James McCann, who was a cabinet maker at that time.

 

Willis W. Field and Mrs. Rita T. Burke were married at the residence of the bride in Versailles Wed night.  Mrs. Burke is the sister of Mrs. R. T. Hart and Shelby Tevis, and grand-daughter of Gov. Shelby. 

 

 

 

 

© 2005-2010 Bourbon County Genealogical Society

eXTReMe Trackern