Early Doctors of Campbell County
 


 

Most of the following information comes from material researched by Dr. Alvin C Poweleit.  Other material comes from newspaper research, death certificates and biographical books.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dr. Peter Abbot practiced in Campbell County as early as 1806.  He died in 1832 of the cholera.

Dr. Albert Lucian Abbott was born 17 July 1867 in Illinois, the son of John C and Emily Abbott. He graduated from the American Medical College in Indianapolis in 1897.  He practiced in Newport in 1900 on the west side of Patterson Street near 10th.  He died 24 Apr 1944 in Covington and was buried in the Highland Cemetery.

Dr. Richard Allison practiced in Campbell County in 1809.

Dr. William Wesley Anderson was born 9 Oct 1866 in Sunman Indiana, and graduated from the Medical College of Ohio in 1893 and practiced in Newport at 218 West Sixth Street; later at 231 East Sixth Street.  He served in the Medical Corp of the United States Army during WWI; earned the rank of Major.  He was awarded a Fellowship in the American Medical Association.  In 1920 he was elected president of the Kentucky State Medical Association. Dr. Anderson died 1 Apr 1946 in Dayton Ky. and was buried in Evergreen.

Dr. Frank Ashcraft practiced in Carthage and died there in December 1879 of brain fever.

Dr. Percival L Bacchus was born in 1902 and graduated from McHarry Medical College in Nashville, Tennessee, in 1922. He was one of two African American doctors to practice in Newport as early as 1938 at 341 Central Avenue.

Dr, Luther Bach was born in Breathitt Co Kentucky, on October 19, 1891, the son of Hiram D and Mary Jane Bach.  He graduated from the University of Louisville School of Medicine in 1915. After serving in WWI, he was practicing in the Finance Building at 405 York Street in Newport.  He taught at Speers Memorial Hospital and was an advisor to the St. Luke Hospital.  He died in Florence KY 28 Nov 1953  and was buried in Walton KY.

Dr. Joseph J Back was born 19 Jan 1879 in Ohio, the son of Joseph J & Frances (Droppleman) and graduated from the Medical College of Ohio in 1902. Dr. Back practiced in Newport as early as 1910 at the southeast corner of Ninth and Washington.  He died at his home in Newport 9 June 1918 of tuberculosis and was buried in St Stephens Cemetery .

Dr. Elmore Bernard Backsman was born 25 July 1882 in Newport, the son of Henry Backsman and Rose Mattenheimer. He graduated from the Miami Medical College in 1911.  He served in the United States Army Medical Corp in WWI.  He then opened his practice in Newport on Washington Av.  He specialized in pediatrics.  He died in Cold Spring 29 Nov 1952, and was buried in St Stephens Cemetery.

Dr. James A Baker  was a farmer, physician and surgeon in Grants Lick.  He was born March 27, 1814 in Campbell County and received his diploma from the State Board of Health on October 16, 1897.  He had been engaged in the practice of medicine for 55 years before receiving his diploma. He was very proud and was never known to wear a colored shirt and had saddlebags to carry medicine in. He died April 3, 1903 in Alexandria.

Dr. Clement Clay Barbour came from Virginia to Newport in 1882 and practiced at 128 Jefferson (Sixth) Street for eight years.  He died in 1892 at the age of 52.

Dr. John Hamilton Barker was born 29 Sep 1851 in Lexington, Kentucky, the son of John Barker and --- Smith. He graduated from the Medical College of Ohio in 1877 and practiced in Newport.  In 1890 he was at 54 Berry Ave in Bellevue. He died 20 Apr 1920 in Bellevue and was buried in Spring Grove Cemetery in Cincinnati.

Dr. Virgil Frank Barker was born 11 Sep 1878 in Newport, the son of Frank S Barker and Susan Root.  He graduated from the Medical College of Ohio in 1900 and practiced in Newport at the corner of Sixth and Park Avenue.  He died 9 Jan 1945.

Dr. Charles Barnes was born in Virgil Courtland Co. New York the son of Rebecca and Samuel Barnes. He practiced in Newport as a physician and dentist until he died October 29, 1854 at the age of 50.

Dr. James Barnsfather was born in Banff, Scotland in 1838 and came to this county in 1866; graduated from Miami and Cincinnati Medical College in 1873.  He opened a practice in both Cincinnati and Dayton, Kentucky.  He died July 19, 1903 at his home in Dayton.

Dr. John Thomas Batte was born in Claysville, Harrison Co Ky. 8 Aug 1884, the son of Richard C Batte and Mollie E Kiner. He graduated from the Medical College of Ohio in 1906.  In 1920 he was practicing at Third and Washington in Newport.  He died 8 Sep 1946 in Somerset KY and was buried in Ludlow.

Dr. E B Bayliss was practicing at 119 Isabella Street in Newport in 1888.

Dr. John S Beck practiced at Madison and York in Newport in 1866.

Dr. A L Beckett was born in 1882 and graduated from the Hospital College of Medicine at Louisville in 1907.  He served at Longview Hospital in 1925 and had a practice at 433 4th Avenue in Dayton  He also served Grants Lick, and Butler in Pendleton County.

Dr. John Bennett was located at York Street near the courthouse in Newport in 1826 and 1834.

Dr. L E Bennett practiced in Newport where he died October 1, 1852. He was born in Augusta, Bracken Co. KY the son of John Bennett and was 50 years old when he died.

Dr. Sidney L Bennett practiced in Newport as early as 1875 at 156 Bellevue and was at 734 York Street in 1895.

Dr. Otto Bergmeyer was born in Greenup Co KY 4 Jan 1888, the son of Nicholas Bergmeyer and Louisa Mauntel. He graduated from the Eclectic Medical School in 1916.  He served in the Medical Corp in WWI and practiced in Newport.  He died in Cincinnati November 24, 1919.

Dr. Shaler Berry was the son of Congressman Albert Berry and Anna Shaler.  He was born in 6 June 1869 in Newport and graduated from the Medical School of Ohio in 1900; served as Major in the Medical Corps in France in WWI. and practiced at 12 East 3rd Street in Newport.  Later he served as a member of the House of Representatives. He died 1 Mar 1928 in Ft Thomas and was buried in Evergreen Cemetery section 20 lot 4-B.

Dr. Robert Lincoln Blitz was born January 23, 1902 in Felicity Ohio, migrated to Newport with his parents as an infant; graduated from the Medical College of the University of Cincinnati in 1926.  He practiced in Newport from 1938 specializing in pediatrics until his death March 27, 1954.

Dr. Stuart G Biltz was born July 11, 1900 in Newport graduated from the University of Cincinnati College of Medicine in 1927, started his practice in Newport in 1938, served in WWII in the Medical Corp, and died in Ft. Thomas in 1971.

Dr. Martin H Bleiweiss was born in 1870 and graduated from the Southwestern Homeopathic Medical College in Louisville in 1901.  He practiced at 210 West 5th Street in Newport.

Dr. Douglas Samuel Bonar was a native of Davis County, Iowa born 15 Jan 1859, the son of William L and Mary E (Penny) Bonar.  In 1861 the family moved to Pendleton County where his father was a teacher. He entered the School of Medicine at Louisville, graduating in 1886.  In 1887 he practiced one year at Butler and then for 15 years at California, Kentucky.  In 1903 he opened his office in Newport.  He was a physician for the Chesapeake and Ohio Railway Company when the line was constructed. He died 16 Apr 1942 and was buried in Grandview Cemetery.

Dr. James Bonar, a brother to Douglas S Bonar, he practiced in the rural districts of Pendleton and Campbell Counties, later left for Texas.

Dr. Benjamin Y Boyd was born in 20 Sep 1806 in Westmoreland Co Pennsylvania, the son of Benjamin Boyd and Annis Findley. He practiced in Campbell County as early as 1841 and had a practice in Newport in 1849.  He was married to Ellen Jones and died 13 May 1867 in Cincinnati.  He was buried in Evergreen Cemetery.

Dr. John Blackburn was born in 1778 in Pennsylvania, came to Cincinnati in 1805 and in 1809 moved to Campbell County where he became a scientific farmer.  He died in Indiana in 1835.  He was one of the most scholarly of the early physicians although he had no degree in medicine.

Dr. William Henry Brannock was born in 1857 in Harrison Co KY graduated from the Cincinnati College of Medicine and Surgery on February 26, 1889.  He registered as a physician in Campbell County September 18, 1895. He died in September 1897 in New Richmond KY and was buried in Falmouth.

Dr. Frank Ellworth Bratt was born 26 Oct 1867 in Newport, the son of Geo W and Cornelia.  He practiced in Campbell Co and in Cincinnati.  He died 20 Aug 1911 in Newport and was buried in Evergreen Cemetery.

Dr. George Richard Bray was born 25 Nov 1863 at Ft. Recovery Ohio, the son of Job Bray and Cecelia Roberts.  He graduated from the Medical College of Ohio in 1905 and practiced in Dayton, Kentucky until 1915.  He died in Gibson, Mercer Co Oh 21 Aug 1916 at the age of 52.

Dr. Earl M Britenburg was born November 20, 1893 in Van Wert County, Ohio, graduated from the Cincinnati College of Medicine in 1920 and practiced in Dayton. He died 25 Dec 1981 in Ft Thomas.

Dr. D S Brown was born in 1844 in Morgan Co. Kentucky, graduated from Cincinnati College of Medicine on March 2, 1881 and practiced in Campbell County.

Dr. George W Brown was born 19 Nov 1869 in Newport, the son of Paris C Brown and Margaret E Cummings. He graduated from Eclectic Medical School in 1890 and was practicing in Newport at York Street by 1900.  He was the surgeon for Andrews Steel Plant and Health Officer of Newport in 1921. He died 3 June 1961 in Newport and was buried in Evergreen.

Dr. James A Brown was born in 1836 in Morgan Co. and registered as a physician in Campbell County September 16, 1892 stating that he had "26 years of continuous practice in the State of Kentucky".

Dr. Edgar Clough Buck was born in Fredonia New York 1 Jan 1870, the son of Jirah Dewey Buck and Melissa Clough.  He graduated from Pulte Medical College in 1891, started his practice in Newport in 1938 at 4th and York.  He died 12 Feb 1949 in Dayton at Speers Hospital and was cremated.

Dr. John Burch practiced in Newport at 1 West 13th as early as 1898.

Dr. Edward J Buten was born in 1882 and graduated from the Eclectic Medical School in 1907. He began practice in Newport in 1910 and continued for over 40 years. He died 22 June 1957.

Dr. James Asher Caldwell was born March 23, 1871 in Campbell Co, the son of James Caldwell and Mary Jane Stillwell.  He graduated in 1901 from the Medical College of Ohio. He served in the medical field during WWI. He first practiced at Peach Grove 1901-1912; in Bellevue in 1926  and later at Southgate where he lived for many years.  He was a member of the Campbell County Board of Health and a trustee on the staff of Speers Hospital. He died 26 Feb 1946 at Speers Hospital in Dayton and was buried in Evergreen Cemetery.

Dr. John Hadley Caldwell was born January 23, 1879 in Campbell County and graduated from the University of Cincinnati in 1906. He practiced in Newport by 1910. He became an instructor in gynecology and obstetrics and performed many surgeries in homes of patients in the county. He died in Kenton Co 22 Oct 1957.

Dr. Milton B Caldwell practiced in Newport at 35 East 8th Street for one year.

Dr. Robert Carothers was born in 1864 in Ft. Thomas, graduated from the Medical College of Ohio in 1890 and interned at the Veterans Hospital in Dayton, Ohio.  He started his practice in Newport in 1890 at 118 East 5th Street. He was appointed coroner in Campbell County by the sheriff at the time of the Pearl Bryan murder.  He performed the autopsy on the headless body of Pearl Bryan, and testified in court in 1896.  He practiced at Speers Memorial Hospital for years. He died in 1954.

Dr. Paul Carrington practiced in Newport at 130 Overton Street in 1890.

Dr. Archibald W Cassidy graduated from the Miami Medical College in 1890 and practiced at 129 Division Street in Bellevue.

Dr. R S Chambers practiced in Newport at 248 Monmouth Street in 1880.

Dr. Walter S Christopher was born in 1859 in Newport and graduated in 1883 from the Medical College in Ohio.  He died in 1905.

Dr. Frank A Clark was born in Covington Ky. 25 Dec 1848, but was reared in Newport. He was the son of Frank A Clark and Mary Caldwell.  He graduated from the Eclectic Medical College of Cincinnati.  He practiced medicine at Newport for 35 years.  For 15 years he was a jail physician and Jackson and Walling, who were implicated in the murder case of Pearl Bryan were under his care.  In 1896 he said Newport was in a bad condition to care for sick people.  The only hospital in the city was the Jail Hospital and was abolished by that time. He died 24 Oct 1911 in Newport and was buried in Evergreen Cemetery.

Dr. George W Clark was born in 1851 in Campbell County and graduated from the Eclectic Medical School June 4, 1889 and registered to practice in Campbell County September 18, 1889. He died 3 June 1891 in Ross and was buried at 12 Mile Cemetery.

Dr. Coleman practiced in Campbell County in 1830.

Dr. William James Coleman was born 29 June 1884 in Aberdeen Miss. the son of Joseph A Coleman and Rosaltha M Simms.  He graduated from medical school in 1909 and practiced in Newport.  He died in Memphis Tennessee 13 Nov 1945.

Dr. John L Collins was a 1st Lt. stationed at Ft. Thomas during WWI and practiced there until he was transferred.

Dr. C H Conner practiced in Newport in 1900 at 929 York Street.

Dr. Thomas J Connolly practiced in Newport at 523 Isabella Street in 1920.

Dr. A J Crance graduated from the Eclectic Medical School June 7, 1881.  He registered as a physician in Alexandria on October 3, 1893.

Dr. Cranmore practiced in Campbell County in 1822.

Dr. Clay Crawford was born 15 Sep 1888 and graduated from Harvard Medical School.  He was an Army doctor during WWI and in 1920 was practicing on Ft. Thomas Av. He died in Ft. Thomas 4 Oct 1973.

Dr. James W Crowley was born 22 Aug 1851 in New York City, the son of Patrick Crowley and graduated from the Cincinnati College of Medicine and Surgery in 1896.  In 1900 he was practicing at 313 Monmouth Street in Newport.  He died 9 May 1917 in Newport and was buried in Evergreen Cemetery.

Dr. Earl M Cutler was a Captain stationed at Ft. Thomas during WWI and practiced there until he was transferred.

Dr. J W Daily practiced at 235 Madison in Newport in 1875.

Dr. Augustus S Dameron was born November 8, 1834 in Belmont in Campbell County to Dr. Edward P and Maria G (Kennedy) Dameron.  He graduated from the Medical College of Ohio in 1861 and practiced at Cold Spring for six years before moving to Dayton.  He practiced on the north side of Jefferson between Berry and Dayton Avenues.  He went back to school and graduated from the Medical College of Ohio in 1883. He died 3 Apr 1890 in Campbell Co and was buried at Evergreen.

Dr. Edward P Dameron was born August 10, 1802 and practiced in Belmont in Campbell County as early as 1826.  He died April 15, 1862.

Dr. R A Dameron was born 1850 in Campbell Co Kentucky, the son of E P Dameron and was practicing at 197 Bellevue Street in Newport in 1875 and in 1889 at 58 Monmouth Street. He died 9 Apr 1889 in Newport and was buried in Evergreen Cemetery.

Dr. Frederick A Davis graduated from the Medical College in Alabama in 1861.  During the Civil War he served as a surgeon for the United State Volunteers.  He was in Newport as early as 1875 practicing at 144 York Street. He was the District Physician for 16 years and was elected to office of coroner in 1890 until 1895. He died at Shepard Ohio 25 June 1903 and was buried at Evergreen.

Dr. H O Davis practiced in Newport at 122 1/2 Madison Street in 1886.

Dr. Jeptha Dickey Davis was born in 1866, graduated from the Medical College of Ohio in 1890 and practiced at Manor Lane and Ft. Thomas Av in 1920.  He died in 1938 in Coral Gables Florida.

Dr. Joel Henry Decourcy was born 9 Jan 1817 in Anderson Township, Preble Co Oh, the son of William Decourcy and Martha Frances Spilman.  He came back to Campbell Co as a child and became a practicing doctor.  He died 22 Aug 1856 in Cold Spring and was buried in the Asbury Methodist Church Cemetery.

Dr. James Murnan Digby was born 15 Jan 1867 in Melbourne, the son of James S Digby and Sarah Murnan.  He graduated from Medical College of Ohio March 7, 1889. He was a pioneer Newport doctor, who was practicing by 1910.  He also served as county coroner from 1906-1918 and commissioner. He married Edith Hoyle and died 17 Jan 1937 in Newport and was buried in Evergreen..

Dr. Charles Augustus Donnelly was born August 7 1886 in Newport, the son of Edward Lewis Donnelly and Evelyn Remme.  He graduated from the University of Cincinnati in 1908 and studied surgery under Dr. Joseph Ransohoff at Jewish Hospital.  Then he assisted Dr. Southgate in Ft. Thomas. He died October 3, 1960.

Dr. Joseph Lawrence Donnelly was born in Newport July 5 1894, the son of Edward Lewis Donnelly and Jessie Schoenberger. He received his AB in Chemistry in 1917, AM in Chemistry in 1919 and PhD in Chemistry and Biochemistry in 1921, his MB in Medicine in 1927 and his MD in Medicine in 1928 all from the University of Cincinnati.  He practiced in Ft. Thomas for 5 years, but devoted most of his life to medical research.  He served in both WWI and WWII.  He died 5 July 1975.

Dr. Evans Dozier practiced in Campbell County in 1816. He was deceased by November of 1821.

Dr. James A Duckworth was born 26 Feb 1854 in England, the son of Nicholas & Lucinda Ann (Eyer). He practiced in Ft Thomas and died 22 Nov 1916 in Ft Thomas.  He was buried in Evergreen Cemetery.

Dr. T S Dunham practiced in Bellevue as early as 1890 at 108 Van Voast Avenue.

Dr. William K Dyers was a Captain at Ft. Thomas during WWI and practiced there until he was transferred.

Dr. Adam David Echert was born 29 Sep 1893 in Newport, the son of Harry and Barbara Echert. He served in the Medical Corps in WWI and was a general practitioner in Newport in 1920.  He also served as boat physician on the Delta Queen.  He died 3 Dec 1972 in Newark Ohio.

Dr. Lot Edwards practiced in Campbell County in 1828.

Dr. Frank Ellsworth graduated from the Medical College of Ohio in 1896 and practiced in Newport.  He died in 1911.

Dr. Edward Lloyd Everly was born 26 Jan 1891 in Ohio to John F and Clara.  He became a dentist and worked in the Bellevue area. He died 23 Jan 1984 at the Mercy Hospital in Hamilton Co Oh.

Dr. August F Fath was born in 1910 and graduated from University of Cincinnati College of Medicine in 1935. He practiced at 25 North Ft. Thomas Avenue in Ft. Thomas.

Dr. Frederick William Fischbach was born in Waverly, Ohio October 21, 1863.  He graduated from Pulte Medical College in 1882.  He then entered general practice in Newport at 728 York Street, and in 1900 moved to 4th and Washington.  In 1903 he studied Pediatrics in Europe. He died in November 4 1929.

Dr. Howard Philip Fischbach, Sr. was the son of Frederick William, and graduated from Pulte Medical College in 1906 and practiced with his father until 1911.  Then he studied gynecology and moved to Cincinnati where he died in 1951.

Dr. Victor W Fischbach was the youngest son of Dr. Frederick William Fischbach and born in Newport April 17, 1894.  He graduated from the University of Cincinnati in 1920 and practiced in Cincinnati.

Dr. Harry Flax was born in 1922, graduated from the University of Cincinnati College of Medicine in 1946 and was a radiologist at Speers Memorial Hospital. He died in 1952.

Dr. William Adolphus Foertmeyer was born January 10, 1888, graduated from the University of Cincinnati in 1914, and the Army Medical School in 1917. After retiring from the army he practiced in Bellevue.  He died 20 Nov 1961 in Campbell Co.

Dr. Joseph Forbiann practiced at 54 Central in Newport in 1888.

Dr. J Q A practiced as early as 1854 in Campbell County and was a coroner for the county. By 1856 he was in Newport.

Dr. T Foster practiced in Newport in 1860 at York and Ringgold.

Dr. John A Francis was born in Virginia 2 May 1845, the son of William Francis and Letittia Martin. He practiced in Alexandria. He died 30 Sep 1911 in Covington and was buried in the Alexandria Cemetery..

Dr. Oscar August Frickman was born in 1868 in Newport and graduated from the Ohio Medical College of Cincinnati April 9, 1896 and began his practice at 720 Central Avenue in Newport.  His visits were made by horse and buggy. He died 27 June 1955 in Campbell Co.

Dr. Oscar William Frickman son of August, was born August 22, 1899 in Newport served in WWI and graduated from the Medical College of the University of Cincinnati in 1923.  His interest was industrial surgery and he was Division Surgeon for the C&O Railroad Co. and the Medical Director of the Andrews Steel Corporation and the Interlake Steel Corporation at Newport. He died 7 Feb 1966 in Campbell Co.

Dr. Louis M Fultz graduated from the Eclectic Medical Institute in 1937 and was a resident of Speers Memorial Hospital in 1938.  He died in 1966.

Dr. John M Gabbey registered in Alexandria as a physician in April 1898.

Dr. H B Gale practiced in Campbell County in 1832.

Dr. Sherwood P Garrison was born March 10, 1881 in Cheviot Ohio, the son of Emery M Garrison and Mary Penny.  He interned at Speers Memorial Hospital in 1905-06 and was the first doctor to use a fluoroscope at Speers. He practiced in Dayton, Bellevue and Ft. Thomas and was Chairman of the Board of Trustees of Speers Hospital.  He died 27 Jan 1949 in Dayton Ky. and was buried in Evergreen Cemetery..

Dr. Heinrich Gaukel practiced medicine in Newport in the 1860s and 1870s.

Dr. William John Gerding was born 3 Jan 1874 in Newport and graduated from the Ohio College of Medicine in 1897. He opened an office at 312 W 6th Street in Newport.  In 1909 he was on the staff of St. Elizabeth Hospital. He also served 14 years as a member of the Kentucky House of Representatives and Senate.  He was a registered pharmacist and died 22 Jan 1959 in Covington and was buried in Evergreen Cemetery.

Dr. Harry Gieskemeyer was born 26 Mar 1881 in Bellevue, the son of Frederick and Anna (Schmess) He was a veterinarian.  He died 7 Feb 1934 in Ft Thomas and was buried in St Stephen Cemetery.

Dr. Paul Gillespie was born 29 Mar 1871 in Newport, the son of Arthur J and Frances.  He graduated from the Miami Medical College in Cincinnati in 1897 and died in an auto accident 15 Dec 1919 in Cincinnati.  He was buried in Evergreen Cemetery.

Dr. William R Gillespie registered as a physician in Campbell County in February 1894.

Dr. Andrew E Gosney was born 1860 in Campbell County and graduated from the Louisville Medical College March 13, 1894 and practiced in Campbell County. He died in 1898 in Grants Lick and was buried in the Pleasant Ridge Baptist Cemetery.

Dr. William Gosney was an early physician at Grant's Lick; also a Baptist minister. He died in 1856.

Dr. Isaac P Gould was born 28 Apr 1871 in Owensville KY, the son of Isaac P Gould and Sarah Martin. He practiced in Bellevue in 1890 and graduated from Medical College of Ohio in 1891.  He died October 3, 1921 in Bellevue at the age of 50 and was buried in the Highland Cemetery in Covington.

Dr. Robert Theodore Gould graduated from the Miami Medical School in 1906 and practiced in Bellevue.  He died 11 June 1908 in Red Lodge Montana at the age of 23.

Dr. E L Grant was born in 1816 in Campbell County, the son of William and Mary Graves Grant.  He graduated at Augusta College in 1839 and at Louisville Medical College in 1841.  He practiced in Boone, Campbell, Kenton, and Pendleton Counties.

Dr. John H Grant registered as a physician in Campbell County August 16, 1895.

Dr. N Green graduated from Eclectic Medical College and practiced in Alexandria.

Dr. William K Griffin practiced in Campbell County as early as September 23, 1852.

Dr. Samuel Otis Griggs was born in 1873 in Ft. Thomas and graduated from the Medical College of Ohio in 1896. He served in Newport, Bellevue and Dayton and as a Health Officer of Dayton. He died April 1 1955.

Dr. Henry Charles Gunkel was born September 5, 1816 in Germany and graduated in medicine and surgery in the Berlin universities. He came to America and received another MD degree from the Cincinnati Eclectic Medical College. As early as 1867 he was practicing on Jefferson Street in Newport and practiced until his death on May 25, 1900. (according to the Evergreen cemetery records, Dr. Gunkel was born 5 Sep 1925, the son of Henry & Maria M and died 24 May 1909 in Newport and was buried in Evergreen 27 May.

Dr. John H Gunkel practiced as early as 1860 on Monmouth Street at Jefferson and Mayo Street.

Dr. John R Gunkel practiced in Newport as early as 1860 at "The Old Grey Inn".

Dr. S A Hageman practiced in Newport at 289 Saratoga Street in 1890.

Dr. Marcus D Haley was born June 16, 1895 in Brooksville Kentucky and in 1926 graduated from the Vanderbilt Medical College.  He practiced at 600 East Third Street in Newport.  He died 25 July 1958 in Lexington KY.

Dr. A W Hamilton registered in Campbell County as a physician in October 1893.

Dr. E W Hamilton registered in Campbell County as a physician in April of 1895.

Dr. Roger A Haas was born September 10, 1933 in Ft. Thomas, graduated from the University of Cincinnati College of Medicine in 1959 and practiced in Newport.

Dr. Ernest Hausser was born 12 June 1835 in Germany and gained his medical education while there.  He and his wife Paula, immigrated to American in 1884 and settled in Alexandria where he continued his practice.  He died 7 Mar 1901 and was buried in the Alexandria Cemetery.

Dr. Henry T Havlin was born Oct 1853 in Ohio, the son of Henry C Havlin and Margaret Bricker.  He was practicing as early as 1888 at 165 Jefferson in Bellevue and later at Jefferson and Dayton Avenue in Dayton.

Dr. Jacob Hawthorne practiced at 174 Taylor in Newport in 1886. He was born 9 Aug 1857 in Newport, the son of Jacob Hawthorne and Mary Southgate.  He died 4 June 1938 in Cold Spring and was buried in Evergreen Cemetery.

Dr. J Russ Haynes practiced in Newport at 26 Jefferson Street in 1861.

Dr. William H Heflin was born in 1870 and graduated from the Medical College of Ohio in 1894.  In 1910 he was at 11 East Fifth Street in Newport.

Dr. Charles Heintze practiced in Newport at 51 Jefferson Street in 1866.

Dr. Erwin G Heiselman was born on September 29, 1910 in Newport, graduated from the University of Cincinnati College of Medicine in 1935, interned at Speers Memorial Hospital and practiced in Newport.

Dr. Charles H Heller practiced in Campbell County as early as 1852.

Dr. August Helmbold was born 23 Feb 1862 in Germany, son of Gottlieb Helmbold and was practicing in 1882 in Newport.  He graduated from the Eclectic Medical College in 1887.  Later he became an alderman in Newport.  In 1911 he was named Mayor and remained so until he died July 9, 1918 in Newport and was buried in Cincinnati.  His third wife was Bertha Kathryn Pagan.

Dr. August Helmbold Jr. was born May 2, 1900 in Newport and graduated from the Eclectic Medical School in Cincinnati in 1928. He practiced in Newport by 1938; was mayor of Newport under the first Commission Form of Government. He was also elected and served as coroner. He died 14 May 1947 and was buried in Evergreen.

Dr. J B Helmbold practiced at 613 Central Avenue in Newport in 1897.

Dr. Richard Henning practiced at 116 Bellevue in Newport in 1866.

Dr. Ralph Heringhaus was born on April 13, 1904 in Bellevue, graduated from the Eclectic Medical School in 1935, interned at Speers Memorial Hospital and practiced in Bellevue.

Dr. Edward Hermann was born in Newport June 10, 1879, the son of Joseph and Caroline Blesch Hermann.  He graduated Miami Medical College in Cincinnati in 1903, and practiced in Newport as a general medical and surgical physician.  He served on the staff of Speers, Booth and St. Elizabeth Hospitals, was a member of the Medical Advisory Board during WWI.  He died December 10, 1959.

Dr. George Joseph Hermann Sr. was born July 10, 1873 in Newport the son of Joseph and Caroline (Blesch) Hermann.  He graduated from the Medical College of Ohio in 1891 and began his practice in Newport in 1895.  In 1903 he was on trial for obtaining money under false pretenses.  He purchased the first fluoroscopic x-ray machine in Northern Kentucky in 1914.  He died June 8, 1933.

Dr. Mathias Michael Higgins was born 24 Feb 1861 in North Vernon, Indiana, the son of William Mathias Higgins and Bridget Sullivan. He first practiced in Albuquerque NM from 1894 until 1913. He served in the Medical Corps in WWI, graduated from the Eclectic Medical School in 1918, devoted himself to general practice and served in the Venereal Disease Clinic at Newport. He died 4 Nov 1919 in Newport and was buried in the St Stephen Cemetery.

Dr. Wells Higgins began his medical career in 1868 in Campbell County.

Dr. Thomas Hinde was the first doctor in Campbell County to practice.  He came to Newport in 1799, married and died there September 28, 1828.

Dr. Otto Hodge practiced at Grants Lick 1910-1917.

Dr. Carl G Hoffman was born February 11, 1910 in Southgate, graduated from the Eclectic Medical School in 1936 and practiced in Newport.

Dr. John N Hohnstedt was born March 5, 1873, graduated from the Louisville Medical Department in 1908 and interned at Speers Memorial Hospital.. He practiced in Ft. Thomas in 1910 and as a physician for the C&O Railway Co. He died October 26, 1945.

Dr. William D Holtz was practicing in Campbell County in 1834.

Dr. Samuel Hopkins was born February 21, 1770 in Chester Co. Pennsylvania and practiced in Campbell County as early as 1809.  He died in Grants Lick March 7, 1855.

Dr. Charles Edward Horner was an African American born 1 Aug 1882 in Cumminsville Oh, the son of Charles D Horner and Rebecca D Minnes.  He graduated from Eclectic Medical College in Cincinnati in 1907, practiced in Newport and treated patients of both races. Dr. Horner died 11 Oct 1948 in Cincinnati.

Dr. Carl E Hostetter was born in 1862 in Tuppers Plains Ohio, graduated from the University of Louisville Medical College on March 1, 1889 and registered as a physician in Alexandria June 23, 1897.

Dr. John Francis Houston was born in Foster, Bracken County, Kentucky May 16, 1858, the son of William Pepper and Sarah W (Maxwell) Houston.  He graduated the Ohio Medical College in 1888, and practiced at Grants Lick and Alexandria. He was elected county treasure in 1908 and was a County Commissioner for a number of years.  He died February 21, 1936 in Alexandria.

Dr. A E Howe served in Grants Lick, but eventually moved his practice to Alexandria.

Dr. Shepherd Hubbard was practicing in Newport in 1874.

Dr. William T Huesing was born March 13, 1909, graduated from the University of Cincinnati College of Medicine in 1935, served in WWII, and practiced in Newport.  He died January 17, 1971.

Dr. Walter Brooks Hughes was born 15 Apr 1892 in Riverside Oh, the son of David Hughes and Alice Grice. He graduated from the Eclectic Medical School in 1914, served in WWI, practiced in Newport, was elected Coroner of Campbell County in 1918. He died February 6, 1931 in Newport and was buried in Spring Grove in Cincinnati.

Dr. J W Hull was born March 21, 1863 near Maysville KY to W W Hull and Belle Evans.  He came to Dayton in 1884, was a graduate of the Cincinnati College of Medicine and Surgery, and was on the staff of the Surgeon General of the Kentucky Division of Confederate Soldiers in 1897.

Dr. Jesse Phillip Hull registered as a physician in Campbell County October 1897.

Dr. Maurice Morris Hyman was born in 1902, graduated from the Eclectic Medical School in 1927 and practiced in Ft. Thomas.

Dr. Charles A Jeancon graduated from the Eclectic Medical School in 1879, practiced in Newport in 1889.

Dr. John Allard Jeancon was born in Cambray, France in 1831, attended school in Berlin, and graduated from the Royal College of Surgeons in London in 1854.  He immigrated to American where he was a Union surgeon from 1961 to 1865. He lived and practiced in Newport after the Civil War until his death in 1903.  In 1874 he was professor of Physiology.  In 1891 he was Professor of Genitourinary.  He wrote several books on diseases and served two terms as coroner. He died in 1903.

Dr. J E Jenkins practiced in Newport and was a trustee and member of Speers Hospital Staff.

Dr. James Oliver Jenkins was born in Cincinnati, August 8, 1851, graduated from the Medical College of Ohio in 1882, started his practice in Newport. He later practiced in a two room log cabin in Grants Lick and in 1903 was affiliated with the establishment of Speers Hospital and was on the Board of Directors. He died January 23, 1927.

Dr. William Johnson was born 9 Apr 1856 in Kentucky, the son of William and Catherine (Price). He was practicing in Newport at 153 Madison by 1889.  He died 20 Oct 1912 in Cincinnati and was buried in Evergreen Cemetery.

Dr. Silas N Johnston was born 25 Feb 1852 in Kentucky, the son of James Johnston and Marian Moores. He graduated from the University of Louisville School of Medicine in 1888 and practiced in Newport.  He died 23 Sep 1926 at St Elizabeth Hospital in Covington and was buried in Irvine KY.

Dr. Vernon B Jones graduated from the Kentucky School of Medicine at Louisville in 1907 and was practicing at 628 Sixth in Dayton in 1926.

Dr. Frederick W Katthoff registered as a physician in Campbell County in May 1898.

Dr. Eben W Keeney was born 8 June 1846 in Pennsylvania, the son of Fielding and Rebecca (Wood). He graduated from the Medical College of Ohio in 1870 and was practicing at 138 York Street in Newport in 1875. He practiced in Dayton for about fifty years and died 3 Dec 1919 at St Elizabeth Hospital in Covington and was buried in Evergreen.

Dr. Palmer Gumkee Keeney was born 27 Mar 1877 in Newport the son of Eben W Keeney.  In 1899 he graduated from the Medical College of Ohio and interned at Speers Memorial Hospital.  He practiced in Newport and Bellevue, served in WWI.  He died October 14, 1959.

Dr. Charles J Kehm was born in Baltimore, Maryland February 7, 1869, graduated from the Eclectic Medical College in 1896, then practiced in Newport and served as Health Officer in Newport. He died July 12, 1939.

Dr. William G Keith practiced on Fairfield Avenue in Dayton in 1880.

Dr. Thomas Henshaw Kelly was a Captain stationed at Ft. Thomas during WWI.

Dr. Frank E Kenney was born 9 June 1866 in Kentucky, the son of Joseph & Virginia (Williams). He graduated from the Pulte Medical College on March 18, 1894 and practiced in Campbell County.  He died 2 July 1916 in Mentor and was buried in Grandview. 

Dr. Garrett Powell Kenny was born 27 Apr 1882 in Owen Co Kentucky. He was the son of John & Pricilla (Fullilove) and practiced as a dentist in Newport.  He died 5 Apr 1921 in Newport and was buried in Evergreen.

Dr. I A Kerr worked in Newport and died 1 Oct 1884 and was buried in Evergreen.

Dr. Clement O Knight practiced in Newport on York Street as early as 1882.

Dr. Simon Pendleton Kramer was born Jan 1868 in Ohio, graduated from the Medical College of Ohio in 1888, and served in the Spanish-American War and WWI and the Ft Thomas Military Base.  He died 12 April 1940 and was buried in Arlington National Cemetery.

Dr. William Arnold Krieger was born 27 Dec 1887 in Newport, the son of Edward & Louise (Heil) graduated from the Louisville Medical Department in 1909 and practiced in Newport.  He served with the Medical Corps in WWI, did postgraduate work on bone surgery in Louisiana and taught ear, nose and throat to nurses at Speers Memorial.  He died 28 July 1951 in Ft Thomas and was buried in Evergreen Cemetery.

Dr. William H Krieger graduated from the American Eclectic Medical College in 1887, practiced in Dayton and died in March 1932 at the age of 85.

Dr. Bushrod F Laird was born in 1847, graduated from the Medical College of Ohio in 1874 and was practicing in Newport in 1910.

Dr. Robert J Lanham practiced at 173 Central Avenue in Newport in 1888.

Dr. E H Latham practiced at Fairfield and Dayton Avenues in Dayton in 1888.

Dr. Thomas Lindsey was appointed first coroner of Campbell County February 6, 1797.  He was born in Ireland brought his family to America in 1789.  In 1790 they came to Maysville Kentucky.  In 1794 he bargained for a farm of 320 from Major Leitch, was appointed Justice of the Peace when the county was created, was one of the first trustees of the Newport Seminary.  He died in 1818.

Dr. William J Linstaedt was born 30 July 1885 in Newport Ky. the son of James and Katharine (Ziegler) By 1920 he was licensed as an optometrist in Newport.  He continued his practice in Ft Thomas. He died 18 Mar 1968 in Highland Heights at Lakeside Place.  He was buried at Evergreen Cemetery.

Dr. Walter Edward List was born 14 June 1886 in Newport Ky. the son of William & Elizabeth (Flick) He worked at a Cincinnati Hosptial. He died 26 Oct 1940 at Jewish Hospital in Cincinnati and was buried at Evergreen Cemetery.

Dr. William George List was born 4 Feb 1876 in Cincinnati, the son of William & Elizabeth (Flick) By 1900 he was working as an assistant physician in Gallipolis Oh. By 1910 he had a general practice in Cincinnati serving many from Newport.  He died in Cincinnati 4 April 1947 and was buried at Evergreen Cemetery.

Dr. George Lipscomb was practicing in Campbell County as early as 1810 when he married Mary Mardis on 12 Apr.

Dr. Frank Elmer Locke was born 16 Apr 1860 in Portsmouth Oh, the son of Dr. Frederick John Locke & Sarah Glover.  He practiced in Newport and was the first Health Officer in Newport established in September 1896.  Since there was no office at that time, he operated out of Dr. John Todd's office. He died 28 Feb 1932 in Dayton KY and was buried in Evergreen Cemetery.

Dr. Frederick John Locke was born Dec 1830 in London England, the son of John Brown Locke and Nancy Ann Richards. He was educated at Christ College in London and graduated from Eclectic Medical Institute in Cincinnati in 1864. He settled in Newport in 1849 and enlisted in the Ohio Volunteer Infantry for the Civil War, was the city physician and member of the school board. In 1874 became professor of Materia Medica in Cincinnati.  He died September 11, 1903.

Dr. G A Long registered in Campbell County as a physician in October 1899 and practiced in Newport.

Dr. Claude Maddox of Pleasant Ridge practiced in the rural districts in Campbell and Pendleton.

Dr. J C Marr practiced on Taylor Street in Newport in 1866.

Dr. Robert W Maxedon was born 22 May 1841 in Indiana, the son of Robert Maxedon.  He practiced in Bellevue and died 16 Aug 1920 in Bellevue and was buried in Evergreen Aug 20.

Dr. Harry G Marxmiller practiced in Newport in 1889.  He graduated from the Medical College of Ohio in 1897 and registered as a physician in Campbell County in May 1897.

Dr. McDonald practiced in Campbell County and died by December 1846.

Dr. Stephen Johnson Meade of Ft. Thomas graduated from the Pulte Medical College in 1885.  He died March 15, 1933.

Dr. J J Menne was located in Cold Spring in 1883.

Dr. John G Meyer graduated from the Medical College of Ohio in 1897 and practiced at 210 Forest Avenue in Newport.

Dr. Francis Miller practiced in Newport at Ringgold and McArthur in 1866.

Dr. James Kennedy Molyneaux was born 27 May 1821 in Oxford Ohio and practiced in Campbell County as early as 1852.  He was married to Harriet E West and died 22 July 1896. He was buried in the Grandview Cemetery.

Dr. Thomas J Morgan was born in 7 Apr 1866 in England, and practiced in Cold Spring.  He died in 24 Aug 1934 in Newport and was buried in the Baptist Cemetery in Cold Spring.

Dr. J A Naber practiced in Southgate.

Dr. H Nelson practiced in Newport in 1860 on Bellevue Street.

Dr. Harry G Nelson was born in 1879, graduated from the Medical College of Ohio in 1906, and practiced at 206 Ft. Thomas Avenue in Ft. Thomas.

Dr. George Nestler practiced at 63 Walnut in Newport as early as 1867.

Dr. William A Noble was a Captain stationed at Ft. Thomas during WWI.

Dr. Edward Austin North was born at Cold Spring August 15, 1881, the son of David F and Mary E (Winters) North.  He graduated from Eclectic Medical Institute in 1906, opened his office in Newport in 1907. From June 1918 until January 1919 he served as medical officer in the Army.  He died August 8, 1932.

Dr. Joseph Donaphin Northcutt was born 6 Dec 1879 in Berlin, Bracken Co, Kentucky, the son of Charles and Elizabeth.  He registered as a physician in Campbell County in 1909 and died 22 Jan 1956 in Covington.

Dr. Albert John Nunnamaker was born 8 Sep 1885 in Jacksonville, Ohio, the son of Fred Nunnamaker and Ida Brelsford.  He graduated from the Eclectic Medical School in 1914, and by 1920 was practicing at 53 N. Ft. Thomas Avenue in Ft. Thomas. He died 26 Oct 1928 in Ft Thomas and was cremated.

Dr. Samuel Okrent was born in Russia December 2, 1888, graduated from the Cincinnati University Medical School, practiced in Cincinnati and Newport.  He was the first pediatrician in Newport and served in the Medical Corp in WWI.

Dr. William J O'Rourke was born in 1911, graduated from the University of Cincinnati College of Medicine in 1938, and practiced at 24 N. Ft. Thomas Avenue in Ft. Thomas, and in 1949 was practicing in Newport.

Dr. Edward B Orr was born in Campbell County July 27, 1848, the son of Dr. John and Maria (Spilman) Orr.  He was educated at Cold Spring and Danville College graduating in 1866.  He died in Alexandria May 22, 1878.

Dr. John Orr practiced in the Highlands and Alexandria by 1830. He was a native of Virginia born 14 Jan 1806 and died in Alexandra January 1, 1877.  He was buried in the Alexandria Cemetery.

Dr. Thomas S Orr was born in Campbell County July 27, 1848, the son of Dr. John and Maria (Spilman) Orr.  He was educated at Cold Spring and Danville College graduating in 1866.  He taught school for one year and then began the study of medicine. He graduated from the Ohio Medical College in 1871 and practiced in Newport for two years and then went to Alexandria.  He died December 7, 1896.

Dr. John H Parker graduated from the Medical College of Ohio in 1877 and practiced in Bellevue.  He died September 18, 1920.

Dr. Thomas H Payne registered in Campbell County as a physician in October 1893 and practiced in Dayton at W. Fairfield Avenue.

Dr. Perron practiced in Newport and on March 12, 1870 was a delegate to the Medical Convention in Baltimore, Maryland.

Dr. F T Phillips practiced at 812 Isabella in Newport in 1895.

Dr. Thomas F Phillips was born in Dublin Ireland where he graduated from the College of Surgeons in 1849.  He immigrated to Cincinnati and graduated from the Pulte Medical College in 1884.  By 1909 he was practicing at 705 York in Newport.  He died July 8, 1902.

Dr. Charles Taylor Phythian was born in 1861 in Frankfort Kentucky, the son of Dr. John Linton Phythian Sr. and Mary Belle Taylor.  He attended the U.S. Naval Academy and graduated from the Medical College of Ohio in 1883.  He practiced in Newport.  He died March 14, 1897.

Dr. John Linton Phythian Sr. was born in 1832 in Gloucestershire, England, the son of Dr. Charles Glover Phythian.  He read medicine under his father and graduated from the Medical College at Louisville.  He practiced with his father until his father's death in 1859.  During the Civil War, he had charge of Confederate and Federal Hospitals in Frankfort. In 1873 he settled in Newport.  He started the first Emergency Hospital in Newport in the early 1890s. He died February 12, 1896. (Note the census records state that Dr. Phythian was born in Pennsylvania)

Dr. John Linton Phythian Jr. was born 21 July 1859 in Frankfort Kentucky, the son of Dr. John Linton Phythian and Mary Belle Taylor. He received his ABS degree from Miami University and graduated form the Kentucky School of Medicine in 1891and began practicing in Newport.  He was a Health Officer from 1893 to 1897; President of the Board of Trustees of Speers from 1900 to 1906; surgeon for the L&N Railroad and for the Southern Covington & Cincinnati Railroad Co. He was a major in the Medical Corps during WWI.  At first he had his office in Newport with Frederick A Stiven Sr. and later on with Claude Youtsey.   He practiced medicine for more than fifty years and died April 3, 1950 at Speers Hospital in Dayton Kentucky and was buried in Evergreen.

Dr. Julius E Pinguely was a rural doctor in Grants Lick, Ross and Melbourne and was a well known home doctor.

Dr. George E Platts was born in Hamilton County Ohio, practiced there for a time as a doctor, but came to Bellevue where he became a well known druggist.

Dr. Lafayette C Poe was born 19 May 1847 in Augusta, Bracken Co, Kentucky, the son of William W Poe and Abigail Day.  He graduated from the Eclectic Medical School May 9, 1876, and served in Grants Lick, as well as Butler and Pendleton Counties as early as 1883. He died 13 Sep 1914 in Butler in Pendleton Co and was buried at the IOOF Cemetery in Butler.

Dr. Benjamin Knox Rachford Sr. of Alexandria practiced in the rural districts..

Dr. Benjamin Knox Rachford Jr. was born in Alexandria 28 Nov 1857, the son of Hugh Knox Rachford and Eliza Jean Kennedy Beall.  He graduated from the Medical College of Ohio in 1882. He created the Department of Pediatrics at the University of Cincinnati in 1901, the first one in the United States.  In 1909 he started the Babies Milk Fund Association to provide quality milk to the poor.  He died in Cincinnati 5 May 1929.

Dr. Hugh Knox Rachford was born 18 Aug 1815 in Campbell County and practiced in Alexandria as late as 1883 at which time his advertisement read "Tenders his Professional Services to suffering humanity."  He died 3 May 1891 and was buried in the Alexandria Cemetery.

Dr. Hugh Rachford practiced in Alexandria as early as 1813 and was coroner for Campbell County in 1828.

Dr. Louis Rademacher graduated from the Medical College of Ohio in 1880 and practiced at 345 Tibbatts Street in Newport.  He died April 12, 1901.

Dr. George Radmaher was a Newport physician.

Dr. David Yandell Ragan was born April 9, 1892, the son of Dr. George Warren Ragan and Effie Morrison Riggs. He graduated from the University of Louisville College of Medicine in 1920.  He practiced in Cold Spring and died April 9, 1960.

Dr. George Warren Ragan was born 19 Apr 1865 in Kenton Co Kentucky, the son of Eli Ragan and Sarah Elizabeth Carter.  He graduated from the University of Louisville Medical Department in 1891, practiced in Cold Spring and served as a State Senator for eight years.  He died September 27, 1937 in Cold Spring and was buried in the Independence Kentucky cemetery.

Dr. Everett L Rardon practiced in Newport at 15 Monmouth Street in 1886.

Dr. Henry L Raymond practiced at the Newport Barracks in 1882.

Dr. P L Reddick practiced in Newport in 1856.

Dr. Dudley Sharpe Reynolds was born 31 Aug 1842 in Bowling Green Kentucky, the son of Thomas Reynolds and Mary Nichols.  He graduated from the University of Louisville Medical School in 1868, the Hospital College of Medicine in Louisville and the Central University of Kentucky in 1901.  He practiced in Newport on eye, ear, nose and throats. He died 4 Feb 1915 in Shively Jefferson Co Kentucky and buried in the St Louis Cemetery.

Dr. William Dallas Richards was born 1 Oct 1850 in Wheeling West Virginia, the son of James Richards and Mary Herford.  He graduated from the Miami Medical College in 1889 and practiced at 57 Dayton Avenue in Dayton. He served as City Health Officer in Dayton. He died November 13, 1930 in Dayton and was buried in the Ebenezer Cemetery in Bethesda Oh.

Dr. Joseph Asbury Richmond was born 15 Aug 1882 in Tennessee, the son of Samuel Richmond and Louise Prigmore.  He graduated from the University of Nashville, and practiced in Bellevue. He died October 21, 1919 in Bellmont? Boone Co Kentucky.

Dr. Fletcher T Riley was born in Green County Indiana 6 Nov 1854, the son of Bronson Riley and Ruth A Jackson.  He graduated from the Ohio Medical College in 1877, and practiced in Bellevue.

Dr. James R Riley was born in Green County Indiana in 1854, graduated from the Medical College of Ohio in March 1880, and registered in Alexandria as a physician on January 7, 1889. He died 7 May 1892 in Cold Spring of consumption and was buried 10 May in Evergreen Cemetery.

Dr. James B A Risk served in the Civil War.

Dr. I F Roberts practiced in Newport on Madison Street in Newport in 1860.

Dr. James Albert Robertson was born 25 Aug 1868 in Pleasureville, Henry Co Kentucky, the son of Clemonson M Robertson and Betty Neal. He graduated from the Cincinnati College of Medicine and Surgery in 1894, served as Captain in the Medical Corps in WWI and was a member of Speers Hospital.  After WWI he was in charge of several months work of the Altamont and Shelby Arms, U.S. Public Health Service Hospital in Ft. Thomas. He died 28 July 1929 in Ft Thomas and was buried in Evergreen.

Dr. John Coleman Rogers practiced in Newport 1821-1823.

Dr. William B Ross was born 1798 in Warren Co Ohio, the son of Thomas and Rosanna.  He practiced as a dentist in Newport and died Oct 4, 1855 in Newport after being run over by a wagon.

Dr. Yasua A Sasaki was born November 27, 1914 in Tokyo Japan, graduated from the University of Cincinnati College of Medicine in 1941 and practiced in Newport and Covington.

Dr. Richard W Saunders was born in 1835 of English parents who were living in Bologna Italy, served in the medical service of the English Army, moved to Newport in 1869, and then to Bellevue. He died in 1891.

Dr. George Frank Sauter was born 12 Mar 1867 in Stimoruter Germany, the son of Martin Sauter.  He graduated from the Eclectic Medical School in 1908 and practiced at 908 Ann Street in Newport.  He died March 4, 1933 in Newport and was buried in the Clinton Township Cemetery in Sac Co Iowa.

Dr, Leo Camillus George Sauter was born in Newport 26 Sep 1895, the son of Dr. George Frank Sauter and Katherine Grothoff.  He graduated from the Eclectic Medical School in 1920 and practiced with his father. He died 16 Jan 1962 in Newport.

Dr. Martin John Sauter was born 7 July 1892 in Newport, the son of Dr. George F Sauter and Katherine Grothoff. He graduated from the Eclectic Medical School in 1916, and served in WWI.  He practiced at 848 Columbia in Newport.  He died January 2, 1943 in Lakewood Ohio.

Dr. George Herbert Schaber was born 25 Dec 1892 in Alexandria KY, the son of Fred and Anna (Yost).  He attended the University of Kentucky graduating in 1917 and then the Eclectic Medical College in Cincinnati, graduating in 1928.He was married to Irene Houston and died 10 Mar 1929.  He was buried in the Alexandria Cemetery.

Dr. Sebastian W Scheffner was born Dec 1857 in Cincinnati and graduated from the Medical College of Ohio.  He practiced as a pharmacist in Newport in 1910 and had a drug store.

Dr. Elmer R Schnake was born June 11, 1899 in Newport, served in WWI, graduated May 1924 from the Eclectic Medical School, and practiced at 905 Central Avenue in Newport.  He served as a Health Officer of Newport and died August 12, 1961.

Dr. Charles B Schoolfield was born March 6, 1846 in Foster, Kentucky, graduated from Medical College of Ohio in 1873, and practiced on Fairfield Avenue in Dayton. From 1878-1882 he was coroner for Campbell County.  He died in 1905 in Charleston, West Virginia.

Dr. Douglas Schoolfield was born June 1859 in Brooksville, Bracken Co Kentucky, the son of George T and Mary.  He graduated from the Medical College of Ohio in Cincinnati in 1880 and practiced at 631 Sixth Avenue in Dayton.  He died 23 Oct 1907 in Bellevue.

Dr. F S Schroder practiced on Columbia Street in Newport in 1866.

Dr. Carl V Schuermann was born in 1862 in Germany and graduated from the West Pennsylvania Medical College at Pittsburgh on March 22, 1894.  He registered as a physician in Campbell County on July 16, 1902.

Dr. John Sellman practiced in Campbell County in 1809.

Dr. Wilford E Senour was born in July 17, 1866, graduated from the University of Louisville Medical Department in 1891 and practiced in Bellevue. He served as a trustee and member of Speers Hospital Staff. He died in 1927.

Dr. Nathaniel Burger Shaler was born July 21, 1805 and went to Harvard Medical School.  He served at the Newport Barracks as a surgeon from 1847 until the Civil War.  He died January 17, 1882.

Dr. William L Shannon practiced at 315 Washington in Newport as early as 1920.

Dr. Clayton Whittmore Shaw was born 10 Aug 1871 on a tobacco farm near California Kentucky, the son of James Fremont Shaw and Laura Reed. He graduated from the Medical College of Ohio in 1894.  He practiced in Alexandria and in the rural area around it.  In the early years of his practice it was a welcome sight to see him coming down the road on his horse "Charlie".  He served in WWI in the Medical Corp, was Health Officer for Campbell County and served at Speers Memorial Hospital.  He died 11 Sep 1944 and was buried in the Alexandria Cemetery.

Dr. Reuben Shifford practiced at 325 Isabella in Newport in 1882.

Dr. W D Sidman practiced at 154 Washington in Newport in 1886.

Dr. Vernon Jule Sloan was born 4 Nov 1898 in Decatur Illinois, son of Henry V Sloan and Emma Harris. He graduated from the Eclectic Medical School in 1921 and began practice at 814 Washington in Newport.  He died 24 Sep 1942 in Cincinnati and was buried in Evergreen Cemetery.

Dr. W J Sloan was practicing in Newport in 1856.

Dr. Edward Lewis Smith was born 1902 in Delaware Ohio, graduated from the University of Louisville of Medicine June 5, 1934, and registered as a physician in Campbell County July 24, 1935.

Dr. William O Smith practiced at Monmouth Street in Newport in 1866.

Dr. Charles Nicholas Sorg practiced at 28 Todd in 1866.

Dr. Frank Hills Southgate was born in Newport April 12, 1869, the son of James M and Emma (Hills) Southgate. He graduated from the Medical College of Ohio in 1892. He practiced in Newport, the Highlands District and served as Health Officer at Ft. Thomas.  He died September 17, 1947.

Dr. Spencer practiced in Campbell County in 1811.

Dr. James Spilman was a Campbell County coroner and resigned March 22, 1852.

Dr. Robert Theeton Spilman was born 12 June 1830 in Alexandria, the son of Henry Erskine Spilman and Mary Morin. He practiced in Campbell County and died 29 Aug 1861 in Alexandria.

Dr. William Henry Spilman was born 2 Oct 1840 in Cold Spring, Campbell Co, the son of James Spilman and Martha Martin. He graduated from the Miami Medical College March 2, 1869.  He died 8 Oct 1917 in Cold Spring and was buried in the Alexandria Cemetery.

Dr. Lawrence M Spitzelberger was born 19 Aug 1880 in Camp Springs, Kentucky, the son of Michael Spitzelberger and Mary Enzweiler.  At 14 he entered a drug store as a clerk. He graduated in 1905 from the Medical College of Ohio and the College of Pharmacy. He practiced in Newport, Bellevue, and Dayton. He died 9 Apr 1952 in Campbell Co.

Dr. Albert A Sprague registered as a physician in Campbell County May 1898.

Dr. William Edwin Spurlock was born 12 Nov 1885 in Fairfield Co Ohio, the son of John & Bebe.  He was a resident of Bellevue and was married to Estella Milner.  He became an optometrist and was working for Queen City Optometry in Cincinnati when he died 2 Apr 1943 in Covington's Booth Hospital. He was buried at Evergreen Cemetery.

Dr. A S Stamler registered as a physician in Campbell County June 1898.

Dr. J E Stemler was born in 1880, graduated from the Medical College of Ohio in 1902, and practiced at 30 W Fifth in Newport.

Dr. George Horton Stewart practiced in Campbell County in 1852, Newport in 1860 and Bellevue in 1880. He was born in New York 22 Oct 1819 in Bloomingburg New York and died 1 Oct 1894 in Cincinnati of Brights disease.  He was buried 2 Oct in Evergreen Cemetery section 2 lot 1.

Dr. Frederick A Stevin was born July 15, 1867 in Newport, graduated from Cincinnati College of Medicine and Surgery in May 1901, and practiced in Newport. He was the doctor for the Green Line (C N&C Street Railway Co) and the L&N Railroad.  He died February 6, 1926 in Newport.

Dr. John Stites was born in 1780 in New York, attending medical lectures at the University of Pennsylvania, and arrived in Cincinnati in 1802. He practiced in Newport and died in 1807.

Dr. John P Street practiced in Newport on York Street in 1860.

Dr. Adolph Strossmeier practiced in Newport on Harris Street in 1869.

Dr. Arnold Strothotte practiced in Newport on York Street in 1860.

Dr. Charles Henry Struble was born 22 Sep 1872 in Fredericktown Oh, the son of W J Stuble and Mary Beirs. He graduated in 1895 from the Medical College of Ohio and the Pulte Medical College in Cincinnati.  He practiced in Dayton, was on the staff of Speers Memorial Hospital in Dayton and served as a Captain in the Medical Corps in WWI.  He served as city physician and health officer of Dayton and died 19 July 1920 in Cincinnati, and was buried in Evergreen.

Dr. Homer Abraham Sutter served in the Medical Corp during WWI and practiced in Newport at 206 E Third Street in 1920.

Dr. Cornelius A Sutton was born in 1867 and died in 1918. He was buried in St Stephen Cemetery.

Dr. Willard F Taft was born March 1, 1812, the son of George Washington Taft and Nancy Hills. He practiced in Dayton where he died July 17, 1863. He was buried in the St Francis of Assisi Cemetery in Dayton along with his wife Verlinda.

Dr. Charles Tanner practiced in Campbell County in 1841.

Dr. Neil Edison Taylor was born August 7, 1892 in Celina Ohio, graduated from the Eclectic Medical School in 1914, and practiced in Newport by 1925. He died August 22, 1966.

Dr. D C Thomas practiced at 248 Monmouth in Newport in 1890.

Dr. John M Thomas was born 16 Nov 1831 in Mason County, graduated from the Western Reserve Medical College and came to Campbell County in 1870. He practiced in Carthage and California and died 29 Dec 1909 in California and was buried at Higginsport.

Dr. Edward G Thomasson was born 1865 in Campbell County and practiced in Newport. He graduated from the Medical College of Ohio March 6, 1890. He died August 23, 1908 in Cincinnati following an operation.

Dr. William James Thomasson was born in Alexandria August 23, 1869 and was practicing at 942 York in Newport by 1889.  He graduated from Medical College of Ohio in 1893.  He died September 1, 1955.

Dr. Waddy Thompson practiced in Newport at 201 Bellevue in 1875.

Dr. George Warren Thornton was born 2 Mar 1818 in Alexandria, Virginia, the son of George Alexander Thornton and was practicing in Campbell County as early as June 14, 1852, and in Newport in 1856.  He was a delegate to the Medical Convention in Baltimore Maryland in 1870. He died 7 Nov 1890 in Newport of a tumor and was buried 9 Nov in Evergreen Cemetery.

Dr. Peter Thornton was born in Virginia in 1841 and was practicing in the Johns Hill district in 1883 and in 1888 in Newport.  He died 8 Dec 1893 in Newport and was buried 10 Dec in Evergreen Cemetery

Dr. Robert Hamilton Thornton was born 7 Sep 1847 in Coal Mount, Virginia, the son of Dr. George Warren Thornton and Margaret Hamilton. He graduated from Medical College of Ohio in 1868.  He practiced at 201 Madison in Newport.  He died 11 Oct 1931 in Newport and was buried in Evergreen.

Dr. William J Thornton practiced in Newport in 1910 after graduating from the Medical College of Ohio.

Dr. Walter Scott Tingley was born Mar 1847 in Harrison, Fayette Co, Indiana, the son of Uriah B and Elizabeth. He graduated in 1884 from the Medical College of Indiana.  He practiced in Newport as early as 1885 and served one term as coroner from 1895-1898.  He held the postmortem on Pearl Bryan as well as Jackson and Walling after they were hung for her murder. He died 6 May 1910 in Dayton Kentucky and was buried in the South Park Cemetery in Greensburg, Decatur, Indiana.

Dr. John Todd was born 24 Apr 1877 in Alexandria, the son of John Todd and Maria Shaw.  He practiced medicine in Newport and graduated from the Medical College of Ohio in 1900.  He served as a Health Officer in Newport. He was President of the Campbell County Agricultural Society, who are the operators of the Alexandria Fair.  He died October 21, 1941 in Newport and was buried in Evergreen Cemetery..

Dr. L K Tracy practiced in Bellevue as early as 1895 at 190 Foote Avenue.

Dr. William Ernest Truesdell was born 1 Feb 1869 in Campbell County, the son of George F Truesdell and Lucy Elle Carmack. He graduated from the University of Louisville Medical College March 13, 1894, and practiced medicine in Alexandria and Newport. He died 25 May 1933 in Ross in Campbell Co and was cremated.

Dr. Turner practiced in Campbell County in 1848.

Dr. Thomas J Turpin practiced at 64 Jefferson Street in Newport in 1875.

Dr. J E Van Bibber practiced in Newport on East Row in 1866.

Dr. J C Vermilya registered as a physician in Campbell County in April 1896 and practiced at 20 East Fourth Street in Newport.

Dr. William J Von Mitdereinerhand was born in 1822 and practiced at 135 Isabella Street in Newport in 1882.  He died November 10, 1903 in Newport.

Dr. W Von Moeller practiced at 913 Washington Avenue in Newport in 1897.

Dr. Leo C Wadsworth practiced at 219 East Sixth Street in Newport in 1889.

Dr. William Wadsworth practiced in Newport.

Dr. George B Wagner graduated from the Cincinnati College of Medicine and Surgery in 1891 and practiced in Bellevue.

Dr. E S Walker practiced at 196 Bellevue in Newport in 1875.

Dr. Francis M Wall was born in 1853 in Indiana, graduated from the Kentucky School of Medicine at Louisville March 14, 1902 and practiced in Campbell County.

Dr. Lewis J Wallace was born 5 May 1866 in Pendleton Co, the son of Fred Wallace.  He graduated from the University of Louisville School of Medicine in 1904, served in the Medical Corps in WWI, and practiced in Bellevue. He died March 3, 1925 in Bellevue and was buried in Foster Kentucky.

Dr. Walter Scott Wallace graduated from the Kentucky School of Medicine in 1906, and practiced in Newport.  He died December 21, 1921.

Dr. Carey Ernst Wamsley was born 27 Feb 1880 in Wamsleyville. Adams Co. Ohio, the son of Jasper Wamsley and Mary J Freeman.  He graduated from Miami Medical College in 1906, and practiced in Newport. He interned at Speers Memorial Hospital and was Chief Surgeon of the Campbell County Division of the C&O Railroad. He died September 24, 1935 in Cincinnati and was buried in Evergreen.

Dr. Watkins practiced in Campbell County in 1811.

Dr. Charles V Watson was born in 1827 in New York, graduated from Castleton Medical College in Vermont June 10, 1850 and registered as a physician in Campbell County April 11, 1890.

Dr. Robert H Weaver was born in 1915, graduated from the University of Cincinnati College of Medicine in 1941 and practiced in Ft. Thomas.

Dr. Frederick Carl Weber was born 13 Aug 1878 in Newport, the son of Frederick J Weber and Caroline Junker. He graduated from Pulte Medical College in 1904, and practiced at 709 Overton Street in Newport.  He served in the Medical Corps during WWI.  He died July 11, 1942 in Newport and was buried in Evergreen.

Dr. Aldo Weiss was born 1833 in Prussia and graduated from the University of Breslau Germany. He registered as a physician in Campbell County in July 1894. In 1895 he was practicing at 722 Columbia Street in Newport.

Dr. Fred Harry Welte was born in 1900 in Newport, graduated from Eclectic Medical School in 1925 and practiced at 231 West Ninth Street in Newport.  He served in both WWI and WWII.  He died in Ft. Thomas February 1, 1971

Dr. Edward S Wendt graduated from the Miami Medical College and practiced in Newport in 1910. 

Dr. Irwin William Wendt was born 4 Apr 1874 in Newport, the son of Henry and Louise.  He practiced dentistry, died 19 Apr 1938 in Cold Springs and was buried in Evergreen Cemetery section 22 lot 10.

Dr. J T Whittaker served in the Civil War.

Dr. Clarence John Williamson was born 25 Aug 1891 in Massillon Oh, the son of Dr. Frank B Williamson and Frances Behlen. He graduated from Eclectic Medical School in 1928 and practiced in Newport.  He died March 7, 1932 in Dayton KY and was buried in Massillon Oh.

Dr. M C Wilson practiced at 501 West Fifth Street in Newport in 1897.

Dr. Joseph J Witt graduated from University of Cincinnati in 1929 and practiced in Newport.  He died October 23, 1974 in Utica New York.

Dr. Charles E Work practiced in Ft. Thomas at 122 Ft. Thomas Avenue in 1938.

Dr. William A Young was born 19 Apr 1870 in Moscow Ohio, the son of William A & Anna (Hopple). He graduated from the Medical College of Ohio in 1893 and practiced in Newport, California and Cincinnati.  He served as Health Officer of Campbell County. He died December 21, 1917, at the Speers Hospital in Dayton, and was buried in Evergreen.

Dr. Claude Youtsey was the son of James and succeeded his father in his practice and as a trustee and member of Speers Hospital.  He graduated from Medical College of Ohio in 1903 and practiced in Newport.  He died March 5, 1943.

Dr. James John Youtsey was born 26 Oct 1855 in Campbell County, the descendant of a pioneer family, J S Yelton and Elizabeth Biggs at Alexandria and served as a trustee and member of the staff of Speers Hospital. He died 7 Dec 1921 in Newport and was buried in Alexandria.

Dr. Joseph Zahner was born February 2, 1834, practiced at 63 Columbia Street in Newport in 1869, died May 12, 1870 and was buried in St. Mary's Cemetery in Alexandria.

Dr. Newton Green Zinn was born in Williamstown Kentucky September 18, 1868, the son of Newton and Elizabeth (Dunlap) Zinn.  He was granted a diploma to practice Pharmacy in 1890.  He graduated from the Kentucky School of Medicine at Louisville June 21, 1894.  He moved his practice to Alexandria and died 8 Dec 1963.
 

Return to Physicians Index