Information comes from an article by Jim
Reis published in
The Kentucky Post June 15, 1998
Newport records indicate that as early as April 2, 1842, a committee consisting of James McArthur and Ira Root was formed to meet with James Taylor, founder of Newport, and Richard Southgate to discuss other cemetery plans. The committee recommended the city continue to use the Newport City Cemetery site.
In 1847, however,
discussion resumed about a new site. The proposed site was a couple miles south
of Newport and included about 17 acres where the Evergreen Cemetery Chapel now
stands. The old cemetery in Newport remained in use while a one-story
caretaker's house was built in Southgate for $300. Southgate was still a rural
area. Plans were to assume occupancy of the new cemetery on
July 6, 1848. The first burial was not James Taylor who died in November 1848, but John E Harris who was buried 16 July 1849 in section 1 lot 10.
(NOTE: December 21, 2012; In updating Evergreen cemetery burials, an earlier burial has been discovered. John M Howe died 14 July 1849 and was buried in section 1 lot 65.)
James Taylor's son James Taylor had a monument built on the Taylor lot and had his father moved from the Taylor mansion to the foot of the monument. There is no record of this move nor is there any other indication that James Taylor is buried there.
A later Kentucky Journal newspaper account on July 20, 1894, noted the recent death
of Miss Emma Dennison Pagan. It said Miss Pagan was credited with suggesting the name
Evergreen Cemetery. Miss Pagan was the daughter of George Pagan, a long-time
cemetery president. The office of Evergreen Cemetery, however, remained in
Newport. An 1880 city directory listed the office at 192 Monmouth St.