James and Elisabeth Pagan
Information comes from records submitted to the Campbell County Historical Society by Robert Douglas Ferguson, great grandson of James Pagan.
James Pagan Sr. was born 25 Nov 1782 in Dumfries, Scotland, the son of Robert and Jannet Pagan and died in Newport after 1860 and was buried in Evergreen Cemetery. Elizabeth (Addie) Pagan was born 2 Oct 1787 in Dumfries, Scotland to George and Mary Agnes Addie and died in Newport in 1850 and was buried also in Evergreen. Her headstone states: 1787-1850.
The Dumfries Parish register reveals three brothers for Elizabeth: John born in 1775, Alexander, born in 1877 and Maxwell born in 1792.
The ship Mattakeeset out of Liverpool in 1837 gives these names among its passengers: James Pagan (45) Robert Pagan (18) (Mary) Agnes Pagan (16), John Kerr (23) and George Bell (25). Mary Agnes Pagan's mother Elisabeth is not listed but it may be that she remained in Scotland with the three younger sons until such time as James could send for them. Not long after their arrival, Mary Agnes Pagan and John Kerr were married and settled down to farm life in Southern Ohio.
Most of the Pagan families settled eventually in Northern Kentucky.
Children of James Pagan Sr. and Elizabeth Addie
1. child died young
2. child died young
3. Mary Agnes Pagan-born 20 Aug 1821 in Dumfries; m-John Kerr
4. George M Pagan b-20 Aug 1821 in Dumfries; m-Anna Dennison in 1848; d-5 Jan 1893 in Newport; br-Evergreen
5. Robert Pagan-born in Dumfries
6. William Pagan-born Dumfries
7. James Pagan-born Aug 1828 in Dumfries; m-Mary Elisabeth Bassett in Melbourne Australia; d-June 1904
Children of George Pagan and Anna Dennison
Emma Dennison Pagan
born 1849 in Hamilton, Ohio; died 12 July 1894; buried Evergreen Cemetery
2. George M Pagan Jr. born 14 Aug 1851 in Newport; married Sallie Lorain Weaver 14 Aug 1877; George was a house painter in 1880 and a county assessor in the 1880s. He died 3 Feb 1912, and was buried at Evergreen.
3. James Douglas Pagan born 1 May 1852 in Newport; James was a house painter in 1880. He married Helen Agnes Pagan, his first cousin. He died 17 Feb 1932 in Kenton Co.
4. Walter Scott Pagan born 10 Mar 1855 in Newport; he died 25 June 1921 in Dodge City, Kansas and was buried 28 June in Evergreen.
5. Charles Stewart Pagan born 1858 in Newport; died 20 Dec 1898 in Chicago, Ill. and was buried there in the Rose Hill Cemetery.
6. Elisabeth Isabel Pagan born Jan 1860 in Newport; died 2 Jan 1940 in Carroll, Ky.
7. Sidney Milton Pagan born 1862 in Newport
8. William Wallace Pagan born 25 July 1864 in Newport; married Frances A Reichart; he died 11 Mar 1939 in Ft. Thomas and was buried in Evergreen. Frances died 13 Mar 1950.
Children of James N Pagan and Mary Elisabeth Bassett
1. James N Pagan Jr. born 1863 in Melbourne,
Australia; died 23 Aug 1888 in Denver Colorado and was buried in Evergreen
2. Elizabeth Anna Pagan born 1865 in Melbourne, Australia; m-Richard M Ferguson Nov 1886 in Newport; d-1949 in Union Grove, Wis.
3. Helen Agnes Pagan born 6 Mar 1868 in Melbourne, Australia; married her first cousin, James Douglas Pagan. She died 1 Dec 1930 in Newport and was buried 3 Dec in Evergreen.
4. Helen Olive Pagan born Mar 1869 in Melbourne, Australia
5. Alice Belle Pagan-born in Campbell County; m-James Edward Schrader in 1891; d-Memphis Tenn.
Children of Elizabeth Anna Pagan and Richard M Ferguson
1. Rogers Sharp Ferguson-born Aug 1887; m-Mary
Rigney; d-May 1961
2. Lennis Ruth Pagan-born Feb 1889; m-Guy Robert Cornell
3. William Harton Pagan-born Dec 1890
4. Rhodes Pagan-born 1893; d-1899
Children of Alice Belle Pagan and James Edward Schrader
1. Ida Bell Schrader; m-Chilton Dewitt Terrell