List of Campbell County Newspapers

 

This is a list of newspapers that operated before 1920 including approximate publication dates where their offices were located and other available information.

 

Campbell Citizen-1909, originally started in Alexandria but later moved to Newport

Covington and Newport Post-1875, a German language newspaper

Covington and Newport Tri-Weekly Ledger-1857, a Democrat paper

Covington and Newport Zeitung-1859, German language weekly

Daily Democratic Union-1850 a one week experiment

Dayton News-1893

Fortnightly Advance-1889, Newport operated by Rev. J D Butting

Freeman's Journal-1848

Free Press-1873 Newport

The Free South-1858-1859, Newport, prohibitionist newspaper, editor William S Bailey; presses tossed into the Ohio River

Jones' News-1877 Newport

The Kentuckian-1853-1884

The Kentucky Conference Herald-1891 focused on Black community

The Kentucky Intelligencer-1845 weekly

Kentucky Journal-1879 Newport, German language weekly, office at Fourth and York

Kentucky Staatzertung-1879 German weekly

Kentucky State Journal-1876-1891 Newport, started at the Newport Local. Name changed in 1879.  Original office on Jefferson Street, later moved to southwest corner of York and Bellevue.

Kentucky Weekly News-1834 Newport, operated by editor William S Bailey

The Newport Chandelier-the first Newport newspaper stared in 1845

Newport Courier-1905

Newport Free Press-1872 weekly

Newport Herald-1887-1888

Newport Leader-1872, purchased by the Kentucky State Journal

Newport Local-1876-1879, changed name to Kentucky State Journal

The Newport Messenger-1853, tri-weekly

Newport News-1868

The Newport Weekly Advocate-1859

The Roll-1854, Newport weekly

Weekly News-1872 Newport
 

Return to Newspaper Index