CHILDREN OF OWEN McGLONE
WILLIAM OWEN McGLONE
born: September 13, 1803
married: Jemima "Susanna" Clark on January 12m 18289
William Owen was born in Kentucky and is buried at the Cart Kiser Cemetery in Carter County, Kentucky. He was married in Lewis County, Kentucky to Jemima who was born in 1812. They had nine children:
- Alfred J. will be discussed in Section I.
- Sarah was born on May 7, 1831, and died on June 26 1873. She married John Fannin on June 12, 1849. Sarah and John are the great grandparents of Bruce Perry who was of much assistance to us.
- Elizabeth was born in 1834 in Kentucky.
- Nancy was born on September 14, 1836, and married James "Flem" Logan on May 28, 1857. Flem was born in 1823 in Kentucky.
- George was born in 1839 and married a Buckner.
- John will be discussed in Section II.
- Martha was born in 1845 in Kentucky.
- Jemima was born in 1847 in Kentucky.
- William, Jr., will be discussed in Section III.
References: 6, 13, 17, 18, 19a, 33, 40, 42, 71.
Alfred J. was born in 1830 and died in 1880 in Kentucky. He married Amey Emily Hall who was born in 1829 in Kentucky and died in 1901. The Amey Cemetery in Carter County, Kentucky is name after Amey. Alfred was noted throughout the county for his rail splitting ability. Alfred and Amey had 10 children:
- William P. will be discussed in Section IV.
- James Wayman will be discussed in Section V.
- Leander Jackson will be discussed in Section VI.
- Louisa A. was born on July 3, 1858, in Kentucky and married William Crawford on September 4, 1884.
- Francis M. was born in 1860 and died in 1877 of typhoid fever.
- Mary Ellen was born on February 13, 1862 in Kentucky and died on December 13, 1929. She married Martin Kitchen. They had a child in 1880.
- Alfred Nelson Porter, Jr., was born in 164 in Kentucky and married Jane Gorman and then Phoebe Crawford. Alfred and Phoebe had a daughter Effie, who married Henry Forge on October 16, 1919. Alfred also had a son, Robert, who was born on June 1, 1909, and died on March 6, 1912. Alfred and Jane also had a daughter, Lizzie, who died in 1913. He and Phoebe had three daughters other than Effie -- Linda, Minnie Bell, and Rhonda -- they also had two sons who died in infancy. Alfred died on April 18, 1922, and is buried at Quincy, Kentucky, in Lewis County.
- Ezekiel will be discussed in Section VII.
- Malinda was born in 1869.
- Brunetta "Nettie" was born in 1870. She married George Fannin and later Bud Raike. George Fannin was the son of Sarah, the second child of William Owen and he and Nettie had five sons. She and Bud had one daughter.
References: 6,13, 18, 19a, 19b, 19c.
John N. was born on September 14, 1842, at Wesleyville, Kentucky, and died on December 11, 1919. He married Martha E. Bush in Fleming County, Kentucky on July 27, 1866. Later, on April 1, 1891, he married Maggie Howe. Maggie died on October 8, 1908. John also married Cardillia Hall from Lucille, Kentucky. Cardillia claimed John deserted her in 1914, but could offer no proof of this. John was known as "Fightin’ John" and was about six feet tall with a fair complexion and black hair. He joined Company "D" of the 22nd. Kentucky Infantry on October 24, 1861, but on January 28, 1862, he was at home sick. On March 18, 1862, he was listed as AWOL and $30 was offered for his apprehension. He was also to forfeit all pay and allowances for 26 months and 22 days as well as to make good the time lost to the government. In 1864 he was tried by General Court Martial and found innocent or not guilty. However he had enlisted again in 1863 under the name of John N. McGloan in Company "D" of the 40th. Regiment of the Kentucky Volunteer Infantry which was in violation of the 22nd. Article of War. He was mustered out in Louisville on January 20, 1865, but had received no pay since 1861. His later claim for pay allowance was denied since he was AWOL during this time. John supposedly had 12 children by Martha and 8 by Maggie. Some of his children were:
- Millie was born in 1874. Information was given on Millie in a letter from Winfield Scott to the National Archives.
- Thomas Alfred will be discussed in Section VIII.
- Boston "Boss" was born on July 21, 1899, in Rowan County, Kentucky, and died on May 25, 1931, in Portsmouth, Ohio. He never married.
- Daniel B. was born on May 19, 1906. He had a leg shot off as a child and later was assigned to a guardian (who later was deemed unfit) and then to the Division of Charities.
- John Nelson will be discussed in Section XVI.
- Frances married an Underwood.
- Nan married George Molton.
- Nathan will be discussed in Section XVII.
- Ezekiel married Jenny Johnson. He died in 1909, the year his son Ezekiel Harvey was born.
References: 6, 18, 19a, 71, 92
William, Jr., was born in 1850 in Kentucky and died sometime after 1919. He married Nancy "Polly" Burroughs (Burris) on May 23, 1873. Nancy was also born in Kentucky and they were married there. William, Jr., was known as "Fightin’ Bill". They had 11 children:
- Noah will be discussed in Section IX.
- Epperson will be discussed in Section X.
- Sam married Lotta Hicks.
- James Fleming will be discussed in Section XI.
- Hulda "Sis" was born June 25, 1882, and married Lesley Yates.
- Ida was born on June 15, 1884, and died in 1902.
- Willard was born on October 10, 1886, in Carter County, Kentucky.
- Mary Etta was born on July 28, 1888, and died on July 17, 1977. She never married and was a member of the Church of God of Prophecy. She is buried at the Hillcrest Cemetery in Carter County, Kentucky.
- Sylvester (Sebastian) (Boss) was born on February 25, 1891, and died in Huntington, WV on November 11, 1941. He married Nancy Whitt on February 12, 1920, and they had no children.
- Sarah married Walter Minnich on August 10, 1913.
- Edith married Fed Tomlin.
References: 4e, 6, 8, 10, 18, 19a, 71, 163.
William P. was the son of Alfred J. and was born on March 14, 1845, or March 14, 1853. He married Amanda Garvin (Jervis) who was born in 1857. He was listed in the reference as a day laborer. He and Amanda had nine children. We also think he married Anna C. Richards on October 13, 1910, in Portsmouth, Ohio.
- Dolly Elizabeth was born in 1873 and married Dave Hoover in Ohio.
- Alfred Carlis will be discussed in Section XII.
- Mary Ellen was born in 1877 and died on May 19, 1942, in Lewis County. She will be discussed further in Section XIII.
- Rhoda A. was born in 1879 and never married.
- John R. was born on April 16, 1878, and was known as "Dink". He died in Lucasville, Ohio.
- Charles W. was born on May 25, 1889, and never married. He died in World War I at Camp Sherman, Ohio.
- Mazona Janie married Claude Henderson.
- Nellie. She never married.
- Frank. We know nothing of him except he did marry.
References: 6, 19c, 32, 33, 198.
James Wayman "Twid" was born on July 1, 1854, and married Nancy E. Staggs on January 25, 1880. Nancy was born on June 6, 1856, and died on April 5, 1886. She was buried at Amey Cemetery where the tombstone says she died in 1905. Twid later married Celie Kimbler who was born in 1881. James died on October 18, 1921. His children were:
- Dora M. will be discussed in Chapter V.
- F.M. (Blind Frank) will be discussed in Section XIII.
- Alfred Eddie was born on April 7, 1885, and died on February 19, 1887. The above three were born of Nancy. The other 5 are of Celie.
- Eva born on July 4, 1903, in Maysville, Kentucky, and married a Lawson.
- Pearlie born on October 28, 1904, and died on September 15, 1905.
- Bess will be discussed in Chapter VII, Section XIII.
- Millard born on May 16 1909, and died on February 13, 1912.
- Wavey born on November 13, 1912, at Maysville, Kentucky, and died in April, 1965.
References: 6, 10, 11, 19e, 34, 42, 109, 121.
Leander Jackson was born on March 18, 1856, in Olive Hill, Kentucky, and died in 1910 in Lancaster, Ohio. He married Clerenda Littrell on December 28, 1882. She was born in 1866 in Ohio and died in 1897 in Olive Hill. Leander moved to Ohio in 1905. They had 7 children:
- Nancy Jane born in 1884 in Olive Hill. She married Francis B. Riley on November 10, 1902, in Portsmouth, Ohio.
- Amy Louina "Vincy" was born in 1886 in Olive Hill and married Frank Fisher in Portsmouth, Ohio.
- Thomas Perry was born on July 13, 1888, in Olive Hill and died in Portsmouth, Ohio. He married Pearl J. Williams on January 13, 1917, in Portsmouth, Ohio.
- James was born on May 11, 1890, in Olive Hill and died in 1976 in California.
- Bertie Alice was born on October 12, 1892, in Olive Hill and was married twice. First to William Golley in 1907 and then to a Huffman. They lived at South Shore, Kentucky.
- Lucinda was born on April 4, 1895, in Olive Hill. She was married three times.
- Clarinda "Clara" was born on March 18, 1897, in Olive Hill and died in 1934.
References: 6, 36, 40, 198.
Ezekiel was born in 1866 and died on October 14, 1920. He married Rachel Susan Jordan on December 15, 1892. Rachel was born in 1876 and died on May 24, 1935, in Carter County, Kentucky. They had 7 children:
- Chester A. was born on February 7, 1894, in Carter County, Kentucky, and died on November 16, 1918. He had TB in WWI. He is buried at the Amey Cemetery in Carter County. He never married.
- Charles will be discussed in Section XIV.
- Ethel was born on May 21, 1899, and died in 1944. She married Arthur Taylor.
- Cloa Elizabeth "Lizzie" was born on September 6, 1901, and died on December 17, 1963. She died in Ashland, Kentucky. She married George Washington Stamper on November 6, 1919. Her daughter Myrtle, married Lawrence McGlone who is discussed in Chapter VIII, Section V.
- Myrtle was born on June 17, 1905, and married John Mullins on March 3, 1922.
- Alma was born on July 3, 1908, and married Allan M. Cooper on June 17, 1929.
- Malinda Alifair died young.
References: 4c, 6, 10 11, 19, 34.
Thomas Alfred was born on April 27, 1880, in Greenup County, Kentucky, and died on February 11, 1936, in Portsmouth, Ohio. He married Lucy (Lula) B. Molton on April 27, 1899, in Fleming County, Kentucky. They had five children:
- Cora was born on October 10, 1911, in Fleming County.
- Nevada Mamie was born on September 15, 1916, in Fleming County.
- Nellie was born in 1903 in Fleming County.
- Josie was born in 1901 in Fleming County.
- Queenie was born in 1902 in Fleming County.
References: 6, 8, 20, 198.
Noah "Cap" was born in Carter County, Kentucky, in the late 1870’s and died on July 5, 1924, in Portsmouth, Ohio, and is buried at the Burris Cemetery, in Carter County. He married Mary Elizabeth Messer on July 8, 1899, in Kentucky. Mary was born in 1877 and died in 1958 in California. They had 10 children:
- Leonard C. will be discussed in Section XV.
- Ethel was born on March 31, 1901, in Fresno, California, and married Emery Brown in Boyd County, Kentucky, on April 4, 1925.
- Charles Walter "Chug" was born on January 31, 1903, in Akron, Ohio, and married Mae Harris on April 10, 1929, in Carter County.
- Oscar Epperson "Epp" was born on February 3, 1905, in Sciotoville, Ohio, and married Hazel Harris on April 25, 1931, in Greenup County, Kentucky.
- Virgie was born on February 5, 1907, in Boyd County, Kentucky, and married Harlan Warnock.
- Lois L. was born on December 11, 1911, in Carter County, Kentucky, and died in 1970. She married Ray Wooten in 1929.
- Bernice Olive was born on October 27, 1917, and married Carl Hope at Elmore, California.
- Wayne "Buddy" married Edna Williams on November 3, 1937, in Carter County.
- Norma was born in Elmore, California, and married Edward Warnock.
- Russell married Anna Lee Harris on December 20, 1935, and they live in Elmore, California.
References: 6, 8, 11, 31b, 34, 122.
Epperson was known as Epp and also as E.P. He was the son of William, Jr., and was born on October 15, 1877, and died on November 11, 1937. He married Sarah "Sallie" Lewis on February 12, 1901, and Lydia Brown Stallard on July 3, 1928. Epp had two children:
- Edward was born in 1902 and died in 1974. He married Beulah Elizabeth Payne in 1924 and they had two children.
- William never married and lived in Oregon.
References: 6, 10, 31b, 31j.
James Fleming "Lark" was born on June 25, 1880, in Kentucky. He died on January 29, 1944, in Oregon. Lark married Martha Ellen Burchett on April 27, 1901. Lark and Martha had 8 children:
- Fleming "Flem"
- Willard Edward was born on January 14, 1916, in Oregon. he married Mary A. Grivey on December 26, 1954.
References: 6, 163.
Alfred Carlis was born in 1875 and died on June 30, 1946, in Minneapolis, Minnesota. He was known as "Coon" and owned restaurants in Minneapolis from 1901 until 1923. Although we are not sure at this time, we believe he is the A.C. that married at age 18 in Vanceburg, Kentucky, in the presence of Dr. J.M. Wells and Mrs. Kendall. He then lived in Scioto County, Ohio. We also believe he was born in Carter County, Kentucky, and was a canvasser. He was married twice, first to Izetta and then to Minnie. He had four sons.
- John R. was an Assembly Sergeant in Aviation in World War I.
- James Edward was awarded the Purple Heart in World War I and died in 1937.
- William Hall was in the Mexican War and the Naval Service in World War I He was born on November 11, 1892, and married Nora Cooper on December 16, 1916, in Portsmouth, Ohio.
- Charles W. was born on April 10, 1899, in South Portsmouth, Kentucky. He married Olive R. Kelly on March 9, 1935.
References: 40, 166, 198.
Francis Marion "Blind Frank" was born on November 2, 1880, and died in 1965 or 1966. He is buried at the Oakland Cemetery, Carter County, Kentucky. He married Malindy "Dink" Kimbler and then Mary Ellen McGlone. (Chapter II, Section IV.) Francis went blind on September 11, 1900, and later supported himself and his family by selling his poetry. An example of his work ids given below. He had 5 children:
- Wavey was born on March 18, 1898, and died on March 27, 1898.
- Ira Dennis was born on April 11, 1900, in Battle Creek, Michigan.
- Lydia Susan "Mary" was born on May 28, 1902, and married a Thornsburg.
- Nancy Elizabeth was born on February 11, 1904, and died on that date.
- Laura A. was born on December 31, 1921, in Carter County.
References: 6, 8, 32, 42, 97, 121.
A CITY OF LOVE
Yonder in that lovely city
Where the shining mansions are,
at the right hand of the Father,
Our redeemer is waiting there.
He is waiting in bright glory,
yet He smiles and bids us come;
bids us live with him forever
in that everlasting home.
Jesus loves His little children,
He will love and care for them;
He will be their light in darkness
if they will love and follow Him;
He will free them from all evil
and will lead them safely home
to that land of light and glory
where no evil ever comes.
All this world is dark and dreary
but my Father’s face is bright;
when we in His footsteps follow
we are walking in the light;
we are traveling home to glory
to that land where is no night,
where no evil shadow cometh
in that home so fair and bright.
Oh! I hear the shepherd calling
for the sheep that went astray;
He is pleading, kindly pleading --
come, oh come, without delay;
without worrying, without doubting;
without money, without price;
He is offering a free salvation,
offering to the lamb outside.
That awful day is fast approaching
when the angel shall descend
from the throne of eternal glory,
then He will say that time shall end.
If we are prepared to meet our Savior
when we hear the trumpet sound,
He will call us home to heaven --
at His table we will sit down.
Composed by Francis M. McGlone
source: CARTER COUNTY HISTORY, 1838-1976.
*Charles was born on March 18, 1898, and died on October 3, 1947, and he was buried at the Amey Cemetery in Carter County, Kentucky. He married Judy McGlone, the daughter of John, who will be discussed in Chapter V, Section VIII. He and Judy were married on February 16, 1932. They had 3 children:
- Harold was born on June 22, 1937.
- Gecoba F. was born on March 5, 1939.
- Ezekiel was born on December 14, 1940, and died on June 17, 1941.
*Charles’ marriage bond shows he was 26 years old in 1932.
Reference: 6, 10, 11, 36, 42.
Leonard C. was born on April 23, 1897, in Grayson, Kentucky, and married Bernice Walker on September 24, 1919, in Lewis County, Kentucky. Bernice was born in 1897 in Greenup County, Kentucky, and died in Napa, California. They had one son, Howard Emery, who was born on February 4, 1935, in Hanford, California, and he married Joy Wilson in 1955. They also had four older children, all born in Sciotoville, Ohio.
References: 6, 11, 31b, 40, 83, 122.
John Nelson was born January 21, 1870, in Greenup County, Kentucky. He died on April 26, 1943, in Portsmouth, Ohio. John’s first wife was a Sumake and then he married Martha Ida Warnock on March 25, 1893. She was born on February 22, 1875, and died on November 13, 1940, in Portsmouth. John was a railroader. He and Martha had nine children:
- William Nelson was born on March 26, 1900, in Fleming County, Kentucky. He married Maggie Smith on September 12, 1933, and he died on March 28, 1939, in Portsmouth, Ohio.
- Henry C. was born on March 27, 1910, and died on August 18, 1931 in Fleming County.
- Elva was born on March 14, 1912, in Fleming County.
- John, Jr., was born on May 16, 1915, in Fleming County.
- Thomas E. was born on March 14, 1912, and married Dora Gray on August 10, 1935.
- Ernest O. was born on May 15, 1914, and married Mabel Alice Gray on December 20, 1935. He was an Auto Wrecker.
References: 6, 8, 10, 34, 198.
Nathan was born on August 20, 1876, and married Hannah Lucas on November 11, 1898. Hannah was born on April 6, 1863. They had one son.
- Fred Nathan was born on October 22, 1899, and died in Cincinnati, Ohio, on June 20, 1970. He married Vernia Crum and they had four daughters.
a. Thelma Jean was born on March 19, 1929.
b. Dortha Mae was born on April 4, 1931.
c. Ester Louise was born on March 20, 1933.
d. Irene was born on November 30, 1944.