Robert Blankenship and family, circa 1910
1) Hazel Maude Blankenship, born in 1899 (see biography with her individual photo).
2) Ercelle Olive Blankenship, born in 1902 at Stinson. She married Harry Strother Shivel. A beauty, with chestnut colored hair, she was a very accomplished musician with all stringed instruments. Particularly proficient on the piano. With sister Hazel, she was member of the "Grayson Evangelistic Trio" 7 the Blue Ridge Mt. Singers" in the 20's. d. 1947 at the Cleveland Clinic.
3) Robert Blankenship, son of Lafayette & Jennie Blankenship, born 1876 at Reedville. He was a wholesale grocery merchant and traveling salesman, and active in the Methodist church. He lived in Stinson, Grayson, and Greenup, KY. Robert died in 1929 in Greenup and was buried in the Old Grayson Cemetery.
4) Son, Fred Blankenship, born 1905 at Grayson. Took 1st name, "Charles" when a student at Georgetown College. Physician, graduate of Univ. of Louisville School of Med.; MpH at Johns Hopkins 1937. He had a most celebrated and distinguished career in the US Public Health Service (USPHS), including liaison officer to 5th Service Command US Army 1942-1946 in charge of the medical aspects of the Japanese Evacuation from S. California and Arizona. Professor of Community Health, Univ. of Louisville School of Med., and acting Kentucky State Health Officer following retirement from USPHS. He died in 1982 in Louisville, KY. Fondest memories of family and growing up in Grayson, became genealogist and co-author of Blankenship Family History (Descendants of Daniel and Sarah Rankins Blankenship of Carter Co., KY).
5) Susan Belle Hogsten Blankenship of Honeywell, KY, wife of Robert Blankenship. She was a schoolmarm, poet, storyteller, quilter; & even as a girl, could "ride faster than any of the boys, even riding sidesaddle".
Submitted by: Nancy Brinly