Charles Campbell Brooks
This is a photo of a picture of Mr. Brooks that hangs in the main meeting room of the Olive Hill Masonic Temple.
Submitted by John W. Grace
Charles Campbell Brooks was a very prominent early citizen of Olive Hill.
He lived in one of the city's earliest area near Cold Springs.
Down the railroad track near where the railroad bridge use to cross Tygart Creek.
The C & O Railroad (Chesapeake and Ohio) started as the Elizabethtown- Lexington & Big Sandy line and followed west to east,
the old Midland Trail. The train tracks were laid through Olive Hill in 1881 and changed the face of the city.
The track was laid in sections under a contract, the Olive Hill section was built by Charles Campbell Brooks.
He was so impressed with the beauty of an area just east of Olive Hill known as “Devil’s Backbone” that he purchased it
and later built a house on the property and lived there. He soon became a leading citizen and helped establish
the Olive Hill Masonic Lodge and became the First Master in 1886. He also served as the county judge of the shortly formed Beckham County in 1904.
Captain Charles Campbell Brooks ,CSA was born in 1839 in Va, USA. He died in 1927.
Charles married May Pauline Bates on 8 Aug 1865 in Bristol, Va. May was born in 1842 in MO, USA. She died in 1918.
They had the following children:
Mary Elizabeth Brooks was born in Oct 1868. She died in 1935.
Charles R Brooks was born on 20 Feb 1873. He died on 5 Feb 1890. He was buried in Hayes Cemetery, Olive Hill, Carter Co, KY, USA.
Minnie Brooks 1 was born on 9 Feb 1875 in Va, USA. She died on 26 Apr 1913. She was buried in Hayes Cemetery, Olive Hill, Carter Co, KY, USA.
Minnie married Robert Jordan son of James Jordan. Robert was born in Aug 1876 in Ky, USA.
Robert Brooks was born in Apr 1878 in Va, USA. He died in 1917 in Ky, USA. He was buried in Hayes Cemetery, Olive Hill, Carter Co, KY, USA.
Pearl Brooks was born in Aug 1884. She died in 1962.
Submitted by: Mike Barker