Arnold Dyer and Ina McClain were the original owner and
operator of Dyer’s Grayson Appliance. They assumed ownership of the
business in 1951; the location was South Hord Street below the Wilhoit
Law Office. The business consisted of the sale and servicing
of home appliances, bedding, radio’s, and the big item was the radio record
player combination. The popularity of the television grew dramatically
in the early 1950's. In 1951 Grayson Appliance sold the first TV
in Carter County, to Mr. Harper then editor of the Journal Enquirer.
The store remained on Hord Street until 1960 when they moved to the new
location on West Main Street next door to Satterly and Phillips Funeral
Home. Ina McClain Dyer became one of Grayson,
Kentucky's best known businesswomen.
Submitted by Carolyn Wilson Dyer