Pictured are Daniel E. McDavid and Elizabeth "Betty" Sturgill McDavid. Daniel E. McDavid was born 5 Sep 1827 in Lawrence Co. Ky. and died 10 May 1906 in Willard, Carter Co., Ky. Daniel was the son of George McDavid and Mary Blevins, and was the grandson of Patrick McDavid and Martha Wilson of Augusta, Greenbrier and Scott counties Va. Patrick McDavid fought in the the Revolutionary War. Patrick was the son of George McDavid of Rockbridge and Lunenburg counties, Va. George was the son of James McDavid and Mary Ann Allen from Glisnick, Ireland. Martha Wilson was the daughter of Samuel and Martha Wilson of Augusta County, Va. Daniel married on 12 January 1851, in Carter Co. Ky. to Elizabeth Sturgill. Elizabeth was born on 17 January 1834, in Letcher County, Ky. She was the daughter of Solomon Sturgill and Rebecca Tompkins from the Black Hills of North Carolina. Solomon was the son of John Sturgill and Jemima Wells of Wise Co. Va. and Letcher Co. Ky. John was the son of Francis Sturgill and Rebecca Hash of Ashe Co. N.C. Rebecca Tompkins was the daughter of Benjamin Tompkins of N.C. and NE Tenn. Elizabeth died on 12 July 1908 near Willard Carter Co. Ky.
Daniel and Elizabeth had the following children:
1. B. Frank, born 5 Nov 1853, Elliott Co. Ky., died 30 Nov 1934, Grayson, Ky.
2. Rebecca, born 7 Dec 1856, died 28 Dec 1856, Elliott Co. Ky.
3. William Solomon, born 16 Dec 1857, died 7 Apr 1930, Willard, Carter Co. Ky
4. John E., born 27 Apr 1861, died 7 Jan 1931, Grayson Ky.
5. Henry Harrison, born 16 Sep 1863, died 19 Nov 1949, Willard Carter Co. Ky.
6.Mary C. b. 27 Nov. 1868 died 10 Sep 1875.
7 Daniel E., Jr., born 6 Aug 1870, died 22 Mar 1991, Willard Carter Co. Ky. with appendicitis.
8. Martha Elizabeth, born 30 Dec 1873, died 16 Apr 1959 Willard, Carter Co. Ky. Martha married George W. Adams
Daniel, Elizabeth, Frank, Henry, Daniel Jr. and Martha Adams are buried in the McDavid Cemetery at the intersection of Rt. 1496 and 1122. William Solomon was buried in the Solomon Sturgill Cemetery. Rebecca and Mary are buried in the Old McDavid Cemetery in Elliott Co. Ky.
Daniel Sr. was a farmer and raised beef cattle and sheep. He owned
farms in Carter Co. and Elliott Co. Ky. When he died he left more
than 500 acres per child.
Submitted by Eleanor McDavid Brewster