Carter County Courthouse Photo Gallery

Carter County Courthouse.

Carter County Courthouse.

Carter County Courthouse, 1907.

Carter County Courthouse.

Submitted by: Joel Carter

Carter County Courthouse, built in 1907 (bottom picture circa 1910)

Pictured is the Carter County Courthouse located on Main Street in Grayson, Carter Co., Ky.   built in 1907.  A jail was added on the back of the Courthouse with a connecting ramp to the upstairs courtroom, and an addition has been added on the East and the West sides of the original building.

The original Carter County Courthouse

Pictured is the original Carter County Courthouse, erected  in 1840-42, on the land selected and donated by William G. Carter and his wife, Hebe Grayson Carter, d/o Col. William Grayson.  This building served the citizens of Carter County until 1907 when it was torn down and the new Courthouse was erected on the same hillside located on Main Street in Grayson, known as Courthouse Square.  The small building at left served as the Tax Commissioner and Magistrate's offices until it was torn down in 1950 to make room to expand the current courthouse.

Those pictured in front of the Courthouse are, left to right: Watt David, Unknown, George Castle, Judge Jones, John Carolin, Frank Smith, Sam Wylie, Col. Ephraim B. Wilhoit, Bill Moccabee, Judge Hubbard, Robert David, Hiram Gregory, Judge Woods, Judge Morris, and George Armstrong.


Submitted by  Garrett and Sherry Lowe

Carter County Courthouse, Grayson, Ky.

Photo taken August 2004.

Submitted by  John W. Grace

Back to Your Carter County Photo Album