Located on the lawn in front of the Carter County Courthouse, is a historical marker commemorating the naming of the county in 1838.
The marker reads:
COUNTY NAMED, 1838
"For Col. William Grayson Carter, state senator, 1834-38. The 88th Ky. county formed, 32nd in size, Carter was created from Greenup and Lawrence. Noted in early years for 5 iron furnaces, its clay products industry developed in late 1800's. Carter Caves, a major source of saltpeter during War of 1812, has been important tourist attraction since 1924."
Submitted by Garrett and Sherry Lowe