Colonel William Casey
HISTORY OF KENTUCKY, by Lewis Collins, and J.A. & U.P.
James, published 1847. Reprinted by Henry Clay Press, Lexington, Ky.,
1968, p. 231 [Casey county].
Colonel WILLIAM CASEY, in honor of whom this county received its name, was a native of Frederick county, Virginia. In company with two or three families, he removed to Kentucky in the early part of the winter of 1779-80; and during the intensely cold weather of that memorable winter, lived in a camp on the Hanging fork of Dick's river. He remained there until the year 1791; when under the influence of that spirit of adventure and change which marked the era in which he lived, he struck his tent, and removed to Russell's creek, a tributary of Green river. Here, at a distance of fifty miles from any white settlement, in conjunction with several families who pushed their fortunes with him, he
located and built a station. Though feeble in numbers, the hardy band of pioneers by whom he was surrounded, and who reposed in him unbounded confidence as a leader, maintained themselves, gallantly and victoriously, against several attacks of the Indians. His station was subsequently reinforced by several families, whose presence was instrumental in preventing any further assault on the part of the Indians. In one of the incursions, however, of a small band of savages,
Mr. John Tucker, a Methodist preacher, together with his wife, were cruelly murdered.