HIGGINS - MCCLELLAND HOME
#315 N. Broadway, Lexington, Fayette County, Kentucky
Richard H. Chinn and wife, Eliza M., in a partition in 1833 of the property of Robert Holmes, dec'd., were allotted 180 feet fronting Broadway, extending north from the third house here.
Josiah Ennis had other property back of this transferred to him by Richard H. Chinn and it seems this lot, fronting 35 feet, was acquired by Ennis similarly. Implications are that, for the trade made with John Holmes for building construction work on adjoining lots, Ennis got Holmes to erect this house about 1838.
The first deed of sale was by Josiah Ennis and Caroline, his wife, in March, 1854. It was described in that and all other deeds as 35 feet opposite the University. Ennis said the property had been conveyed to him by Mrs. Eliza M. Chinn (wife of Richard H. Chinn) and M.C. Johnson (her trustee, to whom Chinn had conveyed this lot in 1835).
Landon Carter and Nancy, wife, conveyed the house in 1862 to H.M. Urmston.
Carter evidently surrendered the house a few years before--he is listed in the 1859-60 Directory as "Cabinet finisher, boards Mrs. Sarah Holmes."
Under Urmston's ownership, the house was rented. Noah H. McClelland and wife (Richard Higgins' widow) lived here for some time after the sale of their Barr Street mansion (Benj. Warfield House).
The next occupant was W.V. Lindsay, wholesale grocer and manager of the old Ashland House.
The Urmston heirs (T.E.H. and Miss Annie E. Urmston, of Madison County) sold the property in 1888 to Mrs. Maggie Pryor.
One of its distinguished occupants in modern days was the late Col. Charles Morrow, brother of the late Governor Ed. Morrow.
Source: Old Houses of Lexington, C. Frank Dunn, typescript, n.d., copy located in the Kentucky Room, Lexington (Kentucky) Public Library.
Transcribed by pb, June 2006