WOOD - MCCAW HOUSE
St. Peter's School, 125 Barr
St. , Lexington,
Fayette County, Kentucky
Source: Old Houses of Lexington, C. Frank Dunn, typescript, n.d., copy located in the Kentucky Room, Lexington (Kentucky) Public Library.
Benj. C. Wood bought Lot No. 16 of the Robt. Barr sub-division, stating "90 feet on a new street," October 3, 1838, from Simon and Hyman Gratz of Philadelphia, Pa.
Wood and his wife, Susan Ann, sold "a certain house and lot with the outhouses and premises" May 12, 1842, to Judge Thos. M. Hickey, for $6,150. Judge Hickey died here, apparently, as he had sold "Coolavin" to James R. Sloan, and his widow reserved this fine home after giving to her heirs the various houses Judge Hickey owned elsewhere.
Catherine A. Hickey, the widow, sold this house "devised to her by Thos. M. Hickey," to John McCaw in May, 1852.
John McCaw presented the property to his daughter, Emma McCaw, in 1880.
This distinguished old home of some of Lexington's most prominent families is today serving as St. Peter's School.
Transcribed by pb, April 2006