Search billions of records on


REV WAR PENSION: Joshua Hitchcock, Floyd Co., KY

USGENWEB ARCHIVES NOTICE: These electronic pages may NOT be reproduced in any
format for profit or presentation by other organization or persons.
Persons or organizations desiring to use this material, must obtain
the written consent of the contributor, or the legal representative
of the submitter, and contact the listed USGenWeb archivist with proof
of this consent.
File contributed for use in USGenWeb Archives by
SUBMITTER: Marianne Hitchcock Smith
DATE: Mar 22, 1999

SURNAMES: Hitchcock
Joshua Hitchcock

Declaration in order to obtain this
benefit of this act of Congress passed June 7th 1832
State of Kentucky
County of Floyd. }SS.?
On this 7th day of December 1833 personally appeared before James Davis
one of the Justices of the peace in and for the said county of Floyd and
in virtue thereof one of the Justices of the county court of Floyd Joshua
Hitchcock aged 91 years who being first duly sworn according to law doth
on his Oath makes the following Declaration order to obtain the benefit
of the act of Congress passed June the 7th 1832.

That he entered the service of the United States under the following named
officers and served as herein stated. He first entered the service while
he resided in the county of Guilford, state of North Carolina about the
10th day of December (but in what year he is not able to recollect). He
met his company in the county of Rowan and under the command of Captain
Frost (Christian name I think was ?) as a drafted soldier for a tour of
3 months. He marched on with his company under the command of Captain Frost
to the town of Charlotte where Captain Frost with his company 4 or five
other companies is also being there when we halted and staid 3 or 4 days
waiting for General Rutherford to come on and march us on to cross the
North Carolina line. When General Rutherford came on and marched us on
over the line dividing North and South Carolina which we crossed on the
24th day of December to the best of his recollection. He entered in this
first tour as a militia soldier under the ? named Captain Frost who also
belonged to the militia of North Carolina. Colonel Andrew Hampton was the
commanding colonel of the militia. Major Dickson was the major--Lieutenant
? Hancock was the lieutenant. James Lay the ? sergeant and Charles Dougherty
the Sergeant of his (this applicants) company. Colonel Lytle and Captain
Lytle continental officers were also went along with us till we got to
Charleston when they (Colonel Lytle and Captain Lytle) left us. From the
North and South Carolina line we marched on to the town of Camden and crossed
the Waleree river ? and encamped and lay there several days about one mile
from the river. From this camp near the ? we marched on and crossed the
Congaree river, and we camped near the river at Colonel Thompsonís Mill
and lay there several days time not exactly recollected but we staid at
Colonel Thompsons mill he thinks about 7 or 8 days. From here he was marched
on by ? ? and on within 12 miles of Charleston South Carolina and lay there
3 or 4 days encamped in the woods. From here he was marched on to Dorchester
where we encamped for one night only. From Dorchester he was marched back
and on to Charleston and encamped in sight of the town of Charleston in
the woods at what nois called the Smokey camps where we staid about a month
or nearly so. Till on the 24th of February we entered Charleston, while
we were in Charleston we were in Charleston we were employed ? he was compelled
to stand continual hours at a time with an intermission of 2 hours most.
On the 24th of March after staying in Charleston one month he received
a discharge signed by Colonel Hampton which discharge has been lost thirty
years or more but in what manner it was lost he does not know.

One year from the September following after his first discharge he was
again drafted in the Militia of North Carolina about the first of the month
(September) but in what year he does not recollect. He still lived in Guilford
County North Carolina where he was drafted the second time which was for
a tour of 3 months. He met his company at Guilford Courthouse North Carolina
immediately after his his second draft where he arrived very early in the
month of September he thinks not later than the 2nd or 3rd say of the month.
He stayed at Guilford Courthouse 3 or 4 days waiting for the company to
assemble, when the company all assembled which was about the 5th of September
to the best of his recollection--Captain George? Stewart of the militia
took the command of the company, the name of the lieutenant of the company
not recollected. He thinks there was none. Sergeant David Waddle was the
Sergeant of the company. From Guilford courthouse he was marched on under
the command of Stewart within a few miles of Cross Creek where we met with
a company under the command of Captain Humphery. Some short time after
the companies under Captain Steward and Captain Humphrey we joined where
we were encamped. One night a messenger came on from General Rutherford
with orders to join him (General Rutherford) at headquarters on a small
branch in the woods near what place he does not recollect but not far from
Cross Creek. He marched our (the companies of Captain Stewart and Captain
Humphrey continuing together) till we joined General Rutherford and after
staying there one night he was marched on (General Rutherford having the
chief command) and marched over the country in different directions never
encamping more than two nights in one place. Waiting as he (this applicant
heard it there said) for artilling to arrive togo on an storm Wilmington
which was in the possession of ? SCotch troops. News came of the evacuation
of Wilmington and General Rutherford gave orders that such as wished to
do so might receive a discharge and return home. He then received a discharge
about the last of November or 1st of December the exact time he cannot
recollect for a tour of 3 months which was signed Captain George Stewart
and then went home to his residence in Guilford county North Carolina.

In his first tour he was in the service 3 months and 14 days and in the
second tour 3 months or within 3 or 4 days of that time. He has no documentary
evidence and he knows of no person whose testimony he can procure who can
testify to his service. He hereby relinquishes every claim what ever to
a person or annuity except the present and declares that his name is not
on the pension roll of the agency of any state.Sworn to and subscribed
this day and year aforesaid.

Joshua X Hitchcock
(X is his mark)

1. Where and on what year were you born?
Ans: I was born in or about the year 1742 or near that time though I cannot
recollect the year with entire certainty in Baltimore county, state of
Maryland where I lived till I was man grown.

2. Have you any record of your age and if so where is it?
Ans: I have no record of my age at this time. My father had a register
of my age when I left Maryland but what has become of it I do not know.
I only know my age from the best recollection I have. Being able having
never known how to write or read writing in my life.

3. Where were you living when called into service--where have you lived
since the Revolutionary War and where do you now live?
Ans: I lived in Guilford county North Carolina at the time I was first
called into the service both on my first and second tours. I lived in Guilford
county North Carolina for many years after the close of the Revolutionary
War, when I removed to Floyd county, Kentucky. From Floyd county I removed
to Whitley county KY and 3 or 4 years ago I removed back to Floyd county
KY, where I now reside.

4. How were you called into service, were you drafted, did you volunteer
or were you a substitute and if a substitute for whom?
Ans: I was drafted in both the tours I served. I never served as a volunteer
or a substitute.

5. State the names of ? of the regular officers who were with the troops
where you served--such continental and militia regiments as you can best
recollect and the general circumstances of your services.
Ans: I recollect no regular officers being with the troops where I served.
Colonel Sytle and Captain Sytle were there, Called Continental officers
were with the troops in during part of the second tour time in the ? my
first tour. I think Major Dickson who united as my major was in the first
tour was a Continental officer. The general circumstances of my service
are set forth in the above declaration but my memory has become so much
? by age and infinity that I cannot recollect all the circumstances of
my services.

6. Did you ever receive a discharge from the service and if so by whom
was it given and what has become of it?
Ans: I received 2 discharges one at the end of each of my tours both of
which have been lost for thirty years but where they was lost I do not
know. The first was signed by Captain Frost and the last by Captain Stewart.

7. State the names of persons whom you are known in your present neighborhood
and who can testify as to your charities for vera city and their belief
of your services as a soldier of the Revolution.
Ans: I will name the Reverend Ezekiel Stone and Samual Rice.
We Ezekiel Stone a clergyman residing in Floyd county State of Kentucky
in the neighborhood of the above Joshua Hitchcock and Samuel Rice residing
in the same hereby certify that we are well aquainted with Joshua Hitchcock
who has subscribed and sworn to the above declaration that we believe him
to be 91 years of age. That he is represented and believed in the neighborhood
where he resides to have been a soldier of the Revolution and they conceive
in that opinion. Sworn to and subscribed this day and year aforesaid.

Ezekiel Stone
Samuel Rice
(Their signatures)