Search billions of records on


to the

Fulton County Genealogical Society's
1st Annual Cemetery Walk

   Good evening ladies and gentlemen, on behalf of the Fulton County Genealogical Society, I would like to welcome you to the First Annual Cemetery Walk. You are standing in Fulton's Historic Fairview Cemetery. 
    The cemetery was first established in 1881, with its first burial in March of that year. The first acre of land bought for the cemetery was purchased wih the proceeds from a minstral show. 
   In 1885, two sections were added for the Colored population of the town. Another three sections were added in 1898 and a fourth in 1930. The cemetery now contains approximately 8-1/2 acres of ground, that houses some 4000 burials.
    Tonight, you will meet some of the more prominent people in our town, in their day and time. You will learn facts that you never knew and hear many an interesting story. Your guide will point out other interesting facts on your journey, we hope you enjoy your tour and ask plenty of questions.

Dr. Joseph Reed Luten
1843 - 1921

Portrayed by

John Birk, a Luten Descendant

Welcome neighbors. As you can see I am a Luten, Doctor Joseph Reed Luten.

   May I tell you a little about myself and my family. I suppose that I should really start with my parents. My father, who was also a doctor, was Samuel B. Luten. He was born in Bertee County, North Carolina. His family migrated over to Stewart County, Tennessee, where my grand-parents are buried. My mother, Mary Ann Hood Ashburn, was from Logan County, Kentucky. She came with her family to Hickman County, now Fulton County. They were marries in Hickman County and started their family at Moscow. Both my parents are buried at Rush Creek Cemetery near Cayce.

   I was one of eight children and was born just up the road at Moscow on March 6, 1843. I attended school at the Moscow Seminary and the Bell Forest Acadamy near Union City, Tennessee.  At the outbreak of the War Between the States, I was to young. In 1863, I enlisted in Faulkner's Regiment under Captain H. A. Tyler of Forrest's Cavalry. Most of you have heard of General Forrest. He was in this section of the country off and on, and went as far north as Paducah, Kentucky. On June 15, 1864, I was captured by the Federals in Florence, Alabama. Not long after he was paroled, returning home, when in the following year he went to Louisville to study medicine.

   In 1866-67, I went to Philadelphia to the Jefferson Medical College and I later attended Louisiana State University, now called Tulane, where I received my diploma. At this time I returned to Western Kentucky and settle in the Wesley community north of here. I started my medical practice there and stayed until 1875.

   I married Sarah Catherine "Kate" Browder in September 1868. She is the grand-daughter of Isham Browder, a Revolutionary War Veteran. He is buried in a family plot on West State Line and is one of only two Revolutionary War Soldier buried in Fulton Co.

   Kate and I pondered for quite some time and finally decided to move to Fulton in 1875. We have a house at Third and Carr Streets, not far from the old Fulton Hospital.  We have been blessed with four childen: Samuel David, Mary, Wiley Reed and Horace.

   I became active in the community and political affairs. I am a Democrat and in 1881 was elected to the Kentucky Legislature from Fulton and Hickman Counties. I am an active member of the Methodist Church and the masonic fraternity. From 1877 until 1915 I was the surgeon for the Illinois Central Railroad.

   My beloved Kate died in 1903 and is buried here in Fairview Cemetery. Many of our family is buried at Rush Creek Cemetery, but Fulton has been our home for some time now.

   Mrs. Lily Adams, a widow, and I became acquianted and were married in 1905. It seemed to be a surprise to many of our friend, but those of Fulton gave us their blessings. Several newspapers published the news of our matrimony. We left for Louisville on our honeymoon and also attended the annual Confederate Veterans Reunion.

   When I retired in 1910, my son Dr. Horace Luten took over my practice, which was located on the second floor of what is now Evans Drug Co. on Lake Street.

   My death came in 1921 at the age of 78 and as you can see, I am buried next to my first wife and mother of my children, Kate.

   Along the way to our next stop, we will pass a number of interesting spots in the cemetery. On your right, the first of these is the grave of Lt. Charles Smith (1899-1926). Lt. Smith was a member of the 35th Division Air Service of the Missouri National Guard. He died in an airplane crash at Lambert Field in St. Louis. His friend, Charles Lindbergh, also a member of the Missouri National Guard, flew over Fulton on Memorial Day and dropped hundreds of American roses on Charles Smith's grave.

   Next, on your left, is Potter's Field. Potter's Field is defined as a free burial place for strangers, criminals and persons who are too poor to pay burial expenses. Of the nearly 1000 unmarked graves in Fairview Cemetery, most, no doubt lie in this section. Over the years there have been many people killed along the railroad. People just passing through. People whom no one knew. They too are probably buried in Potter's Field.

Moses Patton
1880 - 1955
Portrayed by
Percey Lee

Grandson of the Pattons

Susie Patton
1878 - 1931
Portrayed by
Jacquelin "Miss Hunne" 
   This is a good day in Fulton, KY.  I hope you enjoy this visit with us. I lived a good life in Fulton but the day came when this tombstone was placed here to tell the world that I, Moses Profit Patton, had passed thru the veil into the next world.

   I am the son of Bob and Georgean Patton. My mother, Georgie” was born in Tennessee in 1854.  Dad was born in Tennessee about 1855.  This was before Mr. Lincoln’s Emancipation Proclamation.  I was born in 1879 in Whitesville, Tennessee, District #3 of Fayette County, in cotton country, northeast of Memphis.  We were a small family, unusual for the time.  My one sister was Elmira who later married a minister, Jake Harris.

   I grew up learning to work hard in order to live well.  I traveled north to Fulton and meet & married the beautiful Susan Roberts of Weakley Co., TN. We married here in Fulton on June 28, 1900.   My Susie was a few months older than me but that never mattered a bit.  She was the 2nd oldest of 6 girls.  Her sisters were Oakley, Rebecca called “Bacey”, Ella who married a Tansil, and Jesse who married Mr. Carson.

   I was known as “Poppa Patton”.  I worked for the Illinois Central Railroad.  If you look to the Northeast you can see the Railroad Yard.  Later I was janitor for the Orpheam Theatre here in Fulton.  You know that they tore that wonderful old building down.  Sometimes progress just isn’t progress!

   Susie and I had 10 children.  We all believed in working hard in order to live well.  While I was working on the railroad, Susie stayed busy with the children and keeping our home.  Later she put her energy into the family business which she started.  It was the “Playhouse Café, Sweet Shop and Boarding House.” We worked very hard through the years.  In 1931, my beautiful Susie passed on and was laid to rest here.  At the time, this cemetery was segregated into a white section and a Colored section. 

   Time came when  Mose, Jr., known as Bro. Spry, my son took over the Playhouse with his brother Russell.  He moved down the street later, opened a new café called “Lauretta’s Grill and Lounge.”  It also was lively with  popular bands from the area. 

   My daughter Alberta (known as Bert) started the “Flame Café”.  Later she and her sister Lucille, or Lou as we called her, opened the “Club Topadora”  Live bands also often played there in its heyday .

   Mose Jr. was an astute businessman.  He owned a colored motel called “Jack & Spry’s Motel.”  This was before we were allowed to stay in white motels.  In other words, it was during segregation in this country.  Mose Jr. started “Jackie’s Dairette” where the black teenagers could hang out.  He owned the grocery called “Me & and Sister’s Grocery”.  His daughter, Jackie, and Laura Patton Daniel were the  operators.  Everyone calls Jackie “Miss Hon.”  Mose Jr. bought property formally known as “The Chicken Shack”,  he renamed it “The Equator”  This was on Kentucky street and on this same property a Bar B Que pit operated.  Jack and Mose Jr. operated this until later Aunt Lue took over.

   Oh yes, Mose Jr. owned a slaughter house in So. Fulton, a funeral home called “National Funeral Parlor” – this was on Holder street.  He had several rental properties in both Fulton and So. Fulton.  Most of the businesses  were located on Burns Street.  Mose Jr. never forgot his family.  It was a pleasure seeing him help the younger ones as well as other people of color in town.

   I’ve talked a lot about my son Mose, Jr. but I’m equally proud of all of my children.  Susie and I gave each of our babies a formal name but they all picked up nicknames and went through life by those nicknames. 
   As I’ve already mentioned, Mose, Jr. was known as Bro Spry.
   Lee Andrew was called Pat.
   Robert was known as Bear
   Russell went by Rus
   Nathaniel was known as HoBo
   Everyone called Joseph, J.B.
   Alberta’s named was shortened to Bert.  She married a Sullivan
   Naoma was shortened to Nay.  She married a Scott
   Lucille was know as Luc
   Wootsie was the nickname given to the baby, Lavern.

   My family, of which I’m so proud, worked very, very hard.  We and others enjoyed a good life and good food, homemade desserts, Bar-B-Q, good music, dancing, much fun.  It was a good life in Fulton.  Thanks for visiting us this evening.  God Bless You.

   Next along the trail between stops, we come to the graves of two peple that lived in Fulton and made important contributions to the community.

   First, on your left, is the grave of our very own Harry Potter (1886-1959). Harry was born in Preacher's Mill, Montgomery Co., Tennessee. He came to Fulton in 1893, was a World War I Veteran and worked as a caller for the Illinois Central Railroad. He was married to Fate Buck and lived at 308 Fifth Street.

   Right next to Harry, is the grave of Paul DeMyer (1887-1951). He was a groceryman whose store was on Commercial Avenue, across from where Dan Nix's insurance office is today. He was elected major in 1887 and served in that post until 1951. His wife was Luna French who was killed in an auto accident at the intersection of Carr and Fourth Streets. She preceded her husband in death by about 4 months. 

Mott Ayres
1871 - 1917

Portrayed by

Prof. Walter D. Haden


 Good evening ladies and gentlemen
    The name is Mott Ayres.  I’m a newspaperman.  Born on November 17, 1871, just across the state line in Obion Co., TN.  My father S. B. Ayres, was a prominent citizen of Obion Co.  Father and my mother, Mary (Marie) Mott, were married about 1870 in Obion Co.  I’m their first born and the only son.

   I had a typical upbringing with nothing newsworthy until my teens.  In 1888, I traveled all the way to Virginia to enter the Bethel Military Academy.  My formal education concluded in New York at the New York Military Academy.   A year out of the Academy, it is said that I was the most talented and posted man for my age in this end of the state.  I’m assuming they were talking about Kentucky since my home is in Fulton.

   Opportunity presented itself to an enterprising young man such as my self and I found my way to the heart of Tennessee.  Being somewhat literarily inclined I occupied a position with the reportorial staff with the Nashville Banner.  If I do say so, I was a great credit to myself and my employers.

   Being mindful of advancement, I traveled to the great state of Missouri and the metropolis of St. Louis.  There I became a popular editorial writer for the St. Louis Chronicle.  I hope I don’t sound too braggadocious but my services were greatly in demand. 

   My love for Fulton brought me home.  I went to work on the Fultonian Democrat and became its editor in 1895.  Here in Fulton, I met Elder J. N. Hall, a noted Baptist preacher of the area.  However, it wasn’t as much his preaching that gained my attention, but his daughter, Beulah.  After a proper and well chaperoned courtship, we wed.  Our bliss was dimmed when our first child, a son, died in infancy.  He rests eternally next to us.  Our little angel, Mary, died at the age of 10.  Our daughter Inez, fooled the grim reaper and grew to adulthood, married, and gave us grandchildren.

   The dark clouds of war descended on this great country again.  Because the patriotic populace was hungry for news about the Spanish-American War, I established a newspaper to keep them abreast of current happenings.  Thus was born the Fulton Leader, my pet.  The world was changing rapidly as the century mark approached.  I did my professional best to keep this growing town in the know.  As editor, I also was very vocal about certain aspects of the times and I must admit, I did step on a few toes.  A few times, I think I “stomped” the whole foot.  I was, am, and always will be a Democrat.

   In May, 1903, the black shroud of death again descended upon my loving home.  Beaulah, my young, vibrant wife, died of appendicitis. She was only 28 years young when she passed away in our residence.  She was one of the most prominent ladies of  Fulton.  On the day of her funeral, every business house in Fulton closed out of respect for this wonderful woman.  Her funeral procession was the most elaborate ever seen here.

   Life must go on!  I continued publishing the Fulton Leader.  Community affairs were an important part of each day.  I was an active member of the Baptist Church.  The Elks Lodge # 1142 of Fulton (you remember the log cabin) provided fraternal companionship and good works.  I served as a member and Past Master of Roberts Lodge F & A M.  My work was not limited to this town.  I served a term as State Fire Marshal, was a member of the Kentucky Prison Commission, and held other minor offices.

   I continued to express my thoughts in the Fulton Leader but in 1913, after 14 years at its helm, I sold my beloved paper.  Shortly thereafter, I moved to Laurel, Mississippi.  There I was manager of the Gleauer Newspaper.  Well versed on all the political issues of that time, I continued to do what I knew best: inform the public through my writings.  I spent 4 years in Mississippi but in 1917 was called to meet my maker.

   Because Fulton was always my home, my earthly remains were returned here.  Many things were said about me but the words I revere were in print in my obituary – that I was “brave, generous, manly, with  the soul of honor, and held sacred my friends and friendships.”

   Before our next stop we will encounter two monuments to the men and women who fought in two of this areas great wars.

   The first is the Confederate Monument, erected through the efforts of the ladies of the United Daughters of the Confederacy, Col. Ed Crossland Chapter, in 1902. At the dedication of the monument, the statue at the top had not arrived in Fulton. John T. Stubblefield, Commander of the James G. Pirlte Camp of the United Confederate Veterans, was placed atop the arch for picture taking, with a Confederate flag in his hand. The monument is on the National Register of Historic Places.

   The second monument is in honor of those men from Fulton County that died or were killed in World War II. It contains a list of the names of those men. 

Virginia "Jennie" Collins
1840 - 1908

Portrayed by

Beth Jones

   Ladies and Gentlemen, it is so very nice to see you here at Fairview tonight. You know we don’t get too many visitors out here these days so it’s a real genuine pleasure to see you. I do hope you will enjoy your visit. 

   But goodness me.  I must mind my manners.  You don’t know who I am so I need to introduce myself and tell you a little bit about me.   I am “Miss” Jennie Collins, wife of James Alfonzo Collins but I think first I’m going to tell you about my husband who lies right here beside me. I’ll talk about me later. 

   Fon…we always called him that..was the love of my life. Although we dearly loved children, sadly we never had any to bless our home so we were very close. Just the two of us   Fon was born over in Graves County in 1836.  His parents were Jeremiah and Amanda (Dupree) Collins from Middle Tennessee and there was a younger brother named Alonzo D. Collins. They were close in age, just two years apart and they were never called Alfonzo and Alonzo; it was always Lon and Fon. Some people thought they were twins, but, of course, they weren’t. 

   Do y’all know the building on Lake Street where Sammy Haddad and his wife had a store a few years back?  You know the one I’m talking about? .It’s empty now.. Some of you may even remember way back when it used to be Baldridge’s Dime Store. Well, Lon and Fon had a general store there on that corner.  It was a three story brick building, very handsome. There was a porch around the front of the building on the second and third floors and had beautiful railings. It was always known to the local people as the Collins Building. Some years after it was built there was a fire and the top floor was lost.  (could we show picture of building?) What remains there today unfortunately looks nothing like the original. It really does make me sad to think about it. 

   But I digress.  Back to my Fon.  We were married 1 September 1859 in Graves County Kentucky. We had two wonderful years together.

   Then that awful war between the North and the South broke out. Those were dark days in this area. At the beginning Fon was in the Ky State Guards.  He was a 1st Lt in the Feliciana Invincibles in Graves Co., KY.This was in May 1861. He was so handsome in his uniform. 

   Then in September 1861 he enlisted in Co. A, 7th KY Regiment, Confederate States Army. I was so proud of him. . I’ve heard, though I’m not sure it’s true, that only one man from Fulton County enlisted in the Union Army. The rest in the Confederate Army. Well, not too many months later in April 1862 his regiment  was at the Battle of Shiloh down in Tennessee (Did theBoy Scouts go to Shiloh?)That was such a terribly bloody battle and the casualties were high on both sides. The final number of dead or missing, I believe, was 13,000 on the Union side and 10,500 on the Confederate side. In that battle Fon received wounds serious enough that he came home for three months to recuperate .At the same time his brother Lon was wounded in the left leg so badly that he was discharged from further service. 

   Unfortunately the wrong side won the Battle of Shiloh. I guess you know what I mean by that but I probably shouldn’t have said it. We really need to let bygones be bygones, don’t we?  Well, I won’t go into all his war records, but I do want to say that Fon re-entered service after Shiloh and at one time served under that wonderful General Nathan Bedford Forrest.. Finally Fon, along with his unit, surrendered at Memphis in 1865, was paroled and returned home. The war was over at last. 

   And, now a little about me.  I was born Virginia Ann Taylor 23 April 1840  to William Taylor and his wife Rebecca Roberts. I’m not sure but I believe I was born in Weakley Co., TN . I know it was up around Dukedom. You know that’s on the State Line. Most people just called me “Jennie”. My father was a native of Logan Co., Ky and my mother a native of Chesterfield Co., VA

   By 1850 my family had moved to Graves Co, KY and were living in the Feliciana precinct where my father was a tavern keeper. I had several brothers and sisters..Lou, Edmund, Levi and Henry. I have forgotten the exact date’s been so long ago… but my father died somewhere between 1850 and 1860 and my mother became head of the family. 

   With my father deceased, I hated to move so far away from my mother but in 1860  I moved to Mayfield with my new husband. You know it was probably 20 miles at least up there. One of his brothers also came to live with us at that time and they were in the mercantile business.

   It wasn’t until after the war in Feb 1867 that Fon and I came to live in Fulton Station. You know that’s what Fulton used to be called back then.  At that time he was in the dry goods business with his brother Lon and I was a home maker. By 1900 we were living on Lake Street.  You know there used to be places to live up above the stores. 

   After the war life was good to Fon and me in Fulton but neither of us ever forgot the conflict that had almost torn our country apart. Most of all we always remembered those gallant men and boys who fought and died for a cause they believed in.  When someone proposed a statue be erected to the memory of those Confederate soldiers in Fairview Cemetery I knew I must help. 

The following was written about me in the 
January 31, 1908 
Death of Mrs. Fon. Collins. 
   On Sunday night at eight o’clock, Jan. 26th, 1908, Mrs. Jennie Taylor Collins, the wife of Mr. Fon. Collins died at her residence in Fulton. Though Mrs. Collins had been ill for many months, and her recovery despaired of, still her death came as a great blow to her relatives and numerous friends. 
   The burial took place Tuesday at noon, under the auspices of the Confederate Veterans and the local chapter of the Daughters of the Confederacy with the Revs. W. A. Freeman and Reed in charge. 
   The Confederate Veterans marched in a body to the cemetery, almost the entire camp, with one or two exceptions being present, besides Gen. Henry Tyler, Major H. S. Hale, Capt. Henry George, Col. Tom George and other distinguished veterans from a distance. 
   A most unusual scene took place at the grave when the roll of the Camp was called, and after answering to their names, the veterans spoke in memory of the absent member, Mrs. Jennie Collins and her remarkable heroism during the Civil War. Many a veteran spoke of her courage in following her husband even on the battlefields of Shiloh, Corinth and other places and testified that to her gentle administrations as a nurse while they lay sick and wounded, that they owe their lives. 
   In the cemetery at Fulton stands a beautiful arch, surmounted with the statue of a Confederate soldier, which was erected to the memory of the Confederate dead through the efforts of Mrs. Collins principally. In the shadow of this monument to the cause which she loved so well, rests the body of Mrs. Jennie Taylor Collins, awaiting the bugle call, which shall come to all those who have "fallen asleep" from beyond the pearly gates.

   Now, wasn’t that a nice article they wrote about me in the paper? I was so pleased when I read it and I know Fon would have been too. . 

Well, I hope you’ve enjoyed your visit and please come back any time. You’re  always welcome. 

   Addition from BACKWARD GLANCE, vol 1, .p 52. “Jennie Collins went with her husband all through the war.  In her possession she carried a fine-toothed comb which she loaned to soldiers for them to comb the lice from their hair. The comb finally was worn completely out.”   Story was told by Mrs. Mattie Royster who was a niece of Jennie Collins. 
Ibid, p. 47  That night Mr. Collins gave an elaborate ball in the Mason Hall which was on the third floor of his store and lasted all night. 

p. 51  The three story Collins building in which Dimeco Variety Store is located, was the most luxurious store of its kind anywhere in the community.  The first floor was occupied by a dry goods store, the second by the family and the third was used as a Masonic meeting hall. 

W. W. Meadows
1846 - 1914

Portrayed by

Fulton Mayor
Eddie Crittendon

   Ladies and gentlemen, it is so nice to see you here this evening.  I hope you’re enjoying your visit and now let me introduce myself. I am William W. Meadows, perhaps best known as having been the owner of the Meadows Hotel here in Fulton but we will get to that later. 

   I was born in Dickson Co, TN in 1846.  My parents were Ephraim G. and Jane (Thompson) Meadows.  Some time before 1860 my family moved to Weakley Co., TN.  I attended school there and then after the Civil War I attended Bryant and Stratton Commercial College graduating in 1871. 

   After my graduation from college I was briefly in the mercantile business in Gardner, TN and then moved to Fulton in March 1873 where I did very well financially. I had half interest in the store of Fall & Meadows as well as owning a block of stores, houses and lots and 100A of farm land. 

   March 12, 1878, I married the beautiful Miss Jodie Beard, a native of Louisiana and the daughter of the Rev. Thomas L. and Elizabeth Beard. My father-in-law a Methodist minister, served as the organizing minister for the Methodist Church in Fulton from 1870-1873. It was not a long marriage for sadly Jodie died 22 Jan 1886, leaving me a widower with a young son Paul who was only seven at the time

   In 1892 I married a second time to Miss Linnie Mitchell who was some 23 years younger than myself having been born in January 1870. Linnie and her sister Cammie were the children of A. T. Mitchell who came to Fulton about 1883 from Middletown, KY  and organized what was then known as the Fulton Bank.Not to be confused with a later  Fulton Bank. In April 1893 Linnie and I became the parents of a daughter Mary. 

   Not too many years after my second marriage, I moved my business from Lake Street across the railroad where I had erected a building which encompassed the whole block from the corner of Main and Church Street (now Commercial Avenue.) to the State Line. The ground floor housed various businesses and the third floor was the Meadows Hotel, a popular stopping place with traveling men with 100 guest rooms.  Then on the first of December 1900 the building burned Undaunted we rebuilt and were back in business in a three story structure by September 1901.

   Not too many years later in 1907 marital problems developed in the Meadows household and unfortunately became front page news in the Fulton paper. The article which had been picked up by the MAYFIELD MESSENGER read, “Fulton was given another sensation Thursday when it was made known that W. W Meadows had filed suit against Rev. Frank Morton Hawley for $100,000 for real and punitive damages as the outgrowth of the Meadows-Hawley troubles, says the FULTON LEADER.  In his petition Mr. Meadows asserts that the defendant did willfully and with wicked intent alienate the love, confidence and affections of his wife thereby making him an unhappy man.  Continuing, Mr. Meadows says that he and his wife were married 16 years ago and that until 18 months or two yeas ago when Hawley came here, their married life was happy and his wife devoted to him and their 15 year old daughter.” 

   Not long after this article came out in the paper the Rev. Hawley left town not to be heard from again.  Linnie and I continued in our marriage for a short time before she became ill and went to St. Louis where she stayed with her sister and brother-in-law, T. H. and Cammie Lovelace  In the Spring of 1908 after an illness of more than a year. Linnie died at St. Luke’s Hospital in St. Louis. She was buried in North Middleton, KY.

   In November 1908 tragedy again struck my family. My son Paul from my first marriage died on the 9th of that month of brain fever after only being ill a few days.  Today, I suppose brain fever would be called meningitis or encephalitis. He was only 28 years old. 

   Linnie’s death in early 1908 had left me a widow with son Paul and daughter Mary who was born in April 1893. In 1910 at the young age of 17 Mary married Aubrey Seay of South Fulton, TN, the son of Lon and Mary Seay. 

   In 1913 I began to think about my own death and decided it was time to make my will which I did in October of that year. It may seem strange but I specified  that Mary should never live in the Meadows Hotel nor manage or operate it as long as she was married.  If widowed, or legally separated from her husband this clause should become void. 

   If you will look on the front of the vault, you will see a wreath of flowers. In my will I also specified that the interest from the money owed me by the City of Fulton be used for the purpose of keeping my vault in repair and buying flowers and after my daughter’s death that duty pass absolutely and entirely to council and mayor of City of Fulton. As you can see, my wishes to this day are still being carried out. I further stated that the remains of my daughter be interred in my fault here in Fairview Cemetery together with those of her husband and bodily heirs if any. Unfortunately my wishes regarding my daughter were not carried out and I do not know where she is buried. Those here in the vault besides myself are my first wife Jodie and my son Paul. 

   As some of you may know, Battle Creek, Michigan is a well known health center and it was there that I died.  My body was returned to Fulton where my interment took place 1 April 1914. 

   The name Meadows, once well-known in Fulton, begin to die out after the great fire destroyed the Meadows block a second time on a Sunday morning in the winter of 1933. Perhaps the fire would not have been so destructive but someone failed to close a fire door and the flames spread throughout the whole building. Fire trucks came from Martin, Union City, Paducah and Mayfield to no avail. The only part of the building that was spared is that used by an auto parts store today. However, salvaged from the building were a few bricks which now make up the chimney of the Scout Cabin on Vine Street here in Fulton. 

   With that, I’ll end my story. I hope you’ve enjoyed your visit and come back any time.  Those of us here do like to be remembered. 

   Next along your journey you will come upon the grave of George I. McFall, who, according to a 1931 newspaper article, was the first person buried in the new cemetery. There were no hearses at that time, so the body was brought to the cemetery in a wagon drawn by two horses.
   George I. McFall was the great grandfather of Arch Huddleston, who we all remember from his days at the hardware store on Main Street. Mr. McFall built a house in 1849, just off the Fulton-Water Valley Highway, now occupied by Mrs. Joe (Jennie) Holland.

Benjamin Carr
1768 - 1845

Portrayed by

Dr. Greg Cox

   Good evening ladies and gentlemen, my name is Ben Carr. I am the son of Jonathan Carr and Patiemce Turner of North Carolina. The family moved to Sampson Co., North Carolina by 1786 and there in 1801, he married Anne Snell. They moved to Rutherford Co., Tennessee in the early 1800's and raised there family there.

   Ben purchased his first land in Hickman (later Fulton) County in the 1820's. He received five land grants, totalling 800 acres. At one time he owned 1100 acres in the Fulton area, including all of thge land where west and north Fulton now stand. He erected the first building in the community, a log cabin in 1828 on College Street, across the street from this cemetery.

   Ben Carr, Jr., farmer , merchant and trader, was active in the promotion of Fulton. He and Emerson Bruce Eddings owned a mercantile store in the mid and late 1800's. In 1856 he deeded land for the first railroad in this area, a great help in the growth of this community. The family also donated land on which to build the First Christian and First Baptist Churches.

   The Carr name is carried by one of Fulton's principal streets, a cemetery, Carr Park, and the elementary school was built on land given by the Carrs and was known as "Carr Institute". Ben, Jr. built his home at 2nd and Eddings Streets in 1858 and his son William Turner Carr built his home in 1898 at 2nd and Park Streets.

Rupert "Fatty " Barber

1900 - 1931

Portrayed by

Michael Gossum
Great grand-nephew

   As you can see on my tombstone I am Rupert Carl Barber. I have no idea why I was given that name as there are no other Rupert or Carls in the family and only my mother ever called me that.  To everyone else I was “Fatty” Barber. 

   First, I’ll tell you a little bit about my parents.  My father was William Leonard Barber and my mother was Nomie Helen Harris. They were both born over in Calloway County.  Nomie was born at Hazel. You may have heard of that place.  That’s where they sell a lot of antiques today. They were married over there the 23 Dec 1897 when my mother was 19 and my father was 25. He was a carpenter and she was a housewife. 

   By 1900 William Leonard and Nomie had moved to Fulton and I had been born.  My tombstone only says I was born in 1900.  Actually, it was the first of May 1900. When they took the Fulton county census in that year, do you know how I am listed?  Well, would you believe my parents hadn’t named me and I show up as “no name Barber” At that time we were living on Maple Avenue in East Fulton next door to my Harris grandparents. Of course East Fulton didn’t look then like it does now. It was a real nice place to grow up. 

   Ok.  Now, about my siblingsof which there were four.  I was the first born. Then came my sister Mazie Olinda.  Some of you might remember her. She married Felix Gossum who worked over here behind me in the old IC railroad yards as a clerk and Mazie worked at Irby’s Ladies Store which was in the same block as the Fulton library is now.  They lived on the corner of Third and College Street in a house Felix’s mother Belle Gossum bought in the early 1900’s.  Both Felix and Mazie are buried over here across the road in Greenlea Cemetery. 

   Then there was Claudis Marie. She married Dillard Lowery from down in West Tennessee and left Fulton.  They lived in Mayfield where Dillard had a shoe store on the court square. The family joke was the BIG discount he gave to family members.  It was all of 10%. They’re both deceased and are buried in Highland Park Cemetery in Mayfield.  Dillard and Claudis had no children. . 

   Next came Ira Harris.  Poor little guy.  He only lived from April 1907 to 16 Oct 1909. I don’t know why he died or where he’s buried.  Probably out here somewhere in Fairview without a stone. 

   Last of my siblings was Catherine Monette.  She married Harry Fields DeZonia and moved to Memphis, TN. They lived there all their married life and reared two boys but Harry Fields and Monette were both brought back to Fulton to be buried.  If you’ll look over there to my right you’ll see their tombstone.  My Aunt Hattie Lovelace and her husband Uncle John Lovelace, are buried on the other side of me. It’s all family right here together. 

   Both my parents William Leonard and Nomie (Harris) Barber are also buried in Fairview. He died in 1927 and she died in 1965. If you look on the table, you can see a picture of them when they were young. There’s also pictures of Claudis and Dillard and Mazie and Felix. 

   Now back to me, Fatty Barber.  As I said earlier I was born 1 May 1900. I went to school at Terry Norman.  Probably a lot of you don’t remember that school.  It was up on the hill at the end of Walnut Street in East Fulton and only went to the sixth grade.  After that you had to walk all the way across town to Carr Institute. I’m sure you all know where that is only today they call it Carr Elementary.  I never did know why they changed the name. Maybe some of you do. 

   After graduation from high school I went to work for the railroad as a yard clerk. same as my brother-in-law Felix Gossum. 

   I was 26 years old before I met and fell in love with a good looking girl named Evelyn Donella Coulter who came here from Arkansas.  She was born in Little Rock in 1905. We were married 19 June 1926 by Rev. C. Boyd, rector of Trinity Episcopal Church here in Fulton. 

   After that, things went well for about 4-5 years.  In 1930 when the census was taken life was good and we were living on the corner of Vine and Jackson Streets in East Fulton in a house which is still there and was owned by my mother Nomie Barber, now a widow. The rent we paid her was a huge $27.50 a month.  She lived in another house she owned right behind the one where we lived. At this time Evelyn and I had two sons. One was Rupert Carl Barber Jr. b 30 Aug 1927 and then there was a younger son William B. Barber born 1928 who died in infancy.

   And then came the event that was to end my life. I had gone to work on Sunday the 30 August 1931. Somehow or other I lost some of my checking bills and about 3:30 a.m. went looking for them. I was walking down the tracks just south of the passenger station on the viaduct leading to the south main line. At that time I was struck from behind by a cut of cars which had been kicked loose from Cuban Dispatch train No. 3.

   Walter Hill, who worked at the station, reached me in a few minutes after the accident and with the help of Homer Furlong and Clyde Omar carried me to the Fulton Hospital. My left leg and arm were so badly crushed that it was necessary to amputate. Not long after the surgery the doctors decided I needed a transfusion and dozens of Illinois Central employees and others came forward to give blood.  None was found to match until Bailey Huddleston , then Fulton chief of police, was examined. What was unusual about this was in the preceding year I had given blood to Chief Huddleston when he was in the hospital in Paducah after having his throat slit while trying to make an arrest here in Fulton.  Despite the blood transfusion I died about 11 p.m. that night.

   Not long after my death my wife and son moved back to Little Rock, Arkansas to be with family members. My sister Mazie and other family members went on the train to Little Rock once to see Evelyn and Rupert Jr but then lost touch with  them after that. 

   When my mother Nomie died in1965, every effort was made to locate my son so he could inherit his share of her estate.  However, he was not located at that time and his share was divided among the other heirs. 

   It was not until last year that Rupert Carl Barber Jr. was finally located.  Thanks to that new fangled invention they call a computer which wasn’t around when I was living, a family member found him.  He had died 5 Aug 2000 in Santa Barbara, California. I wish I knew more about by son, what he was like, if he had a family, if he remembered me at all, and things like that but right now I only know he died in California. 

   My life was short, but it was good, and I’m glad my final resting place is here in Fairview Cemetery. It’s a lovely, peaceful place and I thank you for stopping by. 

   Oh yes, the family tradition of railroading continues in my  great grandniece Sara Gossum who works for the Burlington Northern and Santa Fe Railroad.

   Further down the road, we come to the headstone of Noah Norman. He was born in Rockingham Co., North Carolina in 1800, the son of Charles and Elizabeth (Dodd) Norman. From Nashville in 1828 he moved to what was called Fulton Station and bought 50 acres of land. Between 1836 and 1846 he acquired some 1000 acres and at one time owned all of East Fulton, which was known as the Norman Addition.
   Norman Street in East Fulton (now Martin Luther King Drive) was named for Noah. Cedar Street was named after a tree his mother had planted in her front yard, but had to have it cut down when Norman Addition was laid out.

Trudy Thompson
1939 - 2001

Portrayed by

Pat Frazier

   Good evening friends.  I remember many of you.  It’s so good to see you out on this beautiful, but warm, fall evening.  For those of you who do not know me, I’m Trudy Thompson.  I was christened Gertrude Anna Thompson, daughter of Anna Margaret Culton and Francis Abe Carr Thompson.  Earlier this evening, you heard about Ben Carr, one of my ancestors.  “Gertrude” is such a mouthful and it wasn’t long after I was born that my family started calling me Trudy. 

   Trudy is such a friendly, fun name – don’t you think?  I was born right here in Fulton – in the spring, April 29, 1939.  Even though I was born here, I grew up in Paducah, Kentucky where Dad worked for Kentucky Utilities. I attended high school at Paducah Tilghman and graduated in 1957.  That fall, I became a member of the freshman class at the University of Kentucky, the alma mater of both my parents.  I studied home economics and received my BS in 1961. My mother and her sister were both home economists right here in Fulton.   In 1962 I went to northern Kentucky, to Falmouth, in Pendleton Co. to work as an extension home economist.  I did this for 2 years.  My lifelong interest in textiles and crafts led me to the University of Tennessee in Knoxville.  There I studied and practiced my craft and in 1966 received a Masters degree in Related Arts and Crafts. Also in 1966 my family moved back to Fulton.  Dad was the 5th generation to reside on the family farm and I also made the farm my home.  Even though I hold degrees from both Kentucky and Tennessee, I’m a “Wildcat” fan and was a lifetime member of the University of KY Alumni Association.   My family were such avid UK fans that at my mother’s funeral service we softly played “On on U of K”

   I felt so blessed to be able to combine my love of weaving with my vocation.  I soon became recognized as a craftsman in spinning and weaving.  In 1967, I was admitted as an exhibiting member of the KY Guild of Artists and Craftsmen.  Then in 1968 I became a member of the Southern Highland Handicraft Guild.   I served as a Crafts Consultant for the KY Dept. of Commerce, Also I was the Administrative Assistant at Arrowmont School of Crafts in Gatlinburg, TN and at one time was the manager for the Southern Highland Handicraft Guild in Blowing Rock, NC.  My craft has always been a mainstay of my life but I’ve been interested in other things too.  For 4 years I was a librarian at the University of Tennessee at Martin.  Genealogy was also an interest and I was an organizing member of Jacob Flournoy Chapter of the National Society of the Daughters of the American Revolution.  I also served as regent for them.  If you’re not familiar with the term it’s the same as “president”. That group is still active here in Fulton.  I was a member of the Fulton Friends of the Library.  My home church was the First United Methodist Church here in Fulton.  I sang in the Cancel Choir.  The threads of my life were woven into a tapestry  in Fulton and here I remain.

   The last stop on this tour of the history of Fulton, is at the grave of Betty Louise Reed, better known as "Boo" Reed. She was the daughter of Dr. C. W. Curlin, who moved from Hickman to Fulton in 1932 and opened the Curlin Neill Hospital located in the same block of Carr Street as Hornbeak Funeral Home.

   She married Clarence Reed, who was associated with Fall and Fall Insurance Co.

   She wrote and published many a short story for many of the magazines here in this country, as well as, England, Denmark and Holland. She wrote under the pen name of Curlin Reed for the Saturday Evening Post and Scribner's Magazine. A collection of her stories was recently put in book form and a copy can be found at the Fulton Public Library.

   I know it seems like a long time ago when you started this tour; however, we hope you enjoyed yourself and that you learned a lot of Fulton history. On behalf of the Fulton County Genealogical Society, we would like to thank you very much for your attendance and hope you will come back when we have the next walk through the past.

See you next year


Return to top of page

Go to Main Menu