About Garrard County
Garrard County was formed on December 17, 1796 from portions of Madison, Lincoln, and Mercer Counties.
It was Kentucky's 25th county and named for Governor James Garrard. It is located in the bluegrass region
of the state. In 1990, the county population was 11,579 in a land area of 231 square miles, an average of
50.1 people per square mile. The county seat is Lancaster.
Lancaster, the seat of Garrard county, was founded in 1797 and named for Lancaster, Pennsylvania.
The Lancaster Court House post office opened in 1801 (the name was later shortened).
The population in 1990 was 3,421.
This area was settled because of its closeness to the Wilderness Road. The first station was that of William Miller. James Smith's station followed in 1779 near Bryantsville. James and John Downing's station on Sugar Creek was opened in 1779. Humphrey's Best Canebreak station was here in 1779-1790, and Zophar Carpenter's station near Suck Fork (not confirmed). Will Grant established a station in 1784 on Hickman's Creek. Lewis Craig from Upper Spotsylvania, Virginia, The Traveling Church, relocated here 1780-1781.