A Bit of History
- Johnson County, the nineteenth
county in order of formation was created in 1843 and was
named for Richard M. Johnson.
- Paintsville, established as a
town by an act of the Kentucky General Assembly in 1834,
was chosen as the county seat.
- Local legend has it that by the
seventeenth century, present day Johnson County may have
been inhabited by the Totero Indians.
- In 1938, a WPA crew, under the
supervision of archeological teams from the
Universities of Kentucky and New Mexico, excavated four Adena burial mounds along Paint Creek in Paintsville.
- Dr. Thomas Walker's party
traveled down paint Creek in 1750.
- In 1789, Mathias Harman led a
party of Virginians in pursuit of the Indian captors of
Jenny Wiley. Severe weather halted this expedition.
- By 1860 the population of
Johnson County exceeded 5,000, including 27 slaves and
nineteen free blacks.
- Most Johnson Countians remained
loyal to the Union during the Civil War.
- In October of 1861 by fiscal
court order, anyone raising a Union or Confederate flag
was fined for fifty dollars.
- Paintsville suffered little
physical damage from the Civil War.
- Paintsville's population
increased from 200 to 270 during the 1860s.
- Thousands of people gathered in
Paintsville on Labor Day of 1924 to witness a parade of
two hundred robed members of the Ku Klux Klan.