Descendants of William Hobbs
Donated by: Charles Baldridge Braja5@aol.com
Generation No. 1
1. WILLIAM1 HOBBS was born (guessing) Abt. 1870, and died or left home Bef. 1910. He married ELIZA E. KILGORE. She was born Abt. 1867, and is listed as Head of House in 1910 Census, age listed 43.
Notes for WILLIAM HOBBS: I read a Johnson county post long ago, which mentioned the murder of a William Hobbs by a couple moonshiners who called themselves "The Blind Tigers". I don't know if this William Hobbs was of any relation.
Children of WILLIAM HOBBS and ELIZA KILGORE are:
i. WILLIAM OWEN2 HOBBS, b. 1895.
2. ii. DIXIE HOBBS, b. 1897, Johnson, Co. KY ?; d. Bet. June - September 1971, Columbus, OH.
iii. FRANK HOBBS, b. 1904; m2. RUTH MYERS; d. Abt. 1991.
Notes for FRANK HOBBS:
1910 census has Frank born in West Virginia, but all other sibs were born in KY. Perhaps he was born while the family stayed with other relatives. Frank is said to have had a large family by his first wife in Johnson county. Most of these Hobbs children lived in Columbus, according to my mother, and had a fencing company there. She couldn't remember the first wife's name.
iv. KELLY HOBBS, b. 1906.
Generation No. 2
2. DIXIE2 HOBBS (WILLIAM1) was born 1897 in Johnson, Co. KY ?, and died Bet. June - September 1971 in Columbus, OH. She married (1) CHARLES (SR.) BALDRIDGE January 31, 1918 in Johnson Co. KY, son of WILLIAM BALDRIDGE and JULIA GREEN. He was born January 1886, and died May 28, 1930 in Whitehouse, Johnson Co. KY. She married (2) WALLACE FULKNER Abt. 1940.
Notes for DIXIE HOBBS:
As the story goes, After Charles’ death, all the friends and neighbors came around volunteering to take this child, or that child. Dixie is said to have stood her ground and stated “My family stays together” and would hear no further talk of it. She took on odd jobs, and did laundry and things to make ends meet. She took her children and moved to Columbus Ohio, then later on (about 1950?) married Wallace Fulkner but was widowed or divorced by the early 1970's
Notes for CHARLES (SR.) BALDRIDGE:
Charles Baldridge was a miner in Whitehouse Ky, who was crippled and bedridden for several years before dying from injuries sustained in a mine accident. I have not been able to confirm his death date, or the date of the accident.
(This man is probably my Grandfather Charles Baldridge)
Last Name First Name MI Age Death Place Residence Death Date Volume Certificate Death Volume
BALDRIDGE CHARLES 036 JOHNSON 05-28-1930 025 12248 1930
Family members say Charles was buried in Whitehouse somewhere, but that is also unknown.
More About CHARLES (SR.) BALDRIDGE:
Occupation: Coal Miner
Children of DIXIE HOBBS and CHARLES BALDRIDGE are:
i. FLORA3 BALDRIDGE, b. 1919; d.abt.1999 Never had children; m. MYRON LIGHTFOOT.
ii. EVERETT BALDRIDGE, b. Bet. 1919 - 1925 probably died young
3. iii. GLADYS "OPAL" BALDRIDGE, b. October 15, 1921, Johnson County KY; d. Columbus, Ohio m. Charles Dunlap
iv. HERBERT "DON" BALDRIDGE, b. March 26, 1924; d. May 27, 1995, Columbus, Franklin co. OH.
4. v. CHARLES (JR.) BALDRIDGE, b. October 23, 1925, Whitehouse, Johnson Co. KY; d. December 14, 1986,
If you have any information on this family please contact Charles. Braja5@aol.com
Return to Family Trees Index