Below are some transcriptions from Newspapers in Kenton County.
Please feel free to submit any portion of a Newspaper, just
be sure to include the Newspaper name, date of article, page
*** To submit your records for the aidof other researchers stop by here. ***
The Daily Commonwealth, Covington, Kentucky
Monday, October 22, 1877
- A daughter of Senator Blaine was shot in the face on Saturday
by the accidental explosion of a pistol she was handling. The
injury is not serious.
- It is reported in Washington that Senator Morton is dying,
and the departure of his physician, Dr. Bliss, for Indiana seems
to confirm the report, though no such news has come from the
- County Court met in regular session this morning, Judge Phelps
1. On motion of M. M. Benton, Esq., for administrator, the will
of Walter Gregory, deceased, was admitted to probate.
2. K. T. Bendorf, administrator of the estate of Jas. K. Linn,
deceased, filed an inventory thereof showing personality valued
3. An order was made appropriating $5 for the purpose of send
Samuel Sterling, an indigent pauper of the county, to friends
in Evansville, Indiana, and Sheriff Lowe was directed to pay
- It is reported that Jack Arnold, a notorious character of
this city, was killed in Bracken County the other day.
- Died this morning at 6 o'clock at the residence of Mrs. F.
O. Smith, Miss Lizzie Kelman. Friends of the family will be
notified of the time of the funeral.
- Licensed to Marry: Ross Hamilton of Cincinnati to Miss Belle
Francis of Covington; Chas. H. L. Quade, aged 32, to Bernadina
Walz, aged 45, both of Covington.
- The son of Mr. B. Bramlage died of scarlet fever on Saturday.
The morning his little schoolmates of the St. Joseph's School,
under the lead of Prof. Mohr, their teacher went to the residence
and sang this beautiful hymn: "In the grave is rest."
and accompanied the body to the church, from whence it was buried
in St. Joseph's Graveyard.
- Frank Keyer died at 9 o'clock last night at his residence
on the corner of Powell and Stevens Street.
- Miss Lizzie Kellman, a talented young lady, know in the literary
circles, know as nom'de plum of Jettie Earle, died at the residence
of her uncle, S. B. Smith, at 8 o'clock this morning after a
lingering illness of several months duration. Due notice to
the funeral will be given.
- Boone County:
1. Married Thursday, the 18th, at the residence of the bride's
parents by Rev. John Beasley, Mr. Harry Warren of Urbana, Ohio
and Miss Missouri Fry of this place.
2. Miss Fannie Noell, widow of John G. Noell, has moved into
her new and elegant residence built on her dowery near Beaver.
3. Joseph Rich Sr. has rented and moved to the property of Deitemeir
near Union on Big Bone Creek.
- Grant County:
1. Married October 10 at the residence of Isaac Johnson, W.
R. Points and Miss Annie R. Jackson, all of this city.
2. Also, October 11, at the residence of the bride's mother,
Mr. Gilbert Kendall, Miss Mollie Kendall and Mr. Sob McClure,
Rev. Lafe Johnson officiating.
3. Robert Price is lying very low with typhoid fever.
4. P. C. Massie has sold his farm to Will Webster at $20 per
- Kenton County:
1. Born October 8 to the wife of Muirheld, a girl.
2. Also, October 17, to C. W. Fisk and wife, a boy.
3. Also, October 18, to John Harrod and wife, a girl.
- Brief Mention:
1. A four-year-old child Henry Anderson of Hastings, Michigan
pulled a kerosene lamp from the table Saturday night, set fire
to himself and died ten minutes afterward.
2. A gold watch and chain which were identified as the property
of Professor Panarmo, a music teacher, murdered in New York
four years ago, were found in the ruins of the Brookly Theater,
- The will of John Lothrop Motley provides that all his books
and personal property be distributed equally among his daughers.
The rest of the property, excepting copyrights, is left in trust
for the benefit of his daughters. In relation to the copyrights,
trustees have been authorized to arrange for the continued publication
of his works and the income to be paid over to his daughters.
- Ex-Congressment John Wintrop Chauler is dead, aged 51.
Transcribed by Jeannie