River traffic caused Union forces under Gen, James A. Garfield, 20th President, to occupy Louisa Dec. 1861. CSA attempted capture Mar. 12 and 25 - 25, 1863. Southern partisans raided area Nov. 5, 1864, burning houses and 2 steamers, and looting stores. Fort Bishop, USA, completed here just as war ended in 1865. Also called Fort Gallup and Fort Hill.
[ US 23, Louisa Courthouse yard ]
USA Ft. Bishop, 100 yards west, was built to protect against CSA raids. It was named for Capt. Bishop, 100th Ohio Inf., killed in action at Dallas, GA, May, 1864. USA engineers, using detail from 109th Col. Inf. began fort, Sept. 23, 1864. At the end of war, April 1865, work was almost complete. Fort had seven field guns. Also called Ft. Gallup and Ft. Hill.
[ US 23, Louisa ]
Graphics by Lil Doc's Patriotic Graphics