Search billions of records on

Submitted By: Ellen Singleton Vandiver


Rev. William Green Ball and Nancy Jane Reynolds family
They moved from Lincoln Co., to Missouri. This photo came from my family to my mother.
I have inherited all of my mom's genealogy and am going through it.  She was Mabel Tway and married
to Robert Singleton.  The Singleton's, Ball's, and Reynolds all came from the Lincoln Co., KY vicinity.

See below for Nancy Jane Reynolds obituary and a letter she wrote to her grandfather, Perry Reynolds.  Also, William Ball's

Nancy Jane Reynolds obituary

Nancy Jane Reynolds was born in Lincoln Co., Kentucky June 16, 1847. and died at her home in King City, Mo. February 2, 1919, aged 71 years, 7 months and 16 days. She was married to W. G. Ball, Septmeber 27, 1866, she came to Missouri in October of the same year. To this union nine children were born. The oldest, Nicy Susan, died at the age of 2 years, 4 months, and 10 days. Eight are still living. Their names follow in their order: John H., of Glenwood, Iowa; W. C., of King City, and Mary A. Jennings, of Amity, Mo.; Martha J. Singleton, of Eldorado, Kansas; Edward R., Etta M. McMillen, James T., and Nancy E. McBeath, of King City, and a foster daughter, Margaret J. Ball, at home. There are 34 grand-children and 4 great grand-children. All of the children were present at the funeral except Martha J. Singleton.

Deceased moved with her family to King City, Mo., in April, 1891, to the home where she died. She united with the Baptist church in Kentucky in 1865, but in 1868 she became dissatisfied with her conversion and sought the Lord and was happily converted and some years afterwards was baptized into the fellowship of the Frazier Baptist church in Buchanan County, Mo. She lived a consistent christian life till stricken with her last illness. While her husband was away from home as preacher and pastor of churches, she was faithful to her home, bearing the burdens and hardships of a preacher's wife, without murmuring or complaining. She was, indeed, a faithful wife, a loving mother, and a kind neighbor. Besides her immediate family, she leaves to mourn her death, two brothers and one sister - all living in Kentucky. Her last affliction lasted for five years. She was a great sufferer, but she has now gone to that rest that remains for the people of God, to a home not made with hands, eternal in the heavens, where there is no more pain nor sorrow or death. Rest, precious one, we shall meet again; but 'tis hard to give you up. How can I say to you "good-bye" to you, I love so well. But we shall meet beyond the sky. "Till then, dear one, farewell
W. G. B.
The funeral was at the Baptist church, Tuesday, the sermon being preached by Elder S. Riggs of Union Star. Tex, Phil. l:21, "To die is gain." After the last end rites the remains were laid to rest in King City cemetery.


 Letter from Nancy Jane Reynolds who lived in Missouri, to her grandfather, Perry Reynolds still in Kentucky.  At this time, Nancyís mother, Eunice Barnett, was deceased as well as her father, Hardin Reynolds.  I assume when she says ďmotherĒ visited, she is referring to her mother in law.


Jan. 8, 1873 

Dear grandfather    After waiting a long time and getting no answer I have concluded to write again and see if I could hear from you anymore for I have wrote several letters to first on and another of you and received no answer.  I donít no what is the reason you donít write.  These few lines leaves us as well as common at present and I truly hope when this silent messager comes to talk with you that you maybe in health and enjoying yourself well.   

Well I have no news to write to you more than I would be glad to see you once more on this side of the grave but donít no whether I will ever be blessed with that -----------no but if I should not be permitted to see you any more in this world let us be prepared to meet each other where there will be no more parting for we are only permitted to live in this world that we may prepare for a future world.  May God help us to prepare is my prayer. 

Now I will tell you mother came to see me on New Yearís day and stayed till Monday.  They are all tolerably well now.  Mother has been sick for three or four months first with a billious fever then ague and fever but she is about well now.  She sends howdy and farewell to you and wants to see very much but donít expect to any more in this world. She wishes to be remembered to all her connection and friends to tedious to mention. 

I want you to write to her.  Her post office now is Camden Point.   

Now I will tell you I believe we have some as cold a weather this winter as I ever felt.  We had one snow about 16 inches deep.   It is about 12 inches deep yet and pretty cold today.  Times is hard yet here and money canít be had for love or work.Everything low here except wheat it bears a good price.  The best $2.00 per bu.  Corn is worth 20 to 25 ct. Per bu.  Dull sale at that.  Pork is worth 3 ct. Lb. Gross dull sale.  Half of the hogs in the country ant been sold.  Cattle and horses tolerably fair prices. 

We have a disease here among the horses that is very bad.  People canít hardly use their horses.  Though it has not killed many here it is called the episeudic. 

Well, I will tell you I have got two as pretty children as nearly ever saw and they are smart to.  John Henry, William Christopher.  

Write whether Chris and Mary has moved off or no.  I canít get any more letters from them.  Tell all of the connection and friends howdy for me.  I would like to see them all once more in life.  Tell them to write to me now.  Nan sends howdy to you and wants to see you very bad but donít no when if ever that will be for we are so far a part that a poor person canít travel it.  She says donít forget to write to us.  She says give all the connection and friends if any her best love and respect and receive a large portion for youself..  She says to tell Johnny and Tolby howdy and write how they are getting along.  Tell William and his wife howdy.  Tell them to write to me.  Tell Aunt Bets howdy.  I would like to see her.  Tell her if she were out here and could weave like she use to she could make a very good living for she could get a shiling and 20 ct per yard for weaving and could get all she could do. 

Tell grandmother Barnet howdy.  I would be glad to see her once more on earth. Tell Edy and Sarah I am much obliged to them for writing to me so often.  I wrote them the last letter.  Tell Aunt Sin and family howdy.  Tell her I want her to bluster around until she gets some of them to write and write all the news. 

Now I will have to come to a close by asking you to write to us and write all the news.  We remain your unworthy grandchildren till Death

                                                                                                            Wm. Ball

        Farewell                                                                                       N. J. Ball
To Perry Reynolds



A Widely Known and Much Loved
Man Has Passed To The Great
Beyond.  He Will Be Much

In the death of Rev. W. G. Ball, northwest Missouri has lost one of its noble christian men and a minister of the Gospel of the Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ.  A man esteemed and widely known worker in the Master's vineyard has been called to the reward of the faithful.  Not alone is he missed and mourned by his children and relatives, but by the entire community and a large acquaintance over northwest Missouri, where he has labored as a faithful minister of the gospel for over half a century, during which time he had the privilege of leading many to the acceptance of the great Master to their personal saviour.  Truly may it be said that there will be many stars in his crown. 

Within the past few weeks, he had been visiting his children in different parts of the country and returned home Monday, November the 27th, feeling quite sick on his arrival.  He went immediately to the home of his son, Ed Ball, in the southwest part of the city, and grew worse and soon lost consciousness of surroundings.  His children were summoned and they hastened to the bedside of the sick father and awaited the final summons which came Thursday evening about ten o'clock, Thanksgiving evening, Nov. 30th. 

The funeral was held at the Baptist church in King City, at 2:30 Sunday afternoon, December 3rd, and was, perhaps, the largest attended funeral service ever held in King City.  It was estimated that fully 1000 people came to pay respects to one so universally known and esteemed.  Friends came as far as twenty miles, from surrounding points where the departed had served as a minister, and where he was known as a good man, to add their personal evidences of esteem and sympathy in paying the last sad rites to one who by his daily life, had won the confidence, esteem and love of all who knew him.  There are none who would doubt or could coubt that Rev. W. G. Ball has received the welcome greeting of "Well done, thou good and faithful servant.  Enter thou into the joys of thy Lord." 

"Blessed are the dead which die in the Lord from henceforth:  Yea, saith the Spirit, that they may rest from their labors; and their works do follow them." 

William Green Ball was born in Garrard County, near Lancaster, Kentucky, July 8, 1846; died at his son's E. R. Ball, in King City, November 30, 1922, age 70 years, 4 months, and 22 days.  He was the eldest son of Rhodom and Susan Ball.  He was married to Nancy Jane Reynolds, September 27, 1866.  She preceded him to the beyond, Feb. 2, 1919.  To this union were born nine children.   

The oldest, Nicy Susan, died in infancy.  The rest are all living and were at his bedside when he died -- namely, John Henry of King City, William Christopher of Leon, Iowa; Mary Ann Jennings of Amoret, Mo.; Martha Jane Singleton of Eldorado, Kansas; the twins, Eddy Ray of King City and Etta May McMillen of Bethany; James Talbert of King City, and Nancy Elizabeth McBeath of King City; also a foster daughter, his brother's child, whom he raised from infancy, Maggie Jane Pendarvis, of Nowata, Okla.  

 He is also survived by four brothers, Perry D. of Pryor, Okla; Henry L. or Excelsior Springs, Mo; James R. of Lawson, Mo., and Jefferson D. of King City, and by 35 grandchildren and 8 great-grandchildren. 

 He was converted and baptized at Mt. Pleasant church, St. Joseph Association, by G. W. Rogers, in the year, 1869, and ordained at Frazer Baptist church in 1875.  He has had charge of the following churches;  Slash Valley, New Prospect, Fairport, Union Star, Berlin, New Hope, Bethel, High Prairie, Bee Creek, Mt. Pleasant, Sugar Lake, Gower, Mt. Vernon, New Harmony, Bolckow, Whitesville, Lafayette, Flag Springs, Alanthur, New Friendship, Lone Star, King city, Blue Valley, Frazer, White Cloud, Long Branch, Agency; these and some others.  He was also at one time missionary for the St. Joseph Baptist Association of which he was the oldest minister in the service.  He will be sadly missed by his children and the community.  A good man has gone to his reward.  Not dead but sleeping. 

The funeral services were held at the Baptist church in King City, by Rev. S. Riggs of Union Star.  Internment was in the King City cemetery. 


We desire to thank the many friends for their sympathy and kindness shown us during the illness and at the time of death of our beloved father, also for the beautiful floral offerings.           



And surely hath he gone to his reward
He shall come no more forth, but ---

his sleep
Hath silently laid down, and so shall
He went to meet his companion who
had gone
Before him, and as other years roll on
And his loved flock go up to him, his
Again shall lead them gently to the
And bring them to the living water



Letter from Maggie Ball Pendarvis, foster daughter of William Green Ball and Nancy Jane Reynolds 

 from her home in King City, Missouri, to Mrs.Mabel Tway Singleton, who was researching the family.  The letter is undated but was written in the 1980's as Maggie died in 1990. 

"Grandpa Rhodam Ball was born in Boyle Co., near Danville March 3, 1824.  Susan Ann Reynolds was born in Lincoln Co., KY. on Jan. 15, 1820 and married August, 1845.  He (obviously referring to William Green Ball)  was born in Garrard Co., near Lancaster July 8, 1846.  "Mama" (referring to Nancy Jane Reynolds)  was born in Lincoln Co., near Waynesburg June 16, 1847 and married Sept. 27, 1866. 

She (Nancy Jane Reynolds)  had 3 brothers and 2 sisters.  Will, of Kings Mountain, Ky., Tolbert, of Waynesburg.  Her brother Johnny was killed by a horse in Cedar Co., Mo.  They were cousins (maybe referring to Rhodam and Susan Ball) .  Rhodam had 4 brothers.  Uncle Perry lived in Pryor, Okla.  Rhodom was the oldest, then Perry then my father, Henry Lee lived in Excelsior Springs many years.  They never lived here.  I had 2 brothers and a sister.  Sister is dead and I don't know if the boys are living. 

There was Uncle Jim Ball lived at Lawson many years.  He had 2 sons and a daughter - Uncle Jeff lived here.  He had a son and 2 daughters - all gone.  I am the only one left of the older family. 

I was born in Caldwell Co., Mo. near Mirable Feb. 16, 1899.  I was never told but little about her.  She died when I was about an hour old.  Her name was Maggie Swafford. .  I think she grew up in the Lawore or Polo Community.  I don't know her or my father's birthday, but he was born 1857 in Kentucky (obviously referring to Henry Ball, her biological father).  .  Papa (William Green Ball)  was 12 years old when they came to Sibby, Mo. on the Missouri river in 1858. 

My father died in April 1939.  He was 81(referring to Henry Ball, biological father, as William Green Ball died in 1922.) 

My husband was born in illinois and raised in Nebraska.  He died Aug. 26, 1937. 

My son, William Earl was born in Nowater, Oklahoma January 25  1922 and died Sept. 17, 1973.  Papa went back to Kentucky when he was 18 years and married mama when he was 20 and she was 19. 

They were truly papa and mama to me. 


Photo Index  Main Page