Through the generous gift of Mr. Lennie M. Carter, author of several books of genealogy, the Magoffin County Historical Society is now offering a new book for sale. The title is Frederick Rowe, From North Carolina and Tennessee to Eastern Kentucky and Beyond. The 470 page book (including index) is soft-cover and is 8 Ĺ x 11 inches in size. The cost is $40 from the Magoffin County Historical Society, PO Box 222, Salyersville, KY 41465.
Mr. Carterís Rowe book covers the generations from Frederick Rowe b. 1780 Rowan Co. NC and died after 1847 in Floyd County, KY. He is on the 1847 tax list of Floyd County but not the 1848 list. He was the father of the following children:
(1) Catherine Rowe b. about 1803 in North Carolina and died in 1885 in Kansas at the home of her son. She was married to Richard Fincher in Greene Co. TN who died in 1875 in Missouri. He was the son of John Fincher and Katherine White.
(2) William Rowe b. 1806 NC d. 1888 in Magoffin Co. KY. He married in 1826 Greene Co. TN to Mary Fincher, sister of Richard Fincher. William and Mary are buried in the Abner Joseph Cemetery on Half Mountain of Magoffin Co. KY. They lived in Arkansas in 1850 but were in Magoffin County, KY by 1860.
The eleven children of William and Mary were (a) John Rowe m. Sarah Salyer; (b) Mary Rowe m. William Watkins; (c) Isaac Rowe m. Martha Davis, (d) William Rowe m. 1st to Mary "Polly" Watkins; m. 2nd to Jane Pickrell and m. 3rd to Missouri Joseph, (e) Malinda Rowe m. 1st Jim Bailey and m. 2nd Robert Baldridge; (f) Michael Rowe m. Rebecca Barnett; (g) Miriam Rowe m. Ambrose Mullins; (h) Katherine "Katie" Rowe m. John Bailey, Jr.; (i) Brice Rowe m. Nancy Bailey, (j) Sarah Rowe b. 1853 did not marry, and (k) Eda Rowe b. 1856 d. 1858.
(3) Sarah Rowe b. 1813 Greene Co. TN died in 1866 KY. She had 5 children: George W. Rowe m. Cynthia Salyer, Nathaniel Rowe m. Nancy Griffey, Alexander Rowe m. Bethany Fletcher and Martha Trusty, Alfred Rowe m. Louisa Trusty, and Malinda Rowe m. Randall Arnett.
(4) Anna Rowe b. 1815 Greene Co. TN died between 1850 and 1860 in Floyd Co. KY. Her children: Andrew Rowe m. Martha Ann Conley, Rebecca Rowe and George Rowe
(5) Isaac Rowe b. 1816 Greene Co. TN. He married in 1846 Floyd Co. KY to Rachel Hale and they moved to Madison County, Arkansas.
(6) George Washington Rowe b. 1818 Greene Co. TN d. in Grant Co. IN in 1894. He married in Clinton Co. OH to Julia Ann Haines.
(7) Nathan Rowe b. 1820 Greene Co. TN d. 1896 in Schuyler Co. MO. He married Margaret "Peggy" Hilton, dau of Jonathan Hilton.
There is also a chapter in the book devoted to the family of Solomon Rowe who married Juliena Diamond. This family generally pronounces their surname as "Row". A son of Solomon was Giles Rowe. Giles had a son William Rowe who married Lizzie Lee Prater and lived here in Magoffin County. This is our beloved William "Uncle Bill" Rowe and "Aunt Lizzie" who lived in the Dixie Addition of Salyersville. A full account of this line can be found in another of Mr. Carterís books, Malinda Diamond, Pioneer Woman.
Mr. Carter has done an excellent job in collecting info on the Rowe generations who descend from Frederick Rowe and many of you with a Rowe ancestor will be able to trace your family history with this book.
Our historical society is mainly dependent upon sales of our genealogy material in order to maintain our grounds and keep our genealogy library open to the public so this gift from Mr. Carter is most sincerely appreciated.
Anyone who has compiled a family genealogy record has knowledge of the time and effort that goes into doing such work. After 38 years of collecting and assembling into book form the history and genealogy of our area through volunteer work, we certainly heap accolades on Mr. Carter for his work and his gift to our historical society.
Our school events committee has organized this event and each of the grade schools has been contacted with the contest information. The committee members are Charlotte Gillum, Jaynie Poe and Theresa Miller. They will be joined by two volunteer teachers from each of our elementary schools, South Magoffin, North Magoffin and the Salyersville Grade School to conduct the events.
The Magoffin County Historical Society is proud to sponsor this event for the children of our county during Heritage Days. Everyone is invited to attend these contests which will be held on the grounds of the Pioneer Village in Salyersville, KY on Friday, September 4th beginning at 12 noon.
The Magoffin County Library will be hosting an area author book signing on this day also. This is a great time to come and get acquainted with authors of some of the most noteworthy books available. These range from childrenís books to books of history so everyone should find something of interest.
You are also invited to come and be a part of the old-fashioned church services on Sunday, September 6th beginning at 10 a.m. We are honored to have the State Road United Baptist Church conducting services.