Search billions of records on Ancestry.com

History of Fountain Run KY

(Taken from posts made by Sandi Gorin to the South-Central-KY list.)

Taken from "Fountain Run, Yesterday and Today, on the 100th anniversaary
1855 to 1955, Lucy Goad Albright.  Continued........

John ALDREDGE and Margaret BRIGHT DUNN were early settlers of Allen County,
originally from North Carolina, natives of Garrard and Lincoln counties
respectively. Their descendants played a major part in the settling and
progress of this section. Margaret BRIGHT DUNN's father was a substantial
farmer and slave owner. They were the parents of Margaret who married James
NEAL, Lucy Ann, wife of Ben DOWNING, Matilda, wife of Clay FRANKLIN, Nancy,
wife of John HOWARD, Amanda wife of A P HUGHES, Nellie, wife of John AKERS,
John who married Jane CARUTH, and Henry who married Rhoda FLIPPIN. The
above families who settled in and around Fountain Run, were extensive land
owners, and were almost solidly Baptists and Democrats. In 1954 eight
grandchildren of Aldredge and Margaret DUNN whose combined aages totaled
almost seven hundred years, lived. Shortly after the death of W E DOWNINGG,
seven of them met for a group picture for the first time together in more
than forty years. The picture and names is included in this history.
  The TRACY name which in the early days was well known around Fountain
RUN, is fast becoming extinct as only Maxey, Bill and Billy Parker TRACEY
now call Fountain Run home. Isaac TRACY, son of Michael TRACY, was a
learned man, a Baptist preacher, and served as the first recorded clerk of
the United Missionary Baptist Church of Fountain Run. He owned extensive
acreages bounding this section in the CELSOR bend of the river. They were a
sturdy, thrify stock of people being half German and half Irish. Isaac
TRACY was the father of Doc and Bill TRACY. Doc TRACY was the father of
Elmer TRACY and Elmer was the father of Maxie, Roy (deceased), and Maymie
(CALVERT) by his firtt marriage, and Bill TRACY by his second marriage.
Billy Parker TRACY is the son of Bill and Ada HAGAN TRACY. Joseph TRACY's
other son was Bill TRACY who was the father of Bob TRACY who married
sisters, who were STEWARTS, and Bill TRACY'S daughters were Clay and Nettie
who were the first and second wives of Tom GRAY. Tom and Clay TRACY GRAY
were the parents of Will GRAY who married Alice LANDRUM, and Hattie who
married Walter HUGHES; Tom and Nettie TRACY GRAY were the parents of Thomas
Clay GRAY who is married to Lula Ed HOWARD. The above families were owners
of large acreages and fine citizens. The TRACYs were as a whole Baptists
and Masons. The GRAYS were Methodists and Will GRAY was very active in the
Masonic Fraternity.
  Harden CELSOR, an early pioneer settler, was born in 1785 and died in
1856. He was married to Elizabeth BERRY  Jan 8, 1807. They were the parents
of several children, three of whom were Jefferson, Razbury, and Eva
(BENEDICT). Aftr the death of his wife Harden CELSOR married Mary BELL, a
widow. They were the parents of two daughters, Virginia who married Joe
HOWARDd and Suzan [sic] who married Mike HOWARD. Harden CELSOR owned 300
acres of land, and a family of slaves. Tradition says that he was given a
land grant by the government. He was probably a charter member of the
United Missionary Baptist Church of Fountain Run, organized in 1829, as he
was one of the delegates of six sent from the Foutain Run Church in 1835 to
help organize the Indian Creek Baptist Church.
  Jefferson CELSOR, son of Harden and Elizabeth BERRY CELSOR, was born Feb
1821. He was maried to Irene HAGAN and they were the parents of Jefferson
(Jeffi), Jimmie and "Sister" Alexander. Jeffie CELSOR was a prominent
citizen, owning a large acreage of land at the edge of Fountain Run in
Allen Co. A family burial ground is located on this early farm known as the
CELSOR graveyard in which he and many members of his family are interred.
  Razbury CELSOR was the father of Arminda CELSO HOLDER and the grandfather
of Nora FREEMAN PARDUE.

Eva CELSOR (BENEDICT) was the mother of Jo Ann BROCKETT DEVASHER. She and
her husband John BENEDICT, owned 300 acres of land.

Suzan CELSOR, daughter of Harden and Mary Bell CELSOR, married Mike HOWARD.
Parents of Phoebe who married Marshall WHEELER. Bob who married Maggie
PINCKLEY and aftr her death married Ella Pare MORROW. Pate who married
Bettie PATTERSON; Wm. who married Janie WHEELER, Minine who married Luther
EATON, Tommie, Virgie who married Tommie LANDRUM, John Neal and Tom Dunn,
and Myrtie who married Bert DOSSEY. Mike and Suzan CELSOR lived on a farm
at the edge of Fountain Run at the home place where their son Pate HOWARD
continues to live.
  Jeff CELSOR, son of Jefferson and Irene HAGAN CELSOR, married Nannie
TAYLOR, daughter of Joseph TAYLOR. They were the parents of Irene (HAGAN),
Mae (WILLIAMS), Joe and Chloe CELSOR. Jeffie CELSOR was born and lived his
entire life on the same farm. He was one of the first to introduce and
raise fine Texas cattle. His wife, Nannie CELSOR, was a most refined,
cultured lady.
  Jimmie CELSOR, son of Jefferson and Irene HAGAN CELSOR, married Elizabeth
BUTTON. They were the parents of Guy, Ada (JOHNSON), Lallie, Euga and
Layton. Jimmie CELSOR was an extensive landowner accomodated with a
colonial home, Layton CELSOR and wife, Minnie SIMPSON CELSOR, continue to
live. They raise and breed fine Angus cattle.
  "Sister" CELSOR ALEXANDER was the mother of Lizzie DOWNING, wife of
Aldredge DOWNING. Sister died early in life.
  Guy CELSOR, son of Jimmie CELSOR, married to Lucy BARTON, for more than
50 years, is an extensive land owner and breeder of mules. He is quite
active in the Baptist Church, serving as deacon for many years. Guy and
Lucy are the parents of Sarah (PARDUE) and Jimmie CELSOR, and grandparents
of Jimmie MARSHALL and Tommie Francis CELSOR.
  Joe CELSOR, son of Jeffie and Nannie CELSOR, married Lucille BURTON. They
are the parents of one son, Robert Jeffeson CELSOR, who served in World War
II. Joe and Robert CELSOR own a large acreage of land where they operate a
Grade A Dairy Barn supplied by a fine herd of one hundred Holstein cattle.

John AUSTIN was born 1793 and died 1862. He was married to Elizabeth
CARUTH. They were parents of Kitty Ann (ELLIS), Matilda, born Aug. 25,
1814, who married S. H. FRANKLIN, born Mar. 11, 1813, and died 1873. John
and Betsy CARUTH AUSTIN were also the parents of Boss AUSTIN. Boss AUSTIN
was a great lover of music and a famous fiddler of his day. He was the
father of "Sister" who married Samuel COOK. They were the parents of Myrtle
who married Ora EMBERTON, Lela who married Mike LANDRUM, and Mills who
married Lizzie AUSTIN. Boss AUSTIN was also the father of Willie who
married Virgie DAVIDSON. They were the parents of Ewing who married Sally
MORAN and Arnold who married Hattie STENSON. Descendants of the AUSTINS
loved music and each other. John AUSTIN and Thomas CARUTH fought in the War
of 1812 and engaged in the Battle of New Orleans.
  A. P. and Amanda DUNN HUGHES were one of the outstanding old families of
this section. He was a charter member of Loving Lodge No. 323 and served as
its first secretary. Amanda HUGHES was the daughter of Aldredge and
Margaret BRIGHT DUNN, natives of North Carolina. A. P. and Amanda were the
parents of James who married Mattie GOODMAN, Mills who married Victoria
DUNCAN, Ben who married Betty LANDRUM, Kitty who married James FRAIM, Peggy
who married a Mr. HUDSON, Cricket who married Nathan LANDRUM, and Sis who
married Sam HAGAN. The descendants of these people have been much in
evidence in the settling progress and life of Fountain Run Section. They
were Baptists.
  Robert GIBSON, an early settler of Allen County near Fountain Run,
married Jane FOSTER, daughter of an extensive land owner and slave holder.
With her dowry they purchased a farm of some three hundred acres. He was a
learned man with above average education and taught school. They were the
parents of Jordan, Jim, Bill, and Tom who married Quent CALVERT, Melvina
who married John GROOMS, Frances who first married Wm. TINSLEY and ten
years after his death married Ellis RIGGS, Mary (Maise), Virginia who
married John David CALVERT, and Genie who married Billie STARR.  A large
part of the farm of Robert GIBSON has remained in the family and is now
owned by a great-granddaughter, Miss Jimmie HARRISON, daughter of Jennie
TINSLEY HARRISON, and true to the family characteristic a school teacher.
Robert GIBSON was a Baptist and served as the third clerk of the Fountain
Run Missionary Baptist Church.
  J. Morgan HUGHES, a progressive farmer in Allen County, was born Apr. 26,
1846. He was the son of Thompson and Elizabeth (JOHNSON) HUGHES. Morgan
HUGHES married Sarah, daughter of James and Margaret NEAL. To this union
three children were born, Owen V. who married Minnie GOODMAN, Martha
Mansfield, and James Thomas who married Maggie DOWNING. Thompson HUGHES was
an extensive land and slave owner. Morgan HUGHES owned 235 acres of land
which has continued to nurture his descendants, to the fourth generation.
Geraldine PARDUE lives on the same land her mother Nina Mae HUGHES PARDUE
and father, Eura PARDUE, her grandfather, Viv HUGHES, and
great-grandfather, Morgan HUGHES lived. They were Baptists.

John ALDREDGE and Margaret BRIGHT DUNN were early settlers of Allen County,
originally from North Carolina, natives of Garrard and Lincoln counties
respectively. Their descendants played a major part in the settling and
progress of this section. Margaret BRIGHT DUNN's father was a substantial
farmer and slave owner. They were the parents of Margaret who married James
NEAL, Lucy Ann, wife of Ben DOWNING, Matilda, wife of Clay FRANKLIN, Nancy,
wife of John HOWARD, Amanda wife of A P HUGHES, Nellie, wife of John AKERS,
John who married Jane CARUTH, and Henry who married Rhoda FLIPPIN. The
above families who settled in and around Fountain Run, were extensive land
owners, and were almost solidly Baptists and Democrats. In 1954 eight
grandchildren of Aldredge and Margaret DUNN whose combined aages totaled
almost seven hundred years, lived. Shortly after the death of W E DOWNINGG,
seven of them met for a group picture for the first time together in more
than forty years. The picture and names is included in this history.
  The TRACY name which in the early days was well known around Fountain
RUN, is fast becoming extinct as only Maxey, Bill and Billy Parker TRACEY
now call Fountain Run home. Isaac TRACY, son of Michael TRACY, was a
learned man, a Baptist preacher, and served as the first recorded clerk of
the United Missionary Baptist Church of Fountain Run. He owned extensive
acreages bounding this section in the CELSOR bend of the river. They were a
sturdy, thrify stock of people being half German and half Irish. Isaac
TRACY was the father of Doc and Bill TRACY. Doc TRACY was the father of
Elmer TRACY and Elmer was the father of Maxie, Roy (deceased), and Maymie
(CALVERT) by his firtt marriage, and Bill TRACY by his second marriage.
Billy Parker TRACY is the son of Bill and Ada HAGAN TRACY. Joseph TRACY's
other son was Bill TRACY who was the father of Bob TRACY who married
sisters, who were STEWARTS, and Bill TRACY'S daughters were Clay and Nettie
who were the first and second wives of Tom GRAY. Tom and Clay TRACY GRAY
were the parents of Will GRAY who married Alice LANDRUM, and Hattie who
married Walter HUGHES; Tom and Nettie TRACY GRAY were the parents of Thomas
Clay GRAY who is married to Lula Ed HOWARD. The above families were owners
of large acreages and fine citizens. The TRACYs were as a whole Baptists
and Masons. The GRAYS were Methodists and Will GRAY was very active in the
Masonic Fraternity.
  Harden CELSOR, an early pioneer settler, was born in 1785 and died in
1856. He was married to Elizabeth BERRY  Jan 8, 1807. They were the parents
of several children, three of whom were Jefferson, Razbury, and Eva
(BENEDICT). Aftr the death of his wife Harden CELSOR married Mary BELL, a
widow. They were the parents of two daughters, Virginia who married Joe
HOWARDd and Suzan [sic] who married Mike HOWARD. Harden CELSOR owned 300
acres of land, and a family of slaves. Tradition says that he was given a
land grant by the government. He was probably a charter member of the
United Missionary Baptist Church of Fountain Run, organized in 1829, as he
was one of the delegates of six sent from the Foutain Run Church in 1835 to
help organize the Indian Creek Baptist Church.
  Jefferson CELSOR, son of Harden and Elizabeth BERRY CELSOR, was born Feb
1821. He was maried to Irene HAGAN and they were the parents of Jefferson
(Jeffi), Jimmie and "Sister" Alexander. Jeffie CELSOR was a prominent
citizen, owning a large acreage of land at the edge of Fountain Run in
Allen Co. A family burial ground is located on this early farm known as the
CELSOR graveyard in which he and many members of his family are interred.
  Razbury CELSOR was the father of Arminda CELSO HOLDER and the grandfather
of Nora FREEMAN PARDUE.

John ALDREDGE and Margaret BRIGHT DUNN were early settlers of Allen County,
originally from North Carolina, natives of Garrard and Lincoln counties
respectively. Their descendants played a major part in the settling and
progress of this section. Margaret BRIGHT DUNN's father was a substantial
farmer and slave owner. They were the parents of Margaret who married James
NEAL, Lucy Ann, wife of Ben DOWNING, Matilda, wife of Clay FRANKLIN, Nancy,
wife of John HOWARD, Amanda wife of A P HUGHES, Nellie, wife of John AKERS,
John who married Jane CARUTH, and Henry who married Rhoda FLIPPIN. The
above families who settled in and around Fountain Run, were extensive land
owners, and were almost solidly Baptists and Democrats. In 1954 eight
grandchildren of Aldredge and Margaret DUNN whose combined aages totaled
almost seven hundred years, lived. Shortly after the death of W E DOWNINGG,
seven of them met for a group picture for the first time together in more
than forty years. The picture and names is included in this history.
  The TRACY name which in the early days was well known around Fountain
RUN, is fast becoming extinct as only Maxey, Bill and Billy Parker TRACEY
now call Fountain Run home. Isaac TRACY, son of Michael TRACY, was a
learned man, a Baptist preacher, and served as the first recorded clerk of
the United Missionary Baptist Church of Fountain Run. He owned extensive
acreages bounding this section in the CELSOR bend of the river. They were a
sturdy, thrify stock of people being half German and half Irish. Isaac
TRACY was the father of Doc and Bill TRACY. Doc TRACY was the father of
Elmer TRACY and Elmer was the father of Maxie, Roy (deceased), and Maymie
(CALVERT) by his firtt marriage, and Bill TRACY by his second marriage.
Billy Parker TRACY is the son of Bill and Ada HAGAN TRACY. Joseph TRACY's
other son was Bill TRACY who was the father of Bob TRACY who married
sisters, who were STEWARTS, and Bill TRACY'S daughters were Clay and Nettie
who were the first and second wives of Tom GRAY. Tom and Clay TRACY GRAY
were the parents of Will GRAY who married Alice LANDRUM, and Hattie who
married Walter HUGHES; Tom and Nettie TRACY GRAY were the parents of Thomas
Clay GRAY who is married to Lula Ed HOWARD. The above families were owners
of large acreages and fine citizens. The TRACYs were as a whole Baptists
and Masons. The GRAYS were Methodists and Will GRAY was very active in the
Masonic Fraternity.
  Harden CELSOR, an early pioneer settler, was born in 1785 and died in
1856. He was married to Elizabeth BERRY  Jan 8, 1807. They were the parents
of several children, three of whom were Jefferson, Razbury, and Eva
(BENEDICT). Aftr the death of his wife Harden CELSOR married Mary BELL, a
widow. They were the parents of two daughters, Virginia who married Joe
HOWARDd and Suzan [sic] who married Mike HOWARD. Harden CELSOR owned 300
acres of land, and a family of slaves. Tradition says that he was given a
land grant by the government. He was probably a charter member of the
United Missionary Baptist Church of Fountain Run, organized in 1829, as he
was one of the delegates of six sent from the Foutain Run Church in 1835 to
help organize the Indian Creek Baptist Church.
  Jefferson CELSOR, son of Harden and Elizabeth BERRY CELSOR, was born Feb
1821. He was maried to Irene HAGAN and they were the parents of Jefferson
(Jeffi), Jimmie and "Sister" Alexander. Jeffie CELSOR was a prominent
citizen, owning a large acreage of land at the edge of Fountain Run in
Allen Co. A family burial ground is located on this early farm known as the
CELSOR graveyard in which he and many members of his family are interred.
  Razbury CELSOR was the father of Arminda CELSO HOLDER and the grandfather
of Nora FREEMAN PARDUE.

James M. NEAL, native of Monroe County, married Margaret DUNN, daughter of
John and Margaret DUNN. They were the parents of J W (Will), Neal, Matilda
(AUSTIN), Sarah (HUGHES), Lucy (HARRIS), Nannie (JOHNSON), and Amelia
(DUNCAN). James NEAL came with his parents about 1840 from East Tennessee,
and settled in Monroe County. He owned extensive acreage, and operated a
water mill on Indian Creek, which was equipped to make both meal and flour
and the revenue from which was considered sufficient to make the owner
rich. Mr. NEAL in addition to his business ability was a learned man for
his day and represented his district in the Legislature. In his latter days
he moved into Fountain Run to a home now owned by Annie FINN HAGAN, widow
of Riley HAGAN. James and Margaret NEAL were devout members of the
Missionary Baptist Church, she being a member for seventy-five years.

John DUNCAN, son of John Mills and Nancy SAUNDERS DUNCAN, was first married
to Amelia NEAL, daughter of James and Margaret NEAL. They were the parents
of two sons, Hershel and Charlie DUNCAN. After the death of his first wife,
John DUNCAN married Nannie SMITH. They were the parents of Mayme (YOUNG),
Victoria (WHTINEY), Saunders, Marguerite and Eddie DUNCAN. John DUNCAN was
a native of Tennessee and moved to a farm with his family when a boy, on
Lyons Creek near Gamaliel. He was well read, well informed, public spirited
citizen, and a promoter of good schools and churches. Two of his children,
Saunders and Marguerite DUNCAN, continue to live on his large acreage of
land, and the home place and another son, lives on the original farm.

Matilda NEAL AUSTIN, daughter of James and Margaret NEAL, and Charlie
AUSTIN, son of Bill and Adeline MILLS AUSTIN, were the parents of Jim,
Maggie (JONES), Bessie (DOWNING), Fred, Harry, and Mitchell AUSTIN, Gladys
(LANE), and Lizzie (COOK). Matilda, a widow, raised her family in an
atmosphere of gentle Christian refinement, and she lived a life of kindness
above reproach. They were members of the Baptist Church.

Samuel COOK and Sister Austin COOK were the parents of Myrtie (EMBERTON),
Lela (LANDRUM), and Mills COOK. Sam COOK served as Sunday School
superintendent of the Baptist Church for manyyears. They were a fine old
family of early Fountain Run, devoted to the church and to each other.

A look at the postmasters and their families.  
 Dr James R DUNCAN served Fountain Run as its first Post Master 1847 to
Dec 29, 1851. He is accredited with naming the town Fountain Run. The body
of his wife, Kitty DUNCAN was the first to be buried in the Fountain Run
Cemetery.
  Joseph P. TAYLOR was the son of John and Elizabeth PEDIGO TAYLOR, a
descendant of Edward PEDIFORD, a soldier of the Revolutionary War. He was
born in Metcalfe County and married Jane HOWARD of Monroe County. He served
as Fountain Run's second postmaster 1851 to May 17, 1855. He was a saddler
by trade. Joseph and Jane HOWARD TAYLOR were the parents of Martha
Elizabeth (Bewtty GOAD, wife of Babe GOAD), Bell TAYLOR, Mary E. (Ponie
BATDORF) and John Wm. TAYLOR who married Isabella DOWNING. After the death
of his first wife, Joseph TAYLOR married a Miss EUBANKS of Poplar Log. To
this union there were born Cynthia who married Jim EATON, Willie who
married a Mr. EVANS and after his death married Simon GENTRY, and Nannie
who married Jeffie CELSOR, and Tom and Charlie TAYLOR.
  Barton W STONE served Fountain Run as postmaster 1855 to April 15, 1856.
Biography under doctors.
  Wm. P DENTON, Fountain Run's fourth post master, served 1856 to July 19,
1862. He was born near Carthage, Tennessee, Feb. 25, 1833, and died may 19,
1871. In his early manhood he came to Fountain Run and married Mary HOWARD
who was born Mar 23, 1840, and died Oct. 21, 1866. They were the parents of
three children, David DENTON, born Dec. 24, 1857, and died Apr 3, 1900.
Robert DENTON and Jim DENTON. After the death of Wm. P's first wife he
married Lizzie HUGHES, daughter of Thompson and Elizabeth JOHNSON HUGHES,
early pioneer settlers. To this union were born Billie and Lula DENTON.
David DENTON was the father of Frank, Levy and Oscar DENTON. Robert (Bob)
was the father of Fred and Jim Bob DENTON. Only Jim Bob lives in the
section of Fountain Run. He is married to Reba BISHOP and they are the
parents of one daughter, Jimmy Clay DENTON NICKOLS.
  Henry C. FRANKLIN served Fountain Run as postmaster at three different
times - 1862 to 1888, 1889 to June 22, 1893, 1897 to Dec. 24, 19902. H. C.
FRANKLIN, known as Clay, was born to Samuel and Matilda AUSTIN FRANKLIN Mar
8, 1835, in Allen County. His materrnal grandfathers, John AUSTIN and
Thomas CARUTH were each soldiers in the War of 1812, engaging in the Battle
of New Orleans. Clay FRANKLIN married Matilda DUNN, daughter of John A and
Matilda DUNN, who were extensive landowners and slave holders, on Mar 11,
1856. He embarked in the mercantile business in Fountain Run in 1856 and
owned and operated a drug store. He was a clerk of the Missionary Baptist
Church for many years. Clay and Matilda FRANKLIN were the parents of two
sons, Ben and Sam FRANKLIN and two daughters, Maggie who married Maxie B
HARLIN, and Nannie who mararied Charlie DOWNING.

Dr. Albert WEIR served as postmaster only 9 months in 1888. He was a
dentist and is accreddited with sponsoring the building of the Church of
Christ at Fountain Run.

Bird COMER, son of W & "Sis" CARUTH COMER, married Mattie HARLIN, daughter
of George HARLIN. He served Fountain as postmaster only three months.

Ben A DOWNING served as postmaster of Fountain Run from June 22, 1893, to
June 11, 1897. He was the son of Wm. R. and Malinda SEAY DOWNING. He was
married to Texan Stone, daughter of Dr. Barton W. and Martha Elizabeth
CARUTH STONE. Texan Stone DOWNING died at the age of twenty-eight leaving
Ben. A. DOWNING with five children - Ella who married Charlie AUSTIN,
Charlie who married Nannie FRANKLIN, Alma who married Milton B. GOAD,
Barton W. who first married Bessie AUSTIN and after her death married Mary
BAGBY, and Mary who married Boone GATEWOOD. Ben A. DOWNING was in the
mercantile business, prized tobacco and owned an acreage of land in
Fountain Run. He lived ninety years and his health and eye sight permitted
him to survey land until shortly before his death. He was amiable and a
friend to all men.

John H. HARLIN served as post master of Fountain Run Dec. 1902, to Jan. 8,
1912. He was the son of George HARLIN and moved to Fountain Run early in
the 1900's from Gamaliel. John HARLIN married Sada FRANCIS, daughter of Dr.
FRANCIS, of Allen County. They were the parents of one son, Sewell HARLIN.
John HARLIN, in partnership with his father, George HARLIN owned a large
mercantile store in Fountain Run until 1912 when they moved to Glasgow.
They were members of the Church of Christ.

James H SHORT served Fountain Run as postmaster Jan 8, 1912 until April 27,
1914. For many years, J H Short, with his brothers, Bob and Ora SHORT,
engaged in the mercantile business in Fountain Run under the firm name of
SHORT Bros. Jim SHORT was a strong Republican and served as a member of the
Legislature. While in this office he was influential in getting many public
benefits from the state for his community as well as the district he
served. He married Ada GOAD, daughter of Babe and Bettie GOAD, in 1904.
They were the parents of Elizabeth SHORT, a doctor of medicine at Red
Boiling Springs, Tennessee. James SHORT is retired and lives in Fountain
Run. He has two grandchildren and one great-grandchild. He is a member of
the Church of Christ.

Wm T. GOODMAN, son of Jeff GOODMAN and the great-grandson of Jacob GOODMAN,
an early settler of Fountain Run, served as postmaster from April 27, 1914,
until 1919. He was married to Toy JONES, daughter of John T. JONES. They
were the parents of Mills, Marvin, Bettie who is married to Robert EATON,
and Erbie MILLS is married to Nell CARTER. Wm. T. (Will) GOODMAN was one of
Fountain Run's early undertakers. He moved to Hardin County around 1919 and
was killed by lightning. He and his wife are buried in the cemetery at
Elizabeth Town. [sic] Ella ROARK, daughter of Scott and Sallie ROARK,
served as assistant postmaster durint the time Willie GOODMAN was postmaster.

E H COOK served as postmaster 1936 to March 3, 1938. He was the son of Will
and Lou GOODMAN COOK, daughter of Jacob GOODMAN. Edgar COOK was also a
merchant and operator of a restaurant in Fountain Run. He married Alice
GIBBS and they were the parents of Beulah who married Maxey SIMMS, and John
COOK who married Nina Dean HOWARD. He was a member of the Church of Christ.
He was a well known salesman for many years.

Virginia Howard HUGHES has the distinction of being the first woman to
serve as postmaster of Fountain Run. She was appointed Mar 3, 1938, and is
serving in that capacity at the present. She is the daughter of Arthur and
Lyda BRIDGES HOWARD. She is married to Carl HUGHES and they are the parents
of one son, Gordon HUGHES. She is an outstandingly fine woman and is a
member of the Church of Christ.

End of the postmasters - now a look at the soldiers who served from Fountain Run during the Civil War.  

Fountain Run's Part in the Civil War. Fountain Run, as was Kentucky, was
divided in its loyalties in the War between the States; its residents were
both slave owners and Union sympathizers, but some of the owners of slaves
were for the Union so their strength lay in the majority with Abe Lincoln
and the Union. Fountain Run was not in the direct path of the large armies
and did not suffer great destruction but BRAGG's Army camped nearby and
marched through the town in 1862. This is the story as told by Betty GOAD,
grandmother of the writer of this history. Betty GOAD at the time of the
Civil War was a young girl of fifteen with maiden name Martha Elizabeth
TAYLOR and after the death of her mother, Jane HOWARD TAYLOR, she lived in
Fountain Run with her Uncle Joe HOWARD. On this particular day in 1862 she
was at the Public spring for a bucket of water when there began a great
rumbling sound as of mighty thunder. Louder and louder it grew in its deep
rolling thuds until it seemed the very earth vibrated with its volume.
These were dark war days and the people were much afraid. Finally the news
traveled around that BRAGG's Army was approaching the village. An incident
that took place during the visit of this army stood out in the memory of
all the old timers. A young boy in his teens had deserted the army and was
trying to make his way to his home in Tennessee. He was captured in
Fountain Run and was court martialed and sentenced to be shot. He was taken
to a high hill on later belonging to Jim FRAIM and was fastened to a tree.
Six soldiers were blindfolded and commanded to fire simultaneously. A
bullet found its mark and the deserter fell. The parents of the boy were
notified and came in an ox cart from their home in Tennessee for the body
of their son, and they carried him back to his native home, for which he
had been so home sick, for burial. Many stories passed down by tradition
came out of this war. Bill AUSTIN, father of Charlie, Sam and Sallie AUSTIN
EATON, was a brave soldier and served in the capacity of Captain. He lost a
leg on the battlefield but this soldier did not leave his leg behind; he
brought it home with him packed in a box of salt and kept it the remainder
of his life packed thusly in the attic of his home and when he died the
severed limb was buried with his body. History records John FRAIM as the
most celebrated soldier of these parts.


Continued


Return to Monroe Co Page


This page provided by rootsweb