The Paducah Chapter was formed by Mrs. E. E. Reed in 1897, when the National Society was only seven years old. The chapter, therefore, finished its hundredth year in December of 1997. Originally conceived as the George Rogers Clark Chapter, the Paducah ladies found that another group (from outside Kentucky) had already taken the name themselves, and consequently opted for "Paducah" in honor of Chief Paduke, whom they believed to have accompanied General Clark. For a time, Paducah was home to a second DAR Chapter. The Fort Jefferson Chapter was organized by Mrs. Rosina White Bradshaw in 1910 and remained active until the late 1930s. They provided the state organization with a report in 1937 but did not do so in 1938. It may have been a telling understatement that, in the latter year, the regent of Paducah Chapter reported, "We have not been so active this year on account of the flood."|
Among them, the Paducah Chapter members have been quite active in state and national level DAR activities. Several state officers and one State Regent have come from Paducah, and two state conferences have been held here. In addition, the George Rogers Clark Society of the Children of the American Revolution, sponsored by the Paducah Chapter NSDAR, has provided leadership at the state level and national level. The most recent example of this leadership is evident in the 1995-1996 service of Jean Ellen Hiter as State President. Miss Hiter also served as Mid-Southern Regional C.A.R. Treasurer, and as Pages and Aides Chairman of the National Society of Children of the Revolution.
In addition to its support of the national and state objectives, documented elsewhere, the Paducah Chapter NSDAR has been very active in local civic service. One of the earliest and most lasting contributions of the Paducah Chapter NSDAR was the provision of a safe drinking fountain with spouts, etc. provided for both humans and horses. The Chief Paduke Statue (see at left) now located on Jefferson Street was originally purchased by the Paducah Chapter NSDAR as a part of a public fountain at Fifth and Broadway in 1909. Other fountains were commissioned at Third and Broadway, Seventh and Washington, and Tenth and Jackson. The chapter helped pay for the fountain at Yeiser Park.
The bust of George Washington that currently resides in the Market House Museum was cast for the Paducah Chapter NSDAR for presentaton to the old Washington High School as part of the dedication ceremonies of the school, and stayed there until the school was demolished. The Market House itself was preserved largely as a result of action by the membership of the Paducah Chapter NSDAR working with the city fathers.
More recently, the Paducah Chapter NSDAR contributed to the Veterans Memorial at the McCracken County Courthouse, participated in the Columbus Quincentennial, and presented American flags to new citizens at citizenship ceremonies held in Paducah in 1996 and 1997. The 1996 event was the first such to be held here in many years. The chapter celebrated its centennial birthday on December 2, 1997, including a special luncheon and the placing of a commemorative stone in a prominent location near the McCracken County Courthouse.
Currently the chapter assists the city with the Veterans Day Parade by sponsoring the essay contest.