Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War
Federal Charter issued 1954
Nelson-Garfield Memorial Camp #3
Dedication of the James Ramage Museum
Battery Hooper Ft. Wright Kentucky
In 1862 Union troops under the command of Major General Lew Wallace built the earthen battery as part of a defensive line of forts to protect Cincinnati. A six-foot-high redan, or U-shaped earthwork flanked with rifle trenches, Battery Hooper was part of an eight-mile arc of defensive positions protecting the city's southern flank on the Kentucky side of the Ohio River. As the Confederate forces of Major General Edmund Kirby Smith approached, these positions were manned by some 22,000 Union soldiers reinforced by over 50,000 citizens militia.
James A. Ramage Civil War Museum

The City of Fort Wright recently opened the Civil War Museum at Battery Hooper on Highland Avenue. The museum displays information and artifacts about the Civil War, especially the role of Northern Kentucky and Cincinnati. It includes an exhibit about Cincinnati businessman William Hooper for whom the battery was named; the other 27 batteries and forts in Northern Kentucky; and Fern and Sheldon Storer, the property’s former owners.


Museum dedication August 20th, 2005

Dr. James A. Ramage

Gun Crew

Cannoneers

Bernie O'Bryan
Home|Event Calendar|Officers|Brothers|Membership
Newsletters|Quartermaster|Union Ancestors|Activities
Archives|Department of Kentucky|National SUVCW|Contact Us
Related reading stories below in pdf format
The Best Offense A buried Civil War Battery in a Kentucky Suburb
The Battle of Perryville Bragg's Kentucky Invasion
Field Artillery Positions and Duties
Photos courtesy Jim Houston
http://www.smithsonianmag.si.edu/smithsonian/issues05/sep05/digs.html
http://www.battleofperryville.com/invasion.html
http://www.cwartillery.org/hansen.html