Published by the Wayne County Historical Society. Copyright Wayne County Historical Society, 1984.
Membership in the Wayne Conty Historical and Genealogical Society can be obtained by writing to the Society at P.O. Box 320, Monticello, KY 42633. Most recent information is that membership is $10/year. The above book was a limited edition of 500 copies and is no longer available for sale by the Society.
group at Jep Denney's Store, below the schoolhouse at Slickford. The
store was built around 1868 and is still in use. Doc Shearer owned the store before 1900 and sold it to "One Legged" Tom Powers. Powers wore a wooden leg which stuck in the mud and caused him trouble. It is said he had
a rock wall built to the height of his knee so he could walk from the Slickford Store to his house, the road, and the barn on his one good leg and the other knee.
Chapel United Methodist Church was one of the first to be
organized in Wayne Co. It was organized in the home of William Lockett about 1802. Two log houses preceded this building near the William Lockett farm. The present building was erected in 1940.
The West-Metcalf house. Back; Tom, Lizzie, Cleve, Mary, Bob.Seated; George Metcalf, Ellen Metcalf. This was Wayne County's first brick house, built by Isaac West in 1800. Elder "Raccoon" John Smith preached here and General Felix K. Zollicoffer used it as his headquarters before the battle of Mill Springs on 19 Jan 1863. After the battle it was used as a hospital for many of the wounded. Allen Russell West, Isaac's son, buried over a dozen soldiers in the family cemetery here on the West farm. Lizzie Metcalf was the last person to live in this house.
Susie Simpson House"
John Simpson and his wife, Christian, came to Wayne Co with several of their sons in 1799 and took up land in the Frazier community near Tuttle Chapel. His great grandson, Thomas Franklin Simpson (1837-1924) later
farmed the same land. This house was the home of William and Susannah (Buster) Simpson, parents of Thomas Franklin Simpson. Susannah is 4th from the left. The picture was taken in 1892.
Chapel Church and Cemetery.
The hill behind Tuttle Chapel is Umber Hill, where Benjamin Price built his fort.
Completed in 1878. Burned to the ground in 1898 when a nearby fire ignited a bird's nest in its bell tower.
Considered the county's "finest courthouse". It was designed by Thomas Pierce Milburn, grandson of Thomas Thurman Milburn. Thomas Pierce Milburn was in his day considered one of the South's outstanding architects. This
courthouse was demolished in 1949.
Simpson, Wayne County Court Clerk (1836-1862)
William Simpson was born on Lower Beaver Creek July 15, 1806. He was a son of Reuben Simpson, Jr. and Martha (Merritt) Simpson. He died 27 Mar 1869 and is buried in the Old Buster Cemetery. He was a preaching Elder at Pleasant Bend in the area now called Cooper. He is probably responsible for keeping the early Wayne County Court records.
||Wayne Co. Officials, 1911-1913
Left to right; Sam Rankin, Circuit Court Clerk, Thomas Ramsey, Sheriff, Isaac Walker, County Judge, Steve Dobbs, County Court Clerk, Eli Bell, County Attorney.
Sheriff Doc Tate with a confiscated moonshine still in 1927. He was sheriff of Wayne Co 1914-1918, 1926-1930, 1938-1942.
Book on loan from Margy Ball Miles, with our thanks!