Subjects of Perrin, Battle & Kniffin 1885 Biographies

From: Kentucky, A History of the State. Perrin, Battle & Kniffin. 2nd ed., 1885, Webster Co.
GEORGE H. TOWRY was born February 7, 1834, in Livingston, now Critttenden Co., Ky., and is a son of Manring and Rebecca (Imboden) Towry; the former a native of South Carolina, and the latter of Pennsylvania. When they were quite young, his father and mother came with their parents to Kentucky. The father died in 1864, aged sixty-four years. The mother died in 1880, aged seventy-four. George H. was reared on his father's farm and received a good common school education. In 1856, he attended the Bethany Academy in Caldwell County and later he attended the old Cumberland College at Princeton one session, after which he returned to the farm and taught school in the fall and winter for about six years. During that time he had provided himself with law books, and was engaged in the study of the law. In 1865, he was elected justice of the peace, and re-elected to that office, which he held until 1874, when he moved to Dixon, where he has since been engaged in the practice of the law. He represented Webster County in the legislature in the sessions of 1877-78. Mr. Towry is an advocate of the Greenback ticket, having become identified with that party in 1877. He was a delegate in May, 1884, to the national convention at Indianapolis. Much of his time he is devoting to delivering speeches, and otherwise advancing the interest of the Greenback party. He was married, in 1864, to Miss Jane O'Neal, of Crittenden County, who died in 1871. His second marriage was in September, 1872, to Miss Lue J. Deal, of Union County. This lady is a member of the Christian Church. Mr. Towry is a member of the Masonic fraternity.

ALLEN WATSON was born in Davidson County, Tenn., April 3, 1832, to William and Ara (Fipps) Watson, natives of South Carolina and Philadelphia, Penn. They were of Irish and German descent, respectively. William Watson, at the age of sixteen, in about 1796, removed with his widowed mother to Tennessee, where he was afterward married, and engaged in agricultural pursuits until the fall of 1848, when he came to what is now Webster County, Ky., but was then a part of Union County, here he bought a farm upon which he resided until his death, March 10, 1872, in his ninety-second year. Allen Watson was employed on his father's farm until of age, after which he and his brother farmed the home place on shares for a time. He then bought a farm in what is now Webster County, Ky., upon which he resided until the fall of 1879, when he sold out and bought his present farm. He was married, in September, 1854, to Miss Fannie Harmon, a native of Hopkins County, Ky. Eight sons and four daughters have blessed their union, all yet living. Both Mr. Watson and wife are members of the United Baptist Church. In politics he is a Democrat.

B. WATSON was born July 26, 1840, in Spencer County, Ky. He is a son of John and Elizabeth (Lindle) Watson, both natives of Kentucky. In 1852 they removed to Union County, and engaged in agricultural pursuits; they now reside in Clay. Our subject, at the age of twenty, commenced to work at the carpenter's trade, and at the breaking out of the war he entered the Federal army, in which he remained three years. On his return from the army, he engaged in the tobacco business, and in this he has since been identified. He employs about twenty-five hands, and handles annually about 250,000 pounds. Mr. Watson was married, January 14, 1863, to Elizabeth Davis, of Webster County. One son gladdens their home. Both are consistent members of the United Baptist Church.

DR. HARMAN H. WHITSON was born June 24, 1834, in Wilson County, Tenn., where he lived until 1850, when he removed with his parents to Logan County, Ky.; remaining three years, he returned to Tennessee, and in 1857 came to Kentucky again. His father, John Whitson, a native of Coffee County, Tenn., removed with his parents to Wilson County in infancy, was a gallant soldier in the war of 1812, and died in 1869, at the age of seventy-five years. He was the son of Abram Whitson, a soldier of the Revolution. John Whitson married Susan, daughter of Isaac Green, of Tennessee. She died in 1850. Their offspring are James, Elijah, Elisha, Franklin and our subject. H. H. Whitson was married, August 19, 1857, to Miss Annie E., daughter of Robert and Ann (Dearing) Moore, of Muhlenburgh [sic] County, Ky. (born August 19, 1837), and to them have been born David W., Jennie (deceased) and Robert H. In 1854, Mr. Whitson commenced the study of medicine with Dr. Matthew Cowan, of Cole's Ferry, Tenn., and in 1857 graduated at Nashville, after which he located at Pond River Mills, Ky., where he soon established a good and lucrative practice, which he retained until 1882, when he located at Slaughterville, his present place of residence, where he is meeting with encouraging success. Dr. Whitson is a member of the Masonic fraternity, also of the K. of H. In religion he is a Baptist, and in politics a Democrat.

D.C. WHITTINGHILL was born in Hancock County, Ky., March 18, 1854, a son of David and Margaret (Phillips) Whittinghill, natives of Ohio County, Ky., and of German and Irish descent. David Whittinghill was married in his native county, where he was engaged in agricultural pursuits, in connection with the ministry, until 1864, when he removed to Hopkins county and bought a farm four miles west of Madisonville, upon which he still resides. He has been a regularly ordained minister of the Missionary Baptist Church for the past twenty-five or thirty years. Mrs. Margaret Whittinghill departed this life April 7, 1881, in her fifty-ninth year. She was from her girlhood a devoted member of the Missionary Baptist Church. D.C. Whittinghill (our subject) received a good common school and academic education in his youth and also attended the Bethel College of Russellville, Ky., for a time. He was employed on his father's farm until he attained his majority. He then taught a five-months' term of school, after which he engaged in farming on his own account for three years. He was then engaged in the lumber business at Madisonville for two years, and in the grain trade for one year at the same place. In May, 1883, he came to Providence, where he has since been employed as agent for the Louisville and Nashville Railway, and in the grain trade, at which he is doing a thriving business. Mr. Whittinghill is yet unmarried. He is a member of the Missionary Baptist Church and in politics a Democrat.

SYLVESTER H. WILLIAMS was born in Henderson County, Ky., April 30, 1819, to Burle and Zillotis (Sugg) Williams, the former of whom was a native of North Carolina, and the latter of Virginia, and of English descent. Burle Williams, when a young man, came with his parents to Henderson County, Ky. Here his father, James Williams, who was among the earliest settlers of the county, bought wild land and improved a farm. In that county Burle was afterward married, and there he bought a farm, upon which he resided until 1821, when he sold out and removed to Graves County. Here he bought another farm, upon which he resided until his death in 1829, in about his fiftieth year. Sylvester H. Williams received a fair common school education in youth. After his father's death he made his home with his uncle, Robert Robertson, who resided near Providence until he was sixteen years old. He then went to Providence where he was employed for one year at the cabinet business, after which he learned the saddler's trade, following the same for about four years. After this he was engaged in the grocery trade at Providence for some six or seven years. In 1850 he bought 190 acres of wild land three miles northeast from Providence, where he has since improved the farm, upon which he now resides, and to which he has added from time to time, now owning well-improved farms amounting to about 1,100 or 1,200 acres. Here he is extensively and succesfully engaged in agricultural pursuits and the live stock trade. He was first married in 1847 to Miss Prudy Kennadey, a native of what is now Webster County, Ky. To this union were born three children, only one of whom - Henry B. - is now living. Mrs. Prudy departed this life in January, 1863. Mr. Williams was next married, in September, 1863, to Miss Sallie J. Bassett, a native of Hopkins County, Ky. Three sons and three daughters have blessed their union. Both Mr. Williams and wife are members of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church. He is also a member of the Masonic fraternity and in politics is a Democrat.

Next page of Biographies
Back to Index of Biographies
Back to Webster County Home Page