DR. JOSEPH DICKSON FORD BIOGRAPHY

Joseph Dickson Ford, Napoleonville, Assumption parish, La., was born in Dublin, Ireland, May 20th, 1820. His preliminary education was received in Liverpool; his professional education began in Montreal, Canada, in the office of Dr. McColloch; was continued in Geneva, N.Y., and from the Geneva med. Coll. He received his degree of M.D. in January, 1841. In the same year he began practice in Chemung, N.Y., removed in 1843 to Ridgebury, Orange co., N.Y. and in July 1844 finally established himself in Assumption parish, La. During the ensuing twelve years he was actively engaged in professional duties, but having become interested in sugar planting, he relinquished practice in 1856, and entirely devoted himself to the management of his plantation. Since the war, his estate being unproductive, he has resumed his profession. He is now the oldest physician in “Lafourche country,” nearly fifty who have come to the region since 1844 having died at their work.

Source: Atkinson, William Biddle The Physicians and Surgeons of the United States, C. Robson, 1878, page 59

Genealogical Notes

1860 Assumption Parish Federal Census
Page 292
1303-1303
Jos. D. Ford: 40, Sugar Planter, Ireland
Jane Carr: 55, Ireland


1870 Assumption Parish Federal Census
Page 288
Napoleonville
44-63
Joseph D. Ford: 50, Physician, $11,000, Ireland
Anne Ford: 55, Keeping House, Ireland
William Ford: 16, Louisiana

1880 Assumption Parish Federal Census
Page 292A
Joe D. Ford: 60, Doctor, Ireland
Anne Ford: 70, Keep House, Ireland

Submitted by Bob Franks

Home
 

Back to the Assumption Parish LAGenWeb Project Main Page

THIS PARISH IS UP FOR ADOPTION
Edward Hayden, State Coordinator
Annette Womack, Assistant State Coordinator
THE ASSUMPTION PARISH LAGenWeb PROJECT

A Part of the LAGenWeb and USGenWeb projects
Submitted Material Remains the Property of the Submitter
This site utilizes CSS technology and is best viewed using Internet Explorer or Netscape Navigator versions 4.0 or greater.
Some of the photographs on this website are courtesy of the Library of Congress, Prints and Photographs Division