History of Trinity
From DeBow's Review 1852
This village derives its name from its position at the triple confluence of the Tensas, Ouachitta, and Little rivers, and is situated between the two last-namned streams.
As early as 1804, this place attracted the attention of Dunbar and Hunter, as a highly eligible position, and they predicted that at some future day a large town would certainly spring up here.
A man named Eliphalet Plowden, who had been living on Black River at an early date, settled here in 1818, on the little mound on the bank of the Ouachitta, not far above Capt. J. M. Philips' residence.
A man named John Brown lived here marny years, and in 1831 he
entered the land immediately in the poinit. James M. Daughters bought the land
fiom Brown about 136-7, and also entered more adjoining, higher up on the Ouachitta.
employed John Daniels to lay off the land into town lots in 1837, and make a map of the same.
Daughters built the first house in the place that year, which was afterwards occupied as a store, by A. S. Barr, and is still standing opposite to the steam saw-mill.
Felix Robb had a store on the bank of the Ouachitta, just at the present upper limits of the town, in 1836. In 1837, A. S. Barr and Anderson opened a store here.
In 1837, F. Robb began to build what is now known as the Courtad
house, on the corner; the lumber for this was partly obtained firom mills in
the pine woods, and partly sawed by hand, and cost $30 per thousand when delivered
on the ground. He also had the two first brick chimneys put up here by Hughes
Wilson, but the bricks were very mean, and the job was badly done; the bricks
cost $17 50 per thousand.
Mr. Daughters died, and the lands here were bought by Lester, at the public sale of his estate. After the death of Lester, his widow disposed of the property to Rev. W. H. Turnley. Many of the lots, however, had been disposed of previously. In 1848, the remaining lots, amounting to 81, were disposed of by lottery at $10 each, there being, no blanks.
At this time the population of Trinity amounts to two hundred,
and was greater in 1849, but owing to the cholera and high water of 1850, many
persons left. Property has improved very much, and when the levee is completed.
which is now being thrown up, no doubt the value will be still more enhanced.
There are four stores and four grocery establishments, two billiard tables and two ten-pin alleys, with an aggregate capital of $35,000.
The first drug store was put up by Dr. J. J. Dearing, in 1850.
There are two tailor shops, one tavern, and one smith shop.
There are three ferries kept at this point which, owing to the immense amount of western emigration, are very profitable.
The first brick house was begun by A. S. Barr, in 1850, and completed in 1851 by M. Gillis, his surviving partner; the brick-work was done by Andrew Beck; the wood-work mostly by Benj. Vaughan; and the entire cost was $3.000.
There is only one church edifice in the place, which was erected by the joint contributions of the whole community. It is a neat frame building, 50x30 feet, with a belfry; was built by Messrs. Stout and Lehman, in 1848.
There are few places in the South possessed of more advantages than Trinity, for an outlay of capital in manufacturing establishments. The communication with New-Orleans is always open the whole year round; the Little River affords a short and easy intercourse with the pine hills for at least four months of the year, where any amount of pine and other timber can be easily and cheaply obtained; while the Ouachitta and Tensas bring down immense rafts of cypress and ash every winter and spring.