Natchitoches Parish, Louisiana
The Bludworth Cemetery is located about 0.6 miles west of the Natchitoches / Sabine Parish boundary, located on private land, west of the Kisatchie Forest complex center on Louisiana Highway 117 south of Bellwood, La. The cemetery is situated on lands formerly owned by Poitevent Bludworth (middle 1800's) and later owned by the Dowden family (J. A.'Andy' Dowden and son, Squire Edward Andrew Dowden, and grandson, James Andrew Dowden).
Well populated in the early 1900's by farmers and stockmen (horses, cattle, and sheep), the area boasted a church and a school: the Lone Star School. It is felt that the oldest marked burial in this cemetery is the gravesite of the wife of Poitevent Bludworth, Mary Elisabeth Applewhite Bludworth. A large stone marker is located nearby, but it has no inscription to indicate the burial of her husband.
The cemetery contains markers for John Jephthey Alford and his wife Catherine Cordelphia Williams. According to D. Weinell, a descendant, unmarked burials include Joseph Warren Alford and Euphemia S. Cook Alford, the parents of John Jephthey.
Mr. Weinell, visiting the cemetery in 2001, gives the location of the Bludworth Cemetery as: Section 24, Township 6 North, Range 9 West, Sabine Parish. Map coordinates are: 31 degrees, 29 minutes, 01 seconds North Latitude and 93 degrees, 14 minutes, 48 seconds West Longitude.
************** Peace in the Valley ***************
ALFORD, J. J. ( May 1, 1862 / May 23, 1929 )
(Son of J. A. Dowden and Narcissus Davis)
(Husband of Sarah Emmarilla Hildebrand ( Nov. 22, 1855 / Nov. 28, 1961)
(Buried at Pine Grove Cemetery, Hagewood, LA)
(Father of James Andrew Dowden ( April 20, 1886 / Nov. 14, 1973)
(Buried Middle Creek Cemetery, Sabine Parish, LA)
(Father of Robert Allie Dowden ( Sept. 28, 1881 / June 6, 1962)
(Buried Pine Grove Cemetery, Hagewood, LA)
( nee Alford)
***Information furnished by the Beasley and Dowden Families***
Back to Natchitoches Parish Cemeteries