Fleming Cemetery is located in northwest Natchitoches Parish, near Beulah. Take Hwy 487 N from Marthaville, go 5 miles, turn left on Rocks Creek road, travel about a mile and a half, turn left at marker. The Fleming Cemetery was established in 1840 on the property of Bartlett and Sophia Fleming. Charlie Sheets was the first person buried in the Fleming Cemetery; his brother-in-law Bartlett Fleming was next, both in the year 1840. A hand-carved wooden marker, no longer in existence, inscribed William A. Athey, age 15, stood for many years marking a gravesite, possibly the third person buried there. These gravesites are no longer marked.
According to E.S. James, the cemetery was once larger, spanning from the top of the hill, which is now enclosed, down to the edge of the creek. The older wire fencing was taken down and the new chain link fence installed around the marked graves on top of the hill. Down the hill towards the creek, a few grave indentions can still be made out. Included in the listing are the names of persons known to be buried in the Fleming Cemetery, but have no markers. Unmarked gravesites are indicated by the (UM) abbreviation. It is possible that there are other unmarked burials, lost to time.
Thanks to the people of the Bethany-Jennings Chapel Community, to Ethel Wagley and to E.S. James for the information relative to these unmarked graves, as well as to the author of the Tommy Jennings book, which contains much local history. (Listing and data submitted by Myra Dowden, 2001).
To Natchitoches Parish Cemeteries
To Natchitoches Parish Selection Page
You are the 4113
visitor to this page since this counter was installed on 24 November 2001.