Harmony Cemetery, Natchitoches Parish, LA

Harmony Baptist Church, established 1869: sign at the intersection of LA Hwy 117 and Harmony Road about one mile south of Provencal, LA.

Harmony Baptist Church and Cemetery are located in a lovely wooded area. To the right of the church is a large fenced and grassy section of the cemetery. To the left of the church, is a smaller fenced area, which is referred to as the Brister Family Cemetery.

Immediately to the rear of the church are four legible tombstones:

In the hillside section of the cemetery, to the right of the church, there is one illegible marked burial adjacent to the gravesite of G.W. Graham.

There is also a small grave marked with a wooden cross and flowers near the Poole and Gottman plots, although the placement is not close enough to indicate a relationship to either family.

An interesting marker is the plaque placed at the entrance to the hill section of the cemetery inscribed: In Memory His Wife, Algia W. Werntz, by Charles F. Werntz. This memorial is apparently in additon to the double stone marking the grave of Algia Werntz.

The spacious grounds of the Harmony Church and Cemeteries are well kept, shady, and peaceful. Although situated in a sparsely settled area, the church has an active membership.


Location: Approximately one mile south of Provencal, turn east on Harmony Road; the church and cemetery are about three miles down this road, on the left.


Special thanks to Mrs. Mary M. Brister, Sterling Liles, and Sheldon Liles for assistance in compiling the data herein.
N. Liles, 1996-1998.







Back to Natchitoches Parish

Back to Natchitoches Parish Cemeteries